• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Lian Li PC-O9 - Maximus Leader in a glass house

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sharangir

Registered
I finished my last project about 5 years ago. Have been upgrading where possible over the years and finally found myself in the spot where the CPU isn't enough anymore.
I decided to start something new entirely, instead of trying to squeeze the new hardware into the old case.

Last time, my focus was on computer games, but this has shifted somewhat. Nowadays I use my computer mostly for work, which includes both Office as well as Lightroom/Photoshop applications and I only rarely get to play games (but I'm really exited about the new Mass Effect).

The Lian Li PC-O9 may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really love this case and will likely keep it for the next 10 years to come. (So, the high price tag isn't such a bad investment for me)

Water will obviously be involved and I hope that the finished product will be considered a work of art more so than a simple computer.
Last time I checked, I still had two left hands, but I'll still try my luck with the PETG tubing from Monsoon.

I'm going for a super silent system, so I decided to get Noiseblocker Multiframes with PWM control

Since I'm not one for UV bling and pastel colours, I chose my colour scheme based on the mainboard.
The blocks are all nickel plated with acetal, so I'll use chrome fittings and the lighting will be white and some red (mainboard)

I'll use pure, distilled water (haven't had an issue in over 3 years (only changed water once when I replaced the GPU) without any other additives (except for some red food colouring)) again.
But, I consider adding some Fluorescein to the water, to be able to spot leaks quickly. (The reservoir is in the rear chamber, so you wouldn't see the green water anyways)
I also have loads of quinine at home, which leaves the water colourless, but this wouldn't be as easy to detect when there's a leak. (I do have UV flashlights, though)

Let's go then...

Hardware:
Case: Lian Li PC-O9WX
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula
RAM: 4 x 8 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz Cl15
GPU: Radeon R9 290
Sound: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair AX860i

Peripherals:
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70
Mouse: Mionix NAOS 7000
Speakers: Yamaha HS5
Screen: EIZO CS270

Sleeving: MDPC-X
Shade 19, Color-X, Platinum Grey

_c5t5711vjld0.jpg

Water cooling:
CPU: Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos XT
GPU: Heatkiller GPU-X3 R9-290X (with backplate)
Pump: Alphacool VPP655 (Laing D5)
Reservoir: Alphacool Eisbecher 150mm Acetal
Radiator: Alphacool XT45 360mm Full Copper
Radiator 2: Alphacool ST30 360mm X-Flow Full Copper
Fans: Noiseblocker NB Multiframe 120mm (6 x M12-PS 1'500rpm PWM for rads and two M12-1 750rpm fans for case)

Tubes: Monsoon 1/2x5/8" PETG hard tubes white
Fittings: Monsoon 1/2x5/8" hard tube fittings (chrome and black)
Drain: Alphacool T-piece with Eiszapfen 2-way valve

key:
ready/ordered, not yet ready

Current state
Windows up and running, cables and tubing installed, hardware installed.
mbp0486404ujj.jpg

One RAM bar is defective and needs replacement. LED need to be installed, hardware cleaned, final pictures taken, benchmarks run, overclocking performed, etc.

Last edited:
When I received Mainboard and case, I quickly assembled it - using my old HD5850 to stand in for my R9 290 that is still being used - to have a template for my paint job.. :D
_c5t5743v5yee.jpg

Then I worked some painterly magic..
tubing-3n5lw6.jpg

Rear chamber:
orange = reservoir and pump
pump sitting on a shoggy sandwich and the reservoir mounted on the center fan of the radiator (Alphacool NexXxos XT45) above the pump.
The radiator and 3 fans will also be in the rear chamber. (all those items should fit in there, leaving loads of free space in the main chamber.)

That's how much space I've got between pump and power supply:
_c5t5734nwbhr.jpg

yellow lnes = Primochill tubing (in white or black.. not decided yet) connecting rad - res - pump - bulkhead connector in the mainboard tray

in the main chamber we see:
green = Monsoon PETG tubing (1/2 x 5/8") with Monsoon fittings in chrome and black (the black ones go on the rads and the bulkhead in the tray)
blue = top radiator (Alphacool X-Flow)

There are probably going to be a few issues with the X-Flow rad.
1. In the upper left corner there's gonna be some tight action, because the opening in the rad is all the way back in the corner.
2. The connection between the two radiators might turn out to be somewhat fiddly, but I must get that one perfect, because it's gonna be one of the most prominent tubes you see when looking straight at the case.

I also removed the pump pedestal since I'm not going to place it in the main chamber...
_c5t5755udl1i.jpg

You actually have to remove the filter holder to reach the screws..
_c5t5752kmx77.jpg

While I was at it, I also took out the fans..
_c5t5754v6z67.jpg

Those weird rubber things will probably have to leave too.. I'll decide once I've got some sleeving done.
_c5t5753uuls2.jpg

I'll never get why they decided to ditch the beautiful quick-swap system I have in my PC-P50 Armorsuit...
_c5t5757jwxv0.jpg

On my screwing spree (no pun intended) I also decided to remove the PCI slot covers.. WHY would they not use thumb screws?
_c5t5750i7xw6.jpg

Since I don't like "foreign" light entering my computer, I'll install solid slot covers instead.

Oh.. and here's a question:
Would you polish the pump cover or leave it as it is?
_c5t57581dl7z.jpg

I'm kinda torn, because I really like how it looks now.. and I can't go back if I polish it :D

Hey Sharangir! :welcome:

Sweet set of specs there:shock:

Hey Man! I just got that pump!!!
for my latest TheBianch upgrade (sig)

IMG_2601.JPG

Mine is pretty shiny, I wouldn't mess with it unless its a very fine grade hand applied polish.
WITHOUT ANY ALCOHOL.
I use Brillianize for acrylic. This is plexi, but still be careful man.

And, yeah, Whatever Blaylock said +1

Cheers!

Thanks guys!

That's already more feedback than I got in all the German forums combined.. :clap:

I might have to elongate the slits in the top frame. The rad need 33,5mm to the rear and I measured.. well.. it looked like 33,5mm, so it'll probably be about 33,4mm and not fit :D
_c5t5720lil1i.jpg

This is my rad/fan dummy in place.. of course I forgot to account for those 33mm or so that the fans leave free to the rear wall, but it's still going to be tight to get a hard tube in there.. (oh man, no pun!)
_c5t5726rwyg4.jpg

Another thing that's bothering me.. why could they not design a small plug instead of soldering the i/o cables to the panel? How am I supposed to fit my sata sleeve over this huge connector?
_c5t5737dxybu.jpg

Sharangir said:
That's already more feedback than I got in all the German forums combined..

Great to hear! That's what we are here for:cool:

Uh, in that pic it shows your USB 3.1 cables, I don't see any SATA cables, so I assume that's what you mean...

Yeah, they didn't put too much thought into the USB 3.1 connector. I don't think they could have designed it more bulky.
I have experienced problems with this on numerous occasions. Especially if the mobo header is parallel instead of perpendicular, as its seems to be on most current and new gen mobo....

I have never sleeved as USB 3.1 cable, I try to hide them away best possible.
I have used this internal extension, but it kinda blows...
http://www.performance-pcs.com/usb-...ader-adapter-cable-low-profile-connector.html

It seems there is a larger/better selection now. Look at the others...

Here is some illustration...

IMAG0056.jpg

I had no room! It would have been impossible to use the panel cable as is.

IMAG0060.jpg

So I stash the USB cord in an empty bay area
IMG_2438.JPG

BE CAREFUL - I WASN'T!!
Cost me an entire day to pull the mobo and operate on the pins.
IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

Have Fun!

Prost!

Yeah, sorry.. I did mean the USB 3.1 cables that I want to sleeve.. but I only have SATA Sleeve from MDPC-X..

If only they connected it via plugs at the I/O panel, I could simply unplug them (since they couldn't be larger than actual USB connectors) and put my sleeves on from that side.
I've seen people cutting cables and soldering them back together, but I've never wielded a soldering iron before, so it won't be me :D

I guess I'll have to see how terrible it looks then, because an extender won't help me (still not gonna get any sleeve over that thing)

err, uh sorry... We both meant USB 3.0...

I have not looked, but I am unfamiliar with "SATA Sleeve"???
But sleeving is like disk disk space, just way cheaper. You just buy more when you need it:cool:

I understand your need to sleeve, believe me I do.... but an extender can look cool by itself, possibly...
I am going to need one for the front panel USB 3.0 cables on my current proj "Father Time" (sig).
And want to replace the one I illustrated. Here is what I am looking at..

View all wishlist items

Cheers!

Sata sleeve is the one you use for sata cables.
It will fit over sata connectors but I doubt I can squeeze it over that fugly usb connector.

I could just leave all the cables be if I wanted them to be slim and black, since the corsair has all cables that way :)

But I'm a "no compromise" kinda person, so I'd rather cut those suckers off than use them without sleeve.. :mad:

Santa came early this year :D
_c5t5765vdx5f.jpg

They're already sleeved, but I'll have to do it myself anyways.. I want to use my own colours and those exposed wires on the frame are a no-no!
_c5t5791icarc.jpg

The rubber frame is amazing!
_c5t57934ka32.jpg

I already had Noiseblockers in my old rig, but these Multiframes up the game by several levels! :thumb:
I mean, the bequiets I have in some other rigs are pretty awesome too, but they look and feel like normal fans.. The Noiseblockers have an air of "high end" about them.

Oh yeah..
got some other stuff too
_c5t5795ecxk9.jpg

Won't be home for the next two weeks, but I should receive loads of stuff very soon:
MDPC Sleeving, CPU cooler and my Aquatuning orders (LOADS of the good stuff!!!)

Mmmm that looks delicious.

Nice braiding on the NB's too. Do they come out of the box like that or was this a special order?

They come sleeved like that.
But I'll have to do it over again.. too muche compromise, black and incomplete :)

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: - nice gear!!!!!

I believe we have a new member of the OCFMOCD support group!

Salud!

What's OCFMOCD?
I searched it in the forum and on google and found nothing :-/

I'd guess it's got something to do with:
Over Clockers Forum Modder OCD ?

I've never heard it either Sharangir, but if it is, it's a pretty big group. I've always said to myself "My OCF has OCD" LOL

Yeah... about that Sleeve :D
I received some more mail...

_c5t5770xxz8l.jpg

Tipped Nils off about my profession :D
_c5t5768b9ax5.jpg

_c5t5769xxz0e.jpg

Found some sample sleeve in there, as usual..
_c5t5778epbug.jpg

the SATA sleeve
_c5t5780cglo0.jpg

some cable management stuff.. (although I might encounter some trouble using these, because I don't have any threads for screws anywhere :D
_c5t5772vzxp6.jpg

For the shortened PCI-Ex wires (If I find myself in a need of performing any such surgery)
_c5t5775krbxn.jpg

I ordered some Atomic Green.. the sample just looked too great to pass on :D
With Titanium
_c5t5779yragp.jpg

And even cooler with Shade 19
_c5t5786zcx6r.jpg

Aah.. yeah, the one's I'll actually be using for this build :D
We have either
Shade 19, Color-X and Platinum grey
_c5t5782wrbse.jpg

or
Shade 19, Color-X and Titanium grey
_c5t578375ysj.jpg

I'm strongly leaning toward Platinum, because there's more contrast in the grey tones..
But the other one still looks pretty tempting too.
_c5t57880zlsm.jpg

Nils is awesome, he drew on my package a couple of years ago too :)

What's OCFMOCD?...I searched it in the forum and on google and found nothing :-/...

Hardy bwah ha ha hardy har!!! You googled it!?:clap:Sweet, I kill myself....

"OverClockers' Forum Modding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" support group.

No, it does not officially exist. Yet!:sly:

Nils is awesome, he drew on my package a couple of years ago too :)
Who is Nils?

Buenas

Back