• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD making loud noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

Hi
one of my HDs makes a lot of noise I wonder if there's anything you can do about that?
I'm already having it go to sleep mode but I also often need the drive...

The HD in question is:
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (1000,2 GB) (HD103SJ)

thx

First thing to do is back anything on it you don't care to lose.

Second thing is to replace it. I cannot imagine any situation where a drive starts to make a loud noise and continues long term reliable operation. You can spend some time with diagnostics and might determine why it is about to malfunction but there are not generally user repairable parts that can be replaced when they wear out.

Of course you first need to make sure it's the drive and not a case/CPU/PSU/GPU fan that is making noise. If you just hear a noise from the PC is is most likely a fan going bad.

Good luck!

First thing to do is back anything on it you don't care to lose.

Second thing is to replace it. I cannot imagine any situation where a drive starts to make a loud noise and continues long term reliable operation. You can spend some time with diagnostics and might determine why it is about to malfunction but there are not generally user repairable parts that can be replaced when they wear out.

Of course you first need to make sure it's the drive and not a case/CPU/PSU/GPU fan that is making noise. If you just hear a noise from the PC is is most likely a fan going bad.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply HankB. The drive has been making noise for years now... which makes me think its just loud type. It also has been reliable. the way I found it's the drive that's making the noise was by restarting it after it had gone to the sleep mode.

EDIT: I ran CrystakDiskInfo and it reported the drive to be in good status.

Last edited:
Hi @data1!

What type of noise does the drive make? Can you upload some recording so we can hear?

For instance, if the sound is related to the vibrations of the drive you can reduce them noise you can try to put something between the 2 contacts to act as a dampener. Preferably something that can't hold a static charge, or in anyway conductive - for example a rubber cladding beneath the HDD, or a rubber between the HDD cage and the frame in which it goes inside the case should do the job.

Cheers! :)

Back