• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my poor old maxtor.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have a very old Maxtor external hard drive that I store my music collection on, the poor old thing has seen the whole of this world in our travels and has never skipped a beat.
the old plastic enclosure is cracked from when they dropped my luggage on Fiji, it still spills a little sand from the trip to nambia this year, it even survived my flipping the rally truck there.
it's on it's 8th or 10th power adaptor, umpteenth usb cord, this thing has been great but tonight it has made it's first noise, that special "click" known as the click of death...........
it has soothed me with music by every artist I ever care to hear, from ac/dc to alice in chains, from rl burnside, herman brood, bb king to yo yo ma and zz top.
what can I trust my ear holes to now that my dear friend is on it's way out?

but if I don't find another awesome drive I wont anymore and that would make me sad.

I've had a WD Passport with my mp3 collection on it for many years. So far, so good. :) I also have everything stored a 120GB Zune, soooo... yeah. lol

Good luck getting your collection backed up!

I have a very old Maxtor external hard drive that I store my music collection on, the poor old thing has seen the whole of this world in our travels and has never skipped a beat.
the old plastic enclosure is cracked from when they dropped my luggage on Fiji, it still spills a little sand from the trip to nambia this year, it even survived my flipping the rally truck there.
it's on it's 8th or 10th power adaptor, umpteenth usb cord, this thing has been great but tonight it has made it's first noise, that special "click" known as the click of death...........
it has soothed me with music by every artist I ever care to hear, from ac/dc to alice in chains, from rl burnside, herman brood, bb king to yo yo ma and zz top.
what can I trust my ear holes to now that my dear friend is on it's way out?

When did you get it? I bet it's a Seagate with the Maxtor name slapped on it! If post-2005! That may be why it's got a click of death... Except for the Maxtor 6Exxxxx series, which were the worst Maxtors... For Maxtor standards, they were soo low!

Pre-2006 Maxtor, FTW!

I really don't know exactly what's inside the case, and yes, it's slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

If it's from that long ago you can probably find a bigger SSD now that costs pennies. And with your use case (almost write-once-never-delete) an SSD would last pretty much forever!

it's 250 gig but it really needs to be closer to a TB to take all the tunes with me and have some space to grow.

Back