• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent pins on LGA 1151. Need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frontsidebuz

Hi guys. Yesterday I decided to build my new system (asus z170A with i5 6600k) and on my dumbest move ever I just bent 3 pins from the mobo when tooking out the socket protection

I spent a couple of hours trying to bend them back in line again, and this is the best I could get:
(Pics below)

I know the best option in situations like this is always trying to return the mobo but rma is not an option for me since I got it overseas, so I need your expertise on this:

- Do the pins need to be perfectly aligned for the cpu to work without issues?
- Do you think that Im currently in condition to test the cpu at this stage or do I need to keep working on aligning the pins a little more?

Before:

29njm83.jpg
2ue5ftz.jpg

After:

dfbots.jpg
w6v6gn.jpg
w1y22t.jpg

Thankss!

Looks to me like you did a fine job, the only way to know is to test it. Looks to me like it'll work.

That takes a lot of patience

You won't know until you build it. Working too much back and forth on bent pins will probably break off a few. If they look reasonably upright there is only so much you can do without a good eye and the proper tools. Do the best you can and assemble and see what happens, nothing more to lose. I thought I bent a few on my 1151 board by dropping the CPU from a very short distance. You get paranoid when it happens because then they ALL look bent!

Looking at them became an optical illusion to my older eyes even with a magnifier so I just assembled it and voila! It all worked.

If you didn't highlight the areas with the bent pins, I would not be able to tell you where they were on the pictures.

Nice job man! :thup:
Fire it up!!

The onliest way you'll know is to try....you could always borrow a proc from someone you don't really care for ;)

I'd be willin' to stake ED's reputation on your bein' fine :D

Back