• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am ashamed - build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

I am looking to build a system for a family member as a gift to help save them some cash. He plays World of Warcraft and his current laptop is just not cutting it. I have to admit I been out the game for so long that I dont even know where to start. So I am looking for a semi budget PC that can run world of warcraft mid-to high settings. He knows a little bit about pcs and mentioned that he would really like an i7. He tried a friends computer with an i5 and said he had issues running the game (maybe he runs it on high). Any how, even if you guys can give me a starting point and recommended a chip + motherboard combo I could pretty much take it over from there. I have no idea how intense WOW is. I have never played that game and always view it as not really intensive as I compared it to Bf series games with a lot more movement on screen.

Thank you guys.

Last edited:
Problem with World of Warcraft is not hardware, is the fact that some areas are "phased" and badly programmed which will tax your setup to ridiculous levels if you have it on max settings (mine overclocked to the max has problems in the dark forest part of Val'Sharah on 10 for example). A FX-6300 (or Intel equivalente) with a GTX 970 (or AMD equivalent) is all you will need for the vast majority of the game.

The graphic system got a revamp on the latest expansion "Legion" and 8 is to be considered the maximum settings (the one you used for past expansions), 9 and 10 are above maximum for top of the line setups :thup:

Problem with World of Warcraft is not hardware, is the fact that some areas are "phased" and badly programmed which will tax your setup to ridiculous levels if you have it on max settings (mine overclocked to the max has problems in the dark forest part of Val'Sharah on 10 for example). A FX-6300 (or Intel equivalente) with a GTX 970 (or AMD equivalent) is all you will need for the vast majority of the game.

The graphic system got a revamp on the latest expansion "Legion" and 8 is to be considered the maximum settings (the one you used for past expansions), 9 and 10 are above maximum for top of the line setups :thup:

Thank you. I have never played the game personally but when I watch it doesn't seem like it's anything crazy.

It's nothing special for the most part, even laptops handle solo content and 5 man dungeons/PvP decently, but in raids everyone and their pets (20+) let fly hundreds of spells non-stop you will see the FPS drop from 60+ to 10+ unless you have decent hardware (or lower graphical settings) :D

It's nothing special for the most part, even laptops handle solo content and 5 man dungeons/PvP decently, but in raids everyone and their pets (20+) let fly hundreds of spells non-stop you will see the FPS drop from 60+ to 10+ unless you have decent hardware (or lower graphical settings) :D
So I guess a i7 or am AMD comparable would be worth the money? The factors I would really need help with that I feel would be important are:
CPU
GRAPHICS
I am not even too concerned about the MB as he won't be overclocking anything.

yep, even an old i7-2600k+GTX 970/RX480 will be up to the task for at least this expansion, possibly the next one. Don't get anything below i7 or FX-6300, WoW will use all the extra cores it can get.

Ok I am looking at possibly upping the budget a little bit and I might be changing over to AMD
I was looking at the Intel 6700 then i started comparing AMD and I checked this out on google intel core i7-6700k vs amd fx-9590 and the 9590 is a faster 8 core and cheaper than the Intel ! This PC might end up with an AMD lol. Oh my so much to go through. It doesn't help that I am like OCD with buying PC stuff. I find one thing then start comparing a bunch of bothers and try to find the best price vs performance ratio. There are so many options I drive myself nuts !!

I wouldnt go amd unless your budget dictates it. The intel chip is a TON faster per clock than the amd. About the only place it shines is with 8 core loads. That oesnt happen in gaming.

Not to mention the amd cpu listed needs a BEEFY board to run even at stock speeds. ;)

I wouldnt go amd unless your budget dictates it. The intel chip is a TON faster per clock than the amd. About the only place it shines is with 8 core loads. That oesnt happen in gaming.

Not to mention the amd cpu listed needs a BEEFY board to run even at stock speeds. ;)

Ok. Thank tou

The FX 9590 can be a great chip, BUT, you'll need liquid cooling and a stout motherboard just to get it stable at stock clocks. Good thread here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/776436-new-9590-let-s-dust-the-new-off-shall-we Poke around the forum for more info on them before you commit. I loved my FX 6350, and it handled everything I needed it to, but I went with a 6700k for my upgrade because of the requirements for a big FX octo-core. An 8350 or 8370e would handle gaming just fine with a lot less heat and draw less power.

So I guess a i7 or am AMD comparable would be worth the money?

There isn't (currently) an AMD offering comparable to a i7-6700k. Zen (next year) may put AMD back in the high end game, but for now the leaders are Haswell and Skylake. Six or eight cores, Haswell. Four cores, Skylake. I'm betting that will stay true for the next couple of years at least.

Just a thought, you're looking at EXPENSIVE stuff, the 6700k alone is ~330$ new unless you can grab a bargain. Why not go for used parts, should be plenty decent deals in the classified section or eBay ?

$300-$310 on Amazon, weird i grabbed mine for $285+free delivery on ebay near 7 months ago, prices should be going down not up ?

$300-$310 on Amazon, weird i grabbed mine for $285+free delivery on ebay near 7 months ago, prices should be going down not up ?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was a smoking deal. Also, there was probably more general anticipation of the next "new" chip at that time, so the 6700k was "old tech" to potential buyers. Turned out it's still the real deal so prices went back up. I'm guessing but it seems reasonable.

Like (all) most MMORPGS, the CPU is the primary factor. If you note, the rx 460 (a 100$ gpu), provides over 60fps average frame rate.

WFoUKxV.png

I also cant think of any MMORPG that REALLY benefits from an i7 either. An i3 and an rx 480/gtx 1060 would probably be a really fantastic place to be for this type of gaming experience. With your budget, i7 is absolutely out of the question.

Food for thought.

For a "5-600$" budget, this is really as cheap as you can go with an i7,

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sGRJkT

thats almost 800$ AND includes a very low tier gpu

For 650$, you drop cpu performance (that you dont need), but go WAY up in gpu power. For 1080p gaming, this is a very decent little rig. You can stick with the rx 460 to stay under budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6MxGjc

- - - Updated - - -

If it was 285, it was (very) on sale. i7's never go down in price lol. They just get phased out with the "new" i7 that is pretty much the same price.

Back