• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Preparing the loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HirscherM

Registered
I've had all my components for about a year. Today I am setting up my loop.
Do I need to clean all my waterblocks ect... or do I need to just clean my radiator?
If so how do I need to clean my radiator seen as its never been used but is a year old.
Many Thanks

I flush all my components with water before my first use but I do not disassemble them to clean them.

As for the radiator. I fill it with boilling water, blank the openings and then shake it and turn it and shake it some more. I then drain and repeat. I then add some white vinegar and more water and then do it again. I then flush it with hot water a few more times until there is no odor of vinegar and the rinse is coming out clear with no debris. I do all of this using distilled water.

Don't need to use distilled till you do the final rinse. Especially if you live in a country where distilled or deionized is expensive

Good point I forget that distilled water is cheap here compared to other areas.

So how do I actually flush my other components? Do I just induviadually attach my pump to each component that get rid of the water then is pumped out?
How much vinegar do I add (560mm rad)

Put them under the sink and run water through them. You don't need vinegar. If you must 10% vinegar. Vinegar can cause copper to turn blue. So take care.

Fill a large pan with water, say 1 gallon. Add 1/10th gallon of vinegar to the gallon or so. It's not rocket science. Heat to very hot not boiling. Do the rad dance for 5-10 min.

I never did the vinegar back in 2008 on my first and later loops. You can read about that in the stickies if you wish.....

I did use vinegar to remove oxidation on my copper blocks after using them for a year. You can read about that in the stickies if you wish.....

Thank you,
So no vinegar then. Do I need to clean my pump?
Ive got a pump top on it if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Well no, but I opened mine up because science and wanted to make sure there was no stuff. I did/do water pump/air/hyd/electronics/mechanical at work so I knew how 'stuff works', so I was comfortable doing it. I'd say no worries. But you could make a mini loop with a bucket and a sink. Again, no worries, I'm sure it will be fine, I was just worried about a packing foam piece in the box.

Umm did you read the stickies? Just making sure. Looks like your being smart, thank you. Take your time please. Leak test.

Took me 3+ days for the first build. All is /was good. I don't WC anymore, just not into it and don't need a uber PC anymore.

Thanks, so instead of opening the pump i could just make a mini loop and this would have the same cleaning effect as opening the pump and cleaning it?
Yeh read the stickies theyre useful

Last edited:
If you don't have the energy to do the "radiator dance", here's a great method by spending a few bucks and creating a external filtered loop for cleaning your H20 gear. I'm probably still planning on purchasing such a thing in the future.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

If you don't have the energy to do the "radiator dance", here's a great method by spending a few bucks and creating a external filtered loop for cleaning your H20 gear. I'm probably still planning on purchasing such a thing in the future.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

yeh unfortunately i dont have enough distilled water for that haha....
but im gonna do that with my cpu and gpu blocks cause theyre already installed on my motherboard.
Would be cool to have one of those though

I thought at first rinsing of components over the top, Since I had everything delivered at work I took high pressure air to everything.

While filling my system the first time there were a few mystery flecks of flotsam, I saw that and re-drained twice before adding the prep chemical.

I destroyed a full gallon of distilled water in the process, thankfully my running with scissors attitude did not burn me.

Gaa, you guys are crazy. We ain't working on a NASA Jupiter probe.

I just don't know what to say...

I destroyed a gallon of distilled.. A total of $1.08. Ack.... LOL HAHAHA

"Yea I read them, I glanced, I understand. I'm ready." Stickies rock in a millisecond of review.

Build slow, be smart. It's all you need. I didn't have any stickies back then, I did great and I'm not a rocket scientist by any means. I didn't graduate high school.

Do it. If you screw up do it again. It's just a PC, not like it matters in the big scheme of things.

As Nike said, "Do it"

Not with scissors at 500 KPH. It hurts. Ask the dead guys. LOL

That was funny!

thankfully my running with scissors attitude did not burn me.

Back