• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice Nimble #12!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@rk

Hello Everyone!
Im inviting every Novice member to compete with me in the Novice Nimble #12 for our great forum!
We have competed in 5 Novice nimbles and placed 5th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd and 4th respectively.
We are looking to get as many members as possible in this Novice Nimble.

To those who want to compete read the rules of the competition.
RULES Of the Competition : http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_12/rules
Overview of the Competition : http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/novice_nimble_12
Oh and Dont forget the wallpaper, You must have the official background when doing the benchmarks. Link to the official Background : https://hwbotnews.s3.amazonaws.com/Competitions/1659_NoviceNimble12/novice-12-background-1920.jpg

As always, Please do not make any submissions until consulting the team so you do not invalidate another team members submission.

Stage #1 : Cinebench R15 (Intel)
Link To Stage #1

Stage #2 : HWBOT x265 1080P (AMD)
Link To Stage #2

Stage #3 : 3DMark01 (AMD/ATI)
Link To Stage #3

Stage #4 : HWBOT Prime (Intel)
Link To Stage #4

Stage #5 : Unigine Heaven Xtreme (Nvidia)
Link To Stage #5

If anyone wants to talk in a group chat we can make a group in Whatsapp, Skype, Google hangouts and Discord. If anyone wants to make/be in a group chat send me a PM.

And the Biggest rule of the competition : HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
Thanks M@rk, this is one area where we are lacking. New blood for benching isn't easily motivated. I think it's one of those things , you either like it or you don't and most don't understand. There's really no better way to learn to tune a system than benchmarking. If you need some pointers don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks M@rk, this is one area where we are lacking. New blood for benching isn't easily motivated. I think it's one of those things , you either like it or you don't and most don't understand. There's really no better way to learn to tune a system than benchmarking. If you need some pointers don't hesitate to ask.

Haha thanks! :D

Looking over some of the Leaderboards, lots of people are posting huge overclocks (like 5100mhz on a 6700k). Are most people that do these competitions using something beyond air/water cooling? I'm just wondering if the 'average' user has the components necessary for benching. I know my 6700k got HOT at 4800mhz, I can't imagine 5100mhz.

Looking over some of the Leaderboards, lots of people are posting huge overclocks (like 5100mhz on a 6700k). Are most people that do these competitions using something beyond air/water cooling? I'm just wondering if the 'average' user has the components necessary for benching. I know my 6700k got HOT at 4800mhz, I can't imagine 5100mhz.

I got to 4.8 with my 6600k and the thing that was holding me back was the Voltage. How they (And I) do it? In the frequency competition you can turn all your cores off except for one and that will keep the temperature low (At least much lower than all cores tured on). You can yield great results with your custom loop if you turn off all cores but one.

There's still many "ambient" competitors, meaning air/water at room temps. Running a bench at 5.0 and stability testing are two different animals. My stability test is finishing the benchmark and getting a screen shot. That's it. If it passes it's stable enough. There's no harm in trying things out. If you don't like it or are afraid to kill something then you will soon find out.
I've been at this a while and TBH most of my HW failures were my fault. Getting rushed and careless. I still find it fun and intense also frustrating when you just need a little bit more.
Even if you find it's not for you , you will likely pick up a few things and know a bit more leaving than you did going in.
As M@rk said, end of the day it still needs to be fun.

Hey M@rk, you know I'm here to help. I will look over the stages tonight and try to give some suggestions.

Jeff, Yes it is doable on ambient cooling assuming you have high end cooling or an ice bath for your rad. I have not had a chance to peruse the stages yet but probably they are only hitting those clocks on less intensive benches like hwbot prime. The other thing is you have to be willing to push some high voltages beyond normal recommendations. For these benches the goal is to keep the system stable enough to run the bench and that is it. For some off these benches what I do is boot in low on core speed. Set everything up and then Jack the core speed just before running the bench. Then I grab muy screenshot with a program and turn the settings down before I crash. I have seen temps above 100 on the core during some benchmarks.

I cant submit stage #2 cause i dont own a AMD CPU so if someone want to do it (As well as other stages) youre welcome!

I also stumbled upon a error in 3DMark01, It says theres not 128Mb of RAM?? Tried copability settings and nothing worked :C
Its just not opening now but runs in the task manager?
Im on windows 8.1 Proffesional with WMC 64bit.

Normally that error doesn't matter.
3D01 runs much better on XP as well if you can manage

It could be Win8, true enough. 01 is a very old bench so could be an OS issue. Trust me though XP32 is the way to go. I know it's a pain to get installed on newer systems but not impossible and worth the trade off.

Finally wasnt lazy and done some benchmarks,
I submitted Stage#1 and Stage #4.

Nice , too bad we couldn't drum up some help for ya

The competition is over and we finished 9th!
Sorry for not submitting all the stages, I had no will at first and then school took place.
Anyway it was fun and entertaining!

Back