• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I set a base clock for my old NVIDIA laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdog0820

Hello, so this may seem like a bad idea, but I successfully overclocked my 2008 dell Vostro 1700 Laptop with a nvidia geforce 8400m gs from 400Mhz to 598Mhz on the core clock and 400 to 547Mhz for memory. It has been overclocked for over a year with no heat problems. The performance boost is unbelieveable! Anyways, the base clock which seems to run around 168Mhz core and 100 memory is a little low. This is an issue because any animation such as scrolling on a webpage to minimizing and maximizing on windows is not as smooth, but once the 600Mhz and 647Mhz kicks in, the scrolling is a buttery smooth experience. Is there any way to increase the idle to where I don't have to wait 30 seconds for the core and memory clock to kick in?? The computer recognizes it needs to run at a higher clock speed for scrolling and stuff but it takes about 30 seconds of me constantly scrolling. You may say whats wrong with waiting 30 seconds? Well as soon as a stop scrooling it idles back down. It just would be very nice to have a smooth experience right away. I don't think I even need 600Mhz probably a 300Mhz base clock should do. Thanks!

Brandon

:welcome:

Have something running in the background the uses the GPU (activates it enough to raise clock speed) even when idle, the Blizzard game launcher or i think it was Chrome browser did the trick. You will have higher temps though.

Back