• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which ram speed should i buy for asus rog maximus VIII hero?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dangerouSoul

Hi guys, i will buy a motherboard ( Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170 socket 1151), the cpu i haven´t sure which one i´ll buy, i5 6600k or i7 6700k, i´ll see later which one. My doubt is which ram do you guys recomend??? Only ram.. The rest i decide by myself eheh

DDR4 3000 speed or 3200 Speed. I have G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) CL 14-14-14 -34 lower timings cost more however it is worth it to me since that is Cas latency reduction. No mater how fast your memory Speed is Cas latency plays big part.

CAS latency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

DDR 3000 CAS latency
17 11.33 ns 12.33 ns 13.67 ns
16 10.67 ns 11.67 ns 13.00 ns
15 10.00 ns 11.00 ns 12.33 ns
14 9.33 ns 10.33 ns 11.67 ns

DDR4 3000 speed or 3200 Speed. I have G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) CL 14-14-14 -34 lower timings cost more however it is worth it to me since that is Cas latency reduction. No mater how fast your memory Speed is Cas latency plays big part.

CAS latency https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

DDR 3000 CAS latency
17 11.33 ns 12.33 ns 13.67 ns
16 10.67 ns 11.67 ns 13.00 ns
15 10.00 ns 11.00 ns 12.33 ns
14 9.33 ns 10.33 ns 11.67 ns

XMP works as OC right?by default the mobo supports 2133mhz.. Same for cpu i5 6600k and i7 6700k.

XMP works as OC right?by default the mobo supports 2133mhz.. Same for cpu i5 6600k and i7 6700k.

X.M.P is the overclocking standard by Intel however running the CPU with XMP enabled voids the Intel warranty because your are running the CPU out of memory Specification.

With the i5 6600k or i7 6700k all you have to do is set XMP in Bios and it will take care of all the settings to overclock the memory to it's rated speed and CL timings.

Performance Tuning Protection Plan 3 year warranty link: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

The Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) LINK http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

Either processor will use the same RAM. What is the intended usage for this system. The general recommendation for most systems is a 2x8gb setup using 3200 c16 ram. If you are doing a memory specific task selection may be a little more critical but otherwise that is the current sweet shot for price/performance ratio. Of that is out of your price range you could look at stepping down to 3000 c16 ram to save a few bucks. If you are looking to go a little higher performance you could go with 3600 c16 (i prefer the faster ram over tighter cas latencies). For gaming and daily usage you really not notice much of a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

X.M.P is the overclocking standard by Intel however running the CPU with XMP enabled voids the Intel warranty because your are running the CPU out of memory Specification.

I did not think running XMP will void your warranty on the cpu. Do you have a source for this? It has been awhile since I have read my warranty package but I don't remember this.

Either processor will use the same RAM. What is the intended usage for this system. The general recommendation for most systems is a 2x8gb setup using 3200 c16 ram. If you are doing a memory specific task selection may be a little more critical but otherwise that is the current sweet shot for price/performance ratio. Of that is out of your price range you could look at stepping down to 3000 c16 ram to save a few bucks. If you are looking to go a little higher performance you could go with 3600 c16 (i prefer the faster ram over tighter cas latencies). For gaming and daily usage you really not notice much of a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

I did not think running XMP will void your warranty on the cpu. Do you have a source for this? It has been awhile since I have read my warranty package but I don't remember this.

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan is an additional plan that a customer can purchase to cover processor failures caused by operating the eligible processor outside of Intel’s published specifications.

Does this Plan mean my standard 3 year warranty is no longer valid?
No. The Plan does not affect your standard three year warranty. The standard 3 year warranty covers failures that occur while the processor is used within Intel’s published specifications. The Plan covers an eligible processor that fails due to overclocking.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq

i5 6600k memory spefication from intel.
DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V
http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

I personally had to deal with this issue with Intel when he asked what memory I was using with my sandy bridge i5 2500k.

Last edited:
You can always get a good set of 3200mhz C14 and then overclock to 3600mhz C15, you get a nice bump in overall speeds and probably save a few bucks ;)

Why are you getting such an expensive board in tbe first place?? A board half the cost of that thing will be fine...

As far as ram..ddr4 3000-3200 cl14/15 is the sweetspot.

Of the 3 intel chips I had that died and I could rma, I told them exactly what memory I was using and the xmp profile and they returned it without flinching. PS - I did not have the extreme tuning warranty. Perhaps hit the Intel forum again and directly ask if using XMP profile will void the warranty (and then if so, I wonder why they took my chip...twice...)

Isn't it weird they don't support overclocking the memory, yet have their own developed standard in xmp profiles to do so????

Last edited:
Thank you all guys.. I guess i´ll buy a 2133mhz kit 2x8 ddr4.. If i buy a higher kit i´ll void my warranty and i don´t want that to happen =(.. Didn´t know that issue =/.. I guess to be safer i´ll stick within the cpu specifications that is 2133..

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you getting such an expensive board in tbe first place?? A board half the cost of that thing will be fine...

Of the 3 intel chips I had that died and I could rma, I told them exactly what memory I was using and the xmp profile and they returned it without flinching. PS - I did not have the extreme tuning warranty. Perhaps hit the Intel forum again and directly ask if using XMP profile will void the warranty (and then if so, I wonder why they took my chip...twice...)

Isn't it weird they don't support overclocking the memory, yet have their own developed standard in xmp profiles to do so????

I like the board itself.. Its gorgeous and offers to many features..but if u have an idea of other but with similar specs thats ok.. Shoot eheh.. Give your opinion mate.. Glad to hear it.

....don't worry about that...I guess the VAST majority of users are 'voiding their warranty' by using xmp... :blah:

As far as a board... try x99 strix. Half the cost. Plenty of features! You won't use half of them in the strix either, but, at least it saves you like $250+

Last edited:
....don't worry about that...I guess the VAST majority of users are 'voiding their warranty' by using xmp... :blah:

As far as a board... try x99 strix. Half the cost. Plenty of features! You won't use half of them in the strix either, but, at least it saves you like $250+

Ahah.. Nope mate, in my country the rog maximus VIII hero is 219,90€ it is like 196 GBP.. and the strix x99 that u recommended is 315€ it is like 280 GBP.. More expensive..

Sorry bud.. missed you said the HERO... Thought you were getting the Extreme, LOL! My fault! :)

No problem mate.. When i go to the store next time maybe i´ll ask them about that "issue" enable xmp higher than cpu specification mate.. I think it is better to be safer.. Ty for your help.. =)

I did a search at the Intel forum for XMP warranty and overclocking your memory voids the standard warranty. https://communities.intel.com/thread/61082

Thank you all guys.. I guess i´ll buy a 2133mhz kit 2x8 ddr4.. If i buy a higher kit i´ll void my warranty and i don´t want that to happen =(.. Didn´t know that issue =/.. I guess to be safer i´ll stick within the cpu specifications that is 2133..
If your worried about voiding the standard Intel warranty, purchase the Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan USD $25 or $30 LINK: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

I've never heard of any issues with RMA while overclocking memory. I also can't see any word about memory voltage and voiding CPU warranty. You can lose warranty if you tell Intel that you were running MCH or IMC at much higher voltage but what is in XMP is usually within Intel specification. Memory voltage is not affecting anything but memory.
Using XMP profiles won't void warranty as long as this profile doesn't have something like 1.3V VCCSA/IO and I haven't seen any memory with more than ~+10% SA. If it wasn't within specs then there wouldn't be XMP profiles.
Next thing is that there is no way that Intel can check if CPU was running at higher than specified voltages other than burned spots caused by way too high voltage, current spikes or moisture. However there are several protections against overvoltage or too high temps.
At the end there is Intel's testing procedure which takes time so they replace CPU to new or one which was tested as fully stable ( it's not always new CPU ).

If you are not taking a part in competitive benchmarking then best is something between 3000-3200. G.Skill memory is generally compatible with every motherboard brand and they are close with ASUS regarding memory tests. At least on my Hero I had no issues with any G.Skill but also Patriot, Crucial and some other brands.
So why 3000-3200 memory ? Because it's faster than standard 2133-2666 series and doesn't cost so much more.
Since Skylake has quite large and fast cache then latency doesn't really matter if you are playing games or use it for something else. It's still better to take something like 3000 CL14 or 3200 CL15 as they don't cost much more than "slower" series. If you find 3200 CL16 kit in much lower price then it's also good option.

Last edited:
I did a search at the Intel forum for XMP warranty and overclocking your memory voids the standard warranty. https://communities.intel.com/thread/61082

If your worried about voiding the standard Intel warranty, purchase the Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan USD $25 or $30 LINK: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
Again, never stopped me. They even ASKED me about it, told them the god's honest truth that I was using XMP, and they had no problems RMAing my two processors.

So weird that they test for and fully support XMP, which as defined by Intel is overclocking (but its not for the sticks, so I still and will call it stock), yet, its not warrantied.... yet, I have RMA'd two processors they knew darn well were 'overclocked' and I had 'voided' the warranty.

Unless you are an extreme overclocker, I wouldn't pay for the IPTP program either... no way.

Z chipsets and K processors are designed for overclocking and should be compatible with XMP and everything else. This is the only combo which is designed for overclocking and I see no reason why anyone could lose warranty on something that is designed for overclocking. However there are maximum values at which processors and chipsets are working. For anything above that you can buy additional warranty. As you see, most "standard" motherboards have 1.52V maximum CPU voltage what is maximum voltage in Skylake specs. The same most motherboards have limits on some other voltages ( I don't remember exactly how high is for SA/IO in most standard boards ).
Intel memory voltage specs is 1.20V +5% max. JEDEC specs is 1.20V and also not so much more as max. I'm not sure why all memory manufacturers set their voltage in higher memory series at 1.35V ( sometimes 1.4V and early Predator sets had 1.5V ). The same memory controller is for DDR3L in specs while voltage is 1.35V so maybe that's why. It doesn't change fact that memory voltage is not affecting CPU but memory modules and these are not on the Intel's warranty. Even motherboards are not on Intel's warranty.
Btw max VCCIO is 0.95V+0.05V = 1.00V, max VCCSA is 1.05V+0.05V = 1.10V. These are max values considered as still within Intel specs.

Yeah, I'm going to have to say I don't buy it... especially considering they took TWO of my processors knowing I was using XMP profiles... I can see MAYBE if the sticks weren't on the boards QVL or something they may not take it... otherwise, I'm 2/2 and could care less what that passage ALLUDES to (doesn't say directly, note).

Z chipsets and K processors are designed for overclocking and should be compatible with XMP and everything else. This is the only combo which is designed for overclocking and I see no reason why anyone could lose warranty on something that is designed for overclocking. However there are maximum values at which processors and chipsets are working. For anything above that you can buy additional warranty. As you see, most "standard" motherboards have 1.52V maximum CPU voltage what is maximum voltage in Skylake specs. The same most motherboards have limits on some other voltages ( I don't remember exactly how high is for SA/IO in most standard boards ).
Intel memory voltage specs is 1.20V +5% max. JEDEC specs is 1.20V and also not so much more as max. I'm not sure why all memory manufacturers set their voltage in higher memory series at 1.35V ( sometimes 1.4V and early Predator sets had 1.5V ). The same memory controller is for DDR3L in specs while voltage is 1.35V so maybe that's why. It doesn't change fact that memory voltage is not affecting CPU but memory modules and these are not on the Intel's warranty. Even motherboards are not on Intel's warranty.
Btw max VCCIO is 0.95V+0.05V = 1.00V, max VCCSA is 1.05V+0.05V = 1.10V. These are max values considered as still within Intel specs.

Yeah, I'm going to have to say I don't buy it... especially considering they took TWO of my processors knowing I was using XMP profiles... I can see MAYBE if the sticks weren't on the boards QVL or something they may not take it... otherwise, I'm 2/2 and could care less what that passage ALLUDES to (doesn't say directly, note).

i5 6600k memory spefication from intel.

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan is an additional plan that a customer can purchase to cover processor failures caused by operating the eligible processor outside of Intel’s published specifications.

Does this Plan mean my standard 3 year warranty is no longer valid?
No. The Plan does not affect your standard three year warranty. The standard 3 year warranty covers failures that occur while the processor is used within Intel’s published specifications. The Plan covers an eligible processor that fails due to overclocking. http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq

I just called Intel RMA and all Boxed processors have a standard warranty. Any running of the processor outside of intel's published (memory) specification Voids the CPU warranty. Intel phone 1-916-377-7000. Warranty PDF link http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/Limited_Warranty_8.5x11_for_Web_English.pdf

I personally had to deal with this issue with Intel when he asked what memory I was using with my sandy bridge i5 2500k.

There is no alluding here in the Intel warranty PDF, just both of you giving out the wrong information.

Last edited:
Back