• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am ashamed - build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now that is interesting. Hmmmm.....

edit: But I'm still keeping my 1070 and 6700k. Just sayin'. LOL

My post was tailored SPECIFICALLY to world of warcraft, and other MMORPG's.

The new patch is strange, it's almost like the ultra settings are DSR/supersampling textures in the game itself. Ultra cripples my rig, and its pretty beefy lol

My post was tailored SPECIFICALLY to world of warcraft, and other MMORPG's.

The new patch is strange, it's almost like the ultra settings are DSR/supersampling textures in the game itself. Ultra cripples my rig, and its pretty beefy lol

The LOL was the giveaway. :) That was a useful chart you posted. Good info I'll bear in mind going forward. :thup: I still have to download WoW on my rig, and that's the type games I play.

- - - Updated - - -

Just rubbin' it in, aren't you? :rofl:

Intel Core i7-6700 SkyLake 3.4GHz LGA 1151 279.99
MSI Z170A GAMING M5 LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard 139.99
Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" SATA III SSD 69.99
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Co... 47.99
Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt ATX Modular Powe... 99.99
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB GDDR5 Video Card 289.99

978.99 with Tax without rebates. I will get about 30-40 back in rebates putting me around 940.00. Anything that sticks out here?

Damn me I never stick to budget. lol

Oops, forgot the memory.

Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC 89.99

Total around : 1000.00 after rebates. Oh mama

Like (all) most MMORPGS, the CPU is the primary factor. If you note, the rx 460 (a 100$ gpu), provides over 60fps average frame rate.

I also cant think of any MMORPG that REALLY benefits from an i7 either. An i3 and an rx 480/gtx 1060 would probably be a really fantastic place to be for this type of gaming experience. With your budget, i7 is absolutely out of the question.

Nearly all MMORPG that i know of make use of up to 8 cores, WoW manages to use 95%+ of my CPU in a raiding environment. Yes its expensive but it's worth it at the end of the day, and that's why i advised to shop used. I have always told anyone who based opinions on its benchmarks that you can't bench WoW to a satisfactory result simply because every different area (and the game has dozens) will give you completely different results. Your setup might work well on the flats and then crash and die in a forest, or work well on flats/forest and again crash and die in a raid which BTW happens often, the number of people that complain that they can barely get 10fps at the start of a fight is truly ridiculous. I gave OP the middle ground, a cheap yet productive setup so that he can run in all environments without much hassle and if he goes AMD, well within budget.

Another option would be to get the 6700k and stick with the iGPU alone which should give (i hate myself for even thinking this) acceptable FPS outside of raids, in the 30-50 range. Buy a graphics card later on when you or said person have the budget ?

978.99 with Tax without rebates. I will get about 30-40 back in rebates putting me around 940.00. Anything that sticks out here?

Oops, forgot the memory.

And yer killin' me. :)

Nearly all MMORPG that i know of make use of up to 8 cores, WoW manages to use 95%+ of my CPU in a raiding environment. Yes its expensive but it's worth it at the end of the day, and that's why i advised to shop used. I have always told anyone who based opinions on its benchmarks that you can't bench WoW to a satisfactory result simply because every different area (and the game has dozens) will give you completely different results. Your setup might work well on the flats and then crash and die in a forest, or work well on flats/forest and again crash and die in a raid which BTW happens often, the number of people that complain that they can barely get 10fps at the start of a fight is truly ridiculous. I gave OP the middle ground, a cheap yet productive setup so that he can run in all environments without much hassle and if he goes AMD, well within budget.

Another option would be to get the 6700k and stick with the iGPU alone which should give (i hate myself for even thinking this) acceptable FPS outside of raids, in the 30-50 range. Buy a graphics card later on when you or said person have the budget ?

WoW can utilize up to 6 threads. The benefits of the i7 are very very slight, and only in certain scenarios. I.e. a huge raid with particles going crazy. A couple notches down on the sliders will alleviate any issues. You're trying to get maxed settings here, not sure why. 600$ budget here, and AMD is NOT a solution at this time. The FX 6300 was an admirable cpu.... several years ago.

edit: Hes budget magically doubled in size, i7 it is! Onboard GPU might be an option with skylake, I honestly haven't seen much on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, forgot the memory.

You dont need anywhere near 750w for the power supply, the 6gb cards are still above MSRP, you didnt choose the K variant of the i7 so the z170 is pretty pointless, you still need a cpu cooler, you dont need 16gb of ram, and... that case is "meh".

So yeah, a lot "sticks out".

Also, posting a 5-600$ budget, then going for a 1000$ is both silly and obnoxious for those that are investing their time to assist you. Its great you're doing that for your brother and all, but yeah, thats more frustrating than anything.

Last edited:
I totally agree. The budget sort of went out the window but I don't want to spend 600 on a system that is going to give him issues. I'd rather put out the extra few hundred and him be happy.

I just see so many different combos where the prices vary greatly. As I learn more I realized what I wanted wasn't in that budget sorry but thank you all for the information. I guess new budget is 8-1k. Eek

Again I do thank you guys very much. As you can see I need the help here.

WoW can utilize up to 6 threads. The benefits of the i7 are very very slight, and only in certain scenarios. I.e. a huge raid with particles going crazy. A couple notches down on the sliders will alleviate any issues. You're trying to get maxed settings here, not sure why. 600$ budget here, and AMD is NOT a solution at this time. The FX 6300 was an admirable cpu.... several years ago.

edit: Hes budget magically doubled in size, i7 it is! Onboard GPU might be an option with skylake, I honestly haven't seen much on that.

WoW uses up to 8 threads, I know that for a fact as I play it on a daily basis. Proof that I'm not trying to go for max settings is that I suggested the FX-6300 and warned OP he might have to drop graphics, please read thread from the start. I had a FX-4300/6300/8370 and the difference was 10fps-20fps between each one with the same GTX 970. Core count counts ;)

And before you go further into the 6700k rant I did say at 1st that even a i7-2600k would work almost just as well.

I totally agree. The budget sort of went out the window but I don't want to spend 600 on a system that is going to give him issues. I'd rather put out the extra few hundred and him be happy.

I just see so many different combos where the prices vary greatly. As I learn more I realized what I wanted wasn't in that budget sorry but thank you all for the information. I guess new budget is 8-1k. Eek

Again I do thank you guys very much. As you can see I need the help here.

It's not a big deal at the end of the day really, just something people tend to lose focus on. We tend to beat it down into the ground (as a group), then when it changes again to include more money, then literally everything discussed is completely moot.

Anywho, these i7 6700's you're seeing for less than 300$ are the non-K variants. They can not overclock. Boost is all you get. Granted for most persons, thats fine, but for gaming, in most scenarios, you are FAR better off with an overclocked i5 than a locked i7. Even if you're not lookin to overclock, the 6700k has a much higher base clock (600mhz...) , and a much higher boost clock. If you're trying to save some cash, perhaps think of getting some used stuff. The only things I would be uncomfortable getting used are storage devices, power supplies, and potentially the ram. You can save yourself some serious cash going used. A 4790k is still nothing to sneeze at, and I've seen some really good combo bargains on ebay from time to time. ("4790k combo" in ebay search).

For all that its worth, this is the system I bought my little brother :

pcrig.png

Obviously, he got what he got; and it aint "great". The only things I changed were I gave him a bigger SSD I wasnt using, we threw the case out immediately (it was THE WORST lol), but the rest has been awesome for him. With the 70$ in rebates from that, and adding in the new case, it was like 500$ all together. He plays MMO's and has been having a great time. I expect no errors or headaches, and if he wants an upgrade, he can save up and buy a new rig later on.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW uses up to 8 threads, I know that for a fact as I play it on a daily basis. Proof that I'm not trying to go for max settings is that I suggested the FX-6300 and warned OP he might have to drop graphics, please read thread from the start. I had a FX-4300/6300/8370 and the difference was 10fps-20fps between each one with the same GTX 970. Core count counts ;)

And before you go further into the 6700k rant I did say at 1st that even a i7-2600k would work almost just as well.

Please dont misunderstand. Im not saying you were "wrong", I was saying for a "5-600$ budget" the i7 shouldn't even be considered. Due to the archaic nature of AMD FX processors, recommending them is a bit hard to do as well. They are just SO old and inefficient.

As for thread count, I've only heard 6 threads were used, but I have no concrete "from the horses mouth" evidence that it is so. You may have all 8 threads up and running, but windows could just be allocating different things to different threads at different times. It doesn't necessarily have to be "8 threaded" to see utilization on all 8 threads.

It's not a big deal at the end of the day really, just something people tend to lose focus on. We tend to beat it down into the ground (as a group), then when it changes again to include more money, then literally everything discussed is completely moot.

Anywho, these i7 6700's you're seeing for less than 300$ are the non-K variants. They can not overclock. Boost is all you get. Granted for most persons, thats fine, but for gaming, in most scenarios, you are FAR better off with an overclocked i5 than a locked i7. Even if you're not lookin to overclock, the 6700k has a much higher base clock (600mhz...) , and a much higher boost clock. If you're trying to save some cash, perhaps think of getting some used stuff. The only things I would be uncomfortable getting used are storage devices, power supplies, and potentially the ram. You can save yourself some serious cash going used. A 4790k is still nothing to sneeze at, and I've seen some really good combo bargains on ebay from time to time. ("4790k combo" in ebay search).

For all that its worth, this is the system I bought my little brother :

View attachment 184445

Obviously, he got what he got; and it aint "great". The only things I changed were I gave him a bigger SSD I wasnt using, we threw the case out immediately (it was THE WORST lol), but the rest has been awesome for him. With the 70$ in rebates from that, and adding in the new case, it was like 500$ all together. He plays MMO's and has been having a great time. I expect no errors or headaches, and if he wants an upgrade, he can save up and buy a new rig later on.

I was looking at the non k 6700 for the fact I don't want to over clock his system. I am not overclocking him system because I don't want to deal with any issues. When you say the OC i5 is better is it a factory OC on that chip?

I also still find www.microcenter.com to have the best prices around. I been using that sit to look up prices.

Its not better unless it has a heavy overclock (and even then...) which you said 2x you wouldn't do. So if you really want the newest gear, the 6700 non-K will be a good choice.

I was looking at the non k 6700 for the fact I don't want to over clock his system. I am not overclocking him system because I don't want to deal with any issues. When you say the OC i5 is better is it a factory OC on that chip?

I also still find www.microcenter.com to have the best prices around. I been using that sit to look up prices.

You don't have to overclock. The i7 6700 is a fine cpu, but is still a lot slower than the 6700k based on stock clocks and frequencies. You can save money by not grabbing a "Z" board. I was saying as a generality, an i5 with a good overclock is usually superior (FOR GAMING) to the i7 non k of its generation. If youre not overclocking, its a moot point anyway.

You don't have to overclock. The i7 6700 is a fine cpu, but is still a lot slower than the 6700k based on stock clocks and frequencies. You can save money by not grabbing a "Z" board. I was saying as a generality, an i5 with a good overclock is usually superior (FOR GAMING) to the i7 non k of its generation. If youre not overclocking, its a moot point anyway.
I don't want to open a can of worms OCing his system. If it was my system then I would.

I was saying as a generality, an i5 with a good overclock is usually superior (FOR GAMING) to the i7 non k of its generation. If youre not overclocking, its a moot point anyway.

Really depends if the games uses more then 4 cores :)

I don't want to open a can of worms OCing his system. If it was my system then I would.

I cant help but feel youre missing my point lol.

I7 6700 -> 3400mhz + boost
I7 6700k -> 4000mhz + boost

no overclocking required, its simply faster out the box. For the 20$ difference (at microcenter), I'd get the 6700k over the 6700. You can make up the cost difference by getting an H170 instead of a Z170.

Back