• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connected my pc to tv with hdmi, both fried.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

insistent

Registered
So yesterday i wanted to plug my pc to a friend lcd tv, first ive plugged the hdmi wire from my video card to the tv while its off, then plugged the power cord to pc, at this moment i heard loud buzzing and colorful flash coming from tv backpanel vent, i disconnected as soon as i can, but then tv would not turn on anymore, i have opened the backplate and there was a chips that was badly fried with a hole in it, later ive noticed that the hdmi cable was also bust, then learned later that my gtx 970 was also cooked, tho ive inspected its pcb and i could not find any kind of damage, fan still work but the computer wont detect the video card anymore, otherwise the pc seems to run ok on integrated gpu, but the psu also smell like magic smoke, motherboard certainly took a hit too so at this point i need to rebuild a pc.

Has this happend to anyone else before? What happend?

sounds like the case of the pc ended up live, perhaps a short in the power supply? or the pc case tried to ground through the tv or vice versa were you using grounded outlets? is the house properly grounded?
what kind of psu was it?

It was an Lsp ultra 750w.
I do think there is something funny with the wiring out there, at least there was on his kitchen ceiling light

And the follies of buying a cheap power supply continue.

edit: If its not your power supply, it was your friends power outlets. Get em tested, and MAYBE he can put an insurance claim on your computer and his tv... My insurance covers it, some companies do not, might be worth poking around.

And the follies of buying a cheap power supply continue.

edit: If its not your power supply, it was your friends power outlets. Get em tested, and MAYBE he can put an insurance claim on your computer and his tv... My insurance covers it, some companies do not, might be worth poking around.

This. There is so much rightness in this post.

Could be, i will tell him about it, maybe it could be his tv or outlet, my psu, or maybe theres many factor, kust wanna make sure it wont happen agaon
Though my pc is old, it was built in 2010 or 2011, same with psu, only upgrade so far is the gtx 970, it has no visible damage, fan and led still work, but computer wont detect it anymore, could there be a way to fix it somehow, its the only component that i care :/

Just because you had the PSU for that long doesn't mean it isn't a crap unit to begin with.

The computer knew what wholesome programming you boys were about to watch and promptly killed itself. The TV was collateral damage.

:D

If it wasn't the power supply, I'd put my money on a bad hdmi cable or hdmi connector on one of the ends causing a short.

only upgrade so far is the gtx 970, it has no visible damage, fan and led still work, but computer wont detect it anymore, could there be a way to fix it somehow, its the only component that i care :/

If your PSU failed, it might not be supplying the card with enough voltage. I wouldn't try running it, at all, until you get a decent PSU. Trying to make it run with improper power will be the one thing to kill the card if it's not already dead.

*You can get an EVGA 500W PSU for $30 new. Small price to pay for an expensive system.

Can someone fill me in on how his dubious power supply borked a TV? How did enough current go through a data cable to fry a TV? Pin 19 I believe is the only one with voltage (5v) outside of the hot on? It's also 5v.

Was the hdmi cable charred?

Edit: I see now in the first post. Apparently "hdmi was bust" means it charred too. :)

So yes, OP, crap psu strikes again...

Grab an evga 500b if you want an inexpensive ($50) but good psu.

Can someone fill me in on how his dubious power supply borked a TV? How did enough current go through a data cable to fry a TV?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone fill me in on how his dubious power supply borked a TV? How did enough current go through a data cable to fry a TV? Pin 19 I believe is the only one with voltage (5v) outside of the hot on? It's also 5v.

Was the hdmi cable charred?

bad ground mate.

bad ground mate.

Of the two, more likely to be a bad neutral and that requires an electrician and you need to call the poco, because the neutral connection to the transformer may be bad.

A bad neutral=Basically can act like your stuff is plugged in series and thus gets fried from overvoltage. 120s can basically be turned into a 240 or higher! Or, someone who touches a chassis becomes the neutral and thus a shock or short!

So yesterday i wanted to plug my pc to a friend lcd tv, first ive plugged the hdmi wire from my video card to the tv while its off, then plugged the power cord to pc, at this moment i heard loud buzzing and colorful flash coming from tv backpanel vent, i disconnected as soon as i can, but then tv would not turn on anymore, i have opened the backplate and there was a chips that was badly fried with a hole in it, later ive noticed that the hdmi cable was also bust, then learned later that my gtx 970 was also cooked, tho ive inspected its pcb and i could not find any kind of damage, fan still work but the computer wont detect the video card anymore, otherwise the pc seems to run ok on integrated gpu, but the psu also smell like magic smoke, motherboard certainly took a hit too so at this point i need to rebuild a pc.

Has this happend to anyone else before? What happend?

Did the PSU have an on/off rocker switch on the back? I've experienced a blown PSU when plugging in the power cord: sparks, loud popping noise. I think sometimes when this happens the problem may be on the backside of the PSU power plug. A wire or something comes loose and shorts things out. Cheap power supplies like you see on mass produced computers by HP, Dell etc. generally don't have PSU on/off switches so they get more where and tear at the plug because you can't turn them off easy. Or, a mosfet blows it's top off and makes all the noise and fireworks.

Did the PSU have an on/off rocker switch on the back? I've experienced a blown PSU when plugging in the power cord: sparks, loud popping noise. I think sometimes when this happens the problem may be on the backside of the PSU power plug. A wire or something comes loose and shorts things out. Cheap power supplies like you see on mass produced computers by HP, Dell etc. generally don't have PSU on/off switches so they get more where and tear at the plug because you can't turn them off easy. Or, a mosfet blows it's top off and makes all the noise and fireworks.

Yeah it had a on/off switch, i think the wiring on that house may be a major factor at least, it was not just a little happy spark, it was a loud buzz with a bright flash, powerful enough to melt a hole in one of the large tv pcb chipset in less than a second. Yet power breaker didnt go off.

it was a loud buzz with a bright flash, powerful enough to melt a hole in one of the large tv pcb chipset in less than a second. Yet power breaker didnt go off.

Just...damn.... I'm glad it didn't end up a larger issue, like a burning house.

So my friend called me, he plugged his new TV and nearly toasted it... Its the building.

sounds like someone has a 220v plugin that is improperly wired or labeled or something, no bueno.

Back