• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor Upgrade Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobModder

Registered
Current Build:
Intel I7-6700k
32Gb's DDR4
EVGA 1070 SC

Right now I'm running dual 23" Asus VS239's. I don't have any complaints about them but I'm looking to upgrade one of them to a bigger gaming monitor. I've been out of the monitor realm for awhile and I've been reading up on 4k, 144hz, etc etc. With my machine specs what monitors are suggested. I play Ark mostly so I'm looking for best clarity and resolution.

I find 27" 1440p 120hz to be the sweet spot. 27" is a good size at a desk. 1440p is a nice step up from 1080p without taxing the 1070 too much. The smoothness of 120hz is pretty noticeable over 60hz.

Six and half a dozen are the same thing, it's a metaphor. I'm saying it doesn't matter which you use.

Also, why did you buy a Freesync monitor when you have an NVIDIA GPU?
NVIDIA supports G-Sync, not Freesync.

From the monitors that I saw G-Sync enabled was much more so I just went with a 4k at 27" in my price range. I wanted a G-Sync 4k 27" IPS but didn't see any within my pricerange. I was mainly asking about the 4k and if HDMI will display the 4k at 60hz. Right now on HDMI it appears to be only at 30hz.

From the monitors that I saw G-Sync enabled was much more so I just went with a 4k at 27" in my price range. I wanted a G-Sync 4k 27" IPS but didn't see any within my pricerange. I was mainly asking about the 4k and if HDMI will display the 4k at 60hz. Right now on HDMI it appears to be only at 30hz.

What version is the HDMI cable you're using?

I checked in the monitor and didn't see an option to change the refresh rate just the res. I checked the nvidia software and it didn't have any other option but the 4k res at 30hz

I plugged the display port in and it went to 60hz so it must be the HDMI cable. Since my monitor mount nearly blocks the displayport slot I'm going to get a newer HDMI cable.

Back