• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decisions, decisions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

With nothing broken at the moment, I'm perusing potential upgrades. I have a couple ideas. First possibility is another one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129325 I can Crossfire them and play Minesweeper at 8732 (give or take) fps! That would also allow me to get new stereo Schiit, like a Modi 2 Multibit http://schiit.com/products Or, and I love this option, http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/hof/galax-geforcer-gtx-1070-hof-159.html The last option would not only be as much card as I could need, it would look soooo good in my rig. Feel free to chime in with opinions!

If the 480 does the job, keep 1, get the Modi 2, and pocket the rest. #profit?

Also a plan with merit, but there is some room to get more out of 1080p gaming in my rig. And a decent DAC would be a nice bump in sound quality over mobo audio. My build is also my HTPC and music server. Then again, I could save a few bucks on the 1070 by selling my current RX 480.

that HOF looks nice, especially with you sporting a white case

However good audio is nice if you listen to a lot of high quality files

Do you have a receiver handling your audio? Just wondering if the Modi would give you anything if your PC goes straight to the receiver? (That's how I have my HTPC, the receiver handles the decoding/processing)

I think he wants to use it with headphones.

If that is indeed the usage, if he goes with the Modi I will look forward to a review of the Gaming 7 onboard vs the Modi. I'm pretty impressed with the onboard, but I am curious how much better it could be.

The HOF would look fantastic with my mobo's white trim, case, and the white fans that came with the Phanteks. It's a super clean looking case to build in with the PSU cover and nice grommets. I'll get a pic up shortly. The Modi would be going to my integrated amp (Marantz PM7200) It would replace the onboard DAC on my mobo. I'm single and don't need headphones. :) The speakers are Paradigm Studio 60s with a small subwoofer. And all my music files (2 or 3 exceptions) are lossless WAV and FLAC. So the payoff there would be pretty nice.

Pff, Easy decision, Buy your Schiit and spend the rest on beer and/or drugs.

(Jk dont spend it on neither beer or drugs)

Seriously though, Buy the sound DAC, You dont need a new GPU, RX480 is enough for now. Save the money and spend it on a 1180ti when it comes out.

Edit : Forgot you are a AMD guy, Then buy the RZ 590xD or whatever it will be called when it comes out.

He mentioned a 1070 though earlier so I don't think he's partial to a particular side ^^.

I really believe a 480 is enough for 1080p personally.

I'd go for the audio upgrade and see how you go from there, but if you can sell your 480 for a 1070 with a good deal, then that's definitely another option (albeit potentially more effort)

That GPU is flipping sexy as hell. I wanted to go to an all white internal build a while back but pushed it off. Regardless Id either got for the audio upgrade or the HOF. That being said your current GPU is sufficient for whatever you want to play on a 100P setup, so I would probably go for the audio.

One 480 is probably enough for my 1080p, but I'd like to see 60 fps average with everything on ultra-extra-wow! Two 480s would do it, but so would the HOF. And this
that HOF would look super in your rig.

I'll get some better pics. The lighting on the outside doesn't show here.
rig.jpg + 1070.PNG = :attn:

considering the other two options are chinese products, you must go with the american made Schiit product. :p

Jokes aside, with those caliber speakers, I'd probably lean towards getting the Modi 2 Uber. For 1080p gaming, I mean, you're probably not going to notice too much performance gain over what you have already at this time. It crushes most games on the highest settings. I'd hold off until the 1070 goes down in value, personally speaking.

That's not bad advice, and the logical part of my brain agrees completely. It makes sense. But did you see the 1070 HOF? LOL The other part of my brain is just a "Ooooh, shiny!" junkie. *sigh* But seeing what I already know to be true pushes the HOF just a little farther away. First world problems. I am a lucky, if confused, man. :)

That's not bad advice, and the logical part of my brain agrees completely. It makes sense. But did you see the 1070 HOF? LOL The other part of my brain is just a "Ooooh, shiny!" junkie. *sigh* But seeing what I already know to be true pushes the HOF just a little farther away. First world problems. I am a lucky, if confused, man. :)

Maybe paint the RX480?.. Then itll match your white build.

That has occurred to me, too! I have a nice airbrush and a bottle of gloss white paint for my OD drive. LOL

update: Well, I think I figured it out. LutaWicasa wins the Prognostication Award. (It's a real word, I swear). I can get the HOF now, and if I can sell the RX 480 I can get the Modi 2 Uber, so, best of both worlds. If the RX doesn't sell, I can still get the Modi 2 in a month or two. I have an East Coast vacation coming up, so I'll want to get this done quickly. Probably order it today. :)

Last edited:
Back