• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question: Ram Modules

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killerkopote

Hi Guys,

New member and sorry for posting immediately as I'm not sure how's the search string for this inquiry.

I'm planning on building up a new desktop and planning to get a gskill 32G F4-2400C15Q-32GRR. However in my location is kinda difficult to get a hold of this module but I can see some stores selling just a 8g stick of gskill at 2400 speed.

My question is, is there a disadvantage of getting the 4 stick module vs getting a just 4pcs of the 8gigs gskill ram which is also at the same speed?... I haven't checked the timing but my goal is to build the new pc as soon as possible.. I might get 16gig first and probably just buy another 16gigs later if required on virtual environment.

thanks for reading.

The only disadvantage is that you can find sticks in single or dual rank and on various IC ( Samsung, Hynix, Micron ) which may have slightly different profiles. In most cases will still work together.

Buying RAM sticks at different times increases the risk they will not play together and be stable in dual channel mode, even if you buy the same model with same frequency, timings, etc. The point is they were a different production batch and there can be subtle differences. Now, truth be told most of the time you can get away with it and there won't be problems. All I'm saying is there is an increased statistical risk of having issues.

Back