• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W/C Help for my rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

What's going on guys, been away for a bit due to health reasons and back now and having another crack at this. I decided to do something crazy and sold off my GTX 1070 SC and ordered (2) AMD RX 480 XFX reference cards. I also decided it was time to jump on a sub $400 Samsung 28" 4K monitor with free sync. I would like to water cool the rig now but been away for such a time it's like starting all over again. Apparently I did some good research last time to get me setup proper for this precise scenario down the road. I do have many questions guys so please bare with me. I really wanted to buy the XFX GTR RX 480's but they're not reference design so what would my choices be for blocks........

Any how the system specs now are the following:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/kj9gXL

Everything is on hand there except the dual GPU's which are due in stock the 26th, and the monitor I just ordered yesterday. So right now I'm rocking my old GTX 980 and the Dell 1440p 27" monitor

This computer is my media and gaming experience. I stream a lot of you tube (as in watch it not create it), and do a lot of stuff online researching various things, and of course gaming. Right now I play mostly Doom, SWBF, the new COD, Metro, and some Trine 2 here and htere with Shadow of Mordor, and let's not leave out my beginning to dabble in star citizen.

So my questions, and some may or may not be related directly to water cooling, but that is the end goal here and I didn't want to have various threads for the same build (2.0):

1) Is it worth ditching a 5820K that is stable at 4.5 all day for anything newer?

2) If I did my research correct, I can run dual GPU's on my X99 Sabertooth with the 5820K AND an M.2 drive because the M.2 will pull directly from the CPU and the PCie for the GPU's will run (x16,x8) correct? I am fast running out of drive space, the new COD alone as a fresh install was over 60GB lol........

Answer to this is YES

3) I trust my 850w G2 PSU to be up to this task......?

4) Which M.2? I would like the OS on there and then I can run (2) SSD's that are bigger than my current 250gb/120gb ones, which I can keep for benching drives for later............ I was eyeballing the OCZ M.2 by Toshiba:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228163

I snagged a Samsung 950 Pro 256gb M.2

5) GPU blocks......universal or reference card specific? What makes and EK or Bitspower Block worth more than say the XSPC Blades? I do not see back plates to go with the blades at PPC..............

6) CPU blocks- The Raystorm looks good here too while we are talking XSPC..............but I know a lot of folks are on the EK trip.
Solved- XSPC Raystorm Pro CPU Block

7) I would like to go with C/F, clear tubing, and clear fluid with biocide of some kind. Thoughts....?

8) The million dollar question, how much rad space to run these GPU's and CPU without fear of over heating......let's say 120.2 for the CPU itself (I have 140.2 for it now with the AIO) and the 120.3 for the GPU's? Is one loop ok now or we still say two separate loops.......?

Depending on the answer to #8 I may or may not need a bigger case.....?

Solved- Looking for a new Case..........

9) still looking to swiftech for pumps?
Solved- Swiftech 50X

I am sure I will have more questions along the way and I have really tried to read up as much as I can but there is soooo much info and much of it is years old so I want to make sure I am on the right track here........

If you guys need more info from me please feel free to ask

Thanks
E-Mobo

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at number 8.

The cpu is a 140w chip. The gpu's are 150 watts a piece. So you are cooling 440 watts of components. General rule is 120x1 of rad for every 100 watts. So if you have 120x5 of rad you should be able to handle 500 watts of heat. So you are basically going to have just what you need. If you could fit 2x360 rads or a 360 and 2x240 rads you will definitely have better temps but you should get by with a decent 360 and 240 rad but you will need to run the fans at a decent clip to achieve good cooling.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I run a Raystorm without any major issues for a cpu block.

I'll take a stab at number 8.

The cpu is a 140w chip. The gpu's are 150 watts a piece. So you are cooling 440 watts of components. General rule is 120x1 of rad for every 100 watts. So if you have 120x5 of rad you should be able to handle 500 watts of heat. So you are basically going to have just what you need. If you could fit 2x360 rads or a 360 and 2x240 rads you will definitely have better temps but you should get by with a decent 360 and 240 rad but you will need to run the fans at a decent clip to achieve good cooling.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I run a Raystorm without any major issues for a cpu block.

Yeah this is what I figured. Guess it's time to go case shopping lol......... I didn't want to have to go much larger but there's no way to fit much more in the R5.......shame.........

Can you explain what the "pro" model CPU block offers over the non pro from XSPC?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-raystorm-pro-cpu-waterblock-intel.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-raystorm-cpu-waterblock-v3-intel.html

Thanks for chiming in :)

Here is a good review that talks about the Pro and makes comparison to the V3.

The main take away is that XSPC took all of the problems with the V3 and tried to fix them in the pro. Some of the main differences.

Solid one piece aluminum bracket vs a 2 piece plastic bracket.

Waterblock is copper lower and upper vs copper lower and acetyl upper.

Improved water flow channel design.

All of this leads to a better quality product and slightly better overall temps.

If I was rebuilding my system now I would choose the pro over the V3.

Here is a good review that talks about the Pro and makes comparison to the V3.

The main take away is that XSPC took all of the problems with the V3 and tried to fix them in the pro. Some of the main differences.

Solid one piece aluminum bracket vs a 2 piece plastic bracket.

Waterblock is copper lower and upper vs copper lower and acetyl upper.

Improved water flow channel design.

All of this leads to a better quality product and slightly better overall temps.

If I was rebuilding my system now I would choose the pro over the V3.

Perfect I appreciate the help. That settles one item at least :) So we can call #8 solved :thup:

Look around as there are mid size cases that can fit 120.5 of rad or 120.3 and 120.2 worth. For example, the Corsair Air 540 can do so with Alphacool ST30 (30mm) radiators.

As for pumps, if you ever purchase a Aquaero down the road, you'll need to figure out if you do because it won't control just any pump but if you're not, a single D5 or DDC (35x/50x) pump from Swiftech for example is fine.

Thanks I was eyeballing the Swiftech 50X and the D5 Vario from EK, any preference between the two?

Smaller footprint of the 50x and the price is really appealing. ;)
It's all I use.

Perfect thanks for the input. Do you feel I should isolate the GPU's on their own loop separate from my CPU? Or run one 50x and one big loop?

The 50x is more than enough for a single all inclusive loop.

Ok Perfect so we can mark the question on the pump and loop resolved. Do you recommend any particular res for the 50X? Or is it a matter of preference really when it comes to this?

Totally up to aesthetics of the user. They all do the same thing. Pick something you like. :)

Anytime.

BTW, Watercool makes some really nice stuff. Be sure to check them out too.

Anytime.

BTW, Watercool makes some really nice stuff. Be sure to check them out too.

I started to see that name looking at rads, are they a new company?

Lochekey stirred some cobwebs in the amount of rad space to use for my loop and he's right more is better one to be on the safe side and two to keep it quiet running your fans at lower rpms so this will be my goal. I just need to find a different case as I do no think I will be able to achieve all I want with this case and it not be a pain in the arse to work in etc.......

Here are some of the mfgers for CPU and GPU blocks.

CPU and GPU - Swiftech, XSPC, Koolance, EK, Alphacool, Watercool, etc. I'm sure there's more but these are off the top of my head.

Back