• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Update Win7-- is their server down??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I found an old Win7 SP1 machine. Started up fine, and found it had about 120 updates that it needed ( just the security updates). I went to update it, selected all the updates I wanted, and it just hangs in there. It didn't have a problem updating its virus stuff from other vendors.

Their are no bits of data downloading etc. It's not the computer as it can access other internet sites and other vendor sites for updates.

Is the Win7 update server down??

Windows 7 Update is broken out of the box using all official Microsoft installation media and is broken on all machines which have not been updated recently.

Try this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775169
Report back if it works.

C6,

I used to get updates for Windows Defender for XP / XP Pro and Vista (I never used Defender anyhow) but even that has stopped some months ago. All Vista64 updates are long gone but changing to Firefox and using Avira active with Malwarebyes hopefully alleviates security issues of the older IE 9 with Vista64. The Windows 10 machine of course is not at issue.

Yes, Defender's security definitions are vastly inferior to freeware definitions you are using so you are not missing out, I go so far as to never update Defender and completely disable Microsoft Defender and Firewall and use third party freeware instead of both, on all my OS up to Windows 10.

What the original poster is talking about however is Windows 7 Updates which will continue until 2020.
Windows 7 Updates are broken intentionally on Microsoft's end for anyone who fresh installs Windows 7 or has not updated Windows 7 in a while.
We are working on an article about this for the front page currently.

This can be fixed. 9/10 people either do not know about the fix or don't want to bother with it so they will move to Windows 10, which is what Microsoft suggests be done...
Microsoft does not say they broke Windows 7 Update for that reason. That is a matter of speculation, and perhaps logic and common sense. ;)
If you would like to continue to use Windows 7, the Windows 7 Update can be fixed, we independently figured out how and posted it on the forums.

Yes, Defender's security definitions are vastly inferior to freeware definitions you are using so you are not missing out, I go so far as to never update Defender and completely disable Microsoft Defender and Firewall and use third party freeware instead of both, on all my OS up to Windows 10.

What the original poster is talking about however is Windows 7 Updates which will continue until 2020.
Windows 7 Updates are broken intentionally on Microsoft's end for anyone who fresh installs Windows 7 or has not updated Windows 7 in a while.

This can be fixed. 9/10 people either do not know about the fix or don't want to bother with it so they will move to Windows 10, which is what Microsoft suggests be done...
Microsoft does not say they broke Windows 7 Update for that reason. That is a matter of speculation, and perhaps logic and common sense. ;)
If you would like to continue to use Windows 7, the Windows 7 Update can be fixed, we independently figured out how and posted it on the forums.

C6,

I saw your article on this but I don't have W7, I had W8.1 retail on the new machine and then to the free upgrade to W10.

Windows 7 Update is broken out of the box using all official Microsoft installation media and is broken on all machines which have not been updated recently.

Try this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775169
Report back if it works.

Will try this tonight!! Thanks! Will report back what happens.

Yes, it's my Win Updater that is not working. I had no idea about all the above in the 2nd post.

I googled up Win7 Update broken, and wow a bunch of links. I don't have time to read them as I'm working.

I did spy this one, any validity to it?

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/06/slow-windows-7-update-process-has-been-patched-by-microsoft/

Here is something that I ran upon today:

On October 11, 2016 onwards, there was a very significant change in the way Windows Update works. Some may like it a lot. Some may dislike it intensely.

MS is aware and has addressed it apparently??? Source

MS were aware of it from last Summer, they kept making it worse each month. This is something new.

How about trying out this method, I only bumped into it today (the WU 'bug' I bumped into last November, December, January,... -> last month).

MS were aware of it from last Summer, they kept making it worse each month. This is something new.

How about trying out this method, I only bumped into it today (the WU 'bug' I bumped into last November, December, January,... -> last month).

Pretty much advocates to only get security updates and then isolate it as a VM on a Linux host OS so future security updates won't be needed. I will most likely go with Linux as my main OS once I get nVidia GPU folding going. Will still need a windows instance to run windows only apps. The new model of updates is going to be huge rollup packages across all supported versions of windows OS. :-/

If you have a proper list of the kb's, use whdownloader and do it manually. Then just save them for future OS installs to the same hardware. The 50 different ways to force windows update to work (every pc is different) is tiresome. If the packages are on your hd, who cares if update works? The miniupdate tool can make a list as well. In fact, in whdownloader you can select the OS and just down them all, incl. Office 2010/2013, and Win10. Win10 has only 24, Win7 hundreds.

Last edited:
Pretty much advocates to only get security updates and then isolate it as a VM on a Linux host OS so future security updates won't be needed. I will most likely go with Linux as my main OS once I get nVidia GPU folding going. Will still need a windows instance to run windows only apps. The new model of updates is going to be huge rollup packages across all supported versions of windows OS. :-/

Yep, every month. The update will now take much longer each month because they will include a lot of stuff from previous updates each time. I think they have figured out that this is necessary to prevent breaking the updater so frequently. This is the model Windows 10 has been operating on for sometime now and they will be applying it to Windows 7 it looks like.

I just reinstalled my media PC after a few years, and I noticed it would not finish checking for updates. Good timing on this thread popping up in my search results and thanks for the tips!

Back