• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC keeps shutting down while BIOS is recovering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seiki01

Hi Overclockers,

This is my first post and I would actually like to ask for some help regarding my PC. I have the Gigabyte GA-FM2A78M-HD2 motherboard with AMD A10-6800K processor. I recently tried to update the BIOS but unluckily, the computer shuts off in the middle of the BIOS update. Now everytime I power on the computer, I get the prompt saying that the BIOS is corrupted and it will recover from the backup BIOS. However, the computer shuts off at around 50% to 60% of the BIOS recovery.

Is there anything that I can do to resolve this? Or am I already out of luck and stuck with a bricked mobo?

Thanks in advance!

Can you replace the bios chips on the board? If so, call giga and have them send you one. If not, afraid you are borked.

Did you clear the CMOS before attempting to update the BIOS ? If there is any instability then it'll crash. I would power down set the clr jumper and take the battery out for about 10-15 minutes and then try again.

Did you clear the CMOS before attempting to update the BIOS ? If there is any instability then it'll crash. I would power down set the clr jumper and take the battery out for about 10-15 minutes and then try again.

Actually, no. I didn't clear the CMOS before doing the BIOS update. I'll try that together with the battery and see if it works.

The bios does have a slight load when in it....but nothing close to what windows can do to it. It's also stopping in the approximately the same location each time. Im wondering if the bios chip(s) got messee up (amd possibly by the psu). If you have another psu around to check, it's worth the few minutes to check, but I'm leaning toward a borked bios if Johan's cmos suggestion doesn't do it.

Did you try holding in the start and reset button on the case till it boots up? That is something you can do with a Gigabyte board to use the backup Bios.

Back