• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I had a nice write up planned, then Windows 10.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I was going to do some RX 480/GTX 1070 comparisons between W10 and W7. Then W10 borked my W7 install and I won't bore you with the details.

So the following are Windows 7 benches. I've read that two RX 480s in Xfire are the budget giant (GTX 1080) killer, due to their performance and scaling. May be, but one GTX 1070 about doubles the performance of one RX 480 at 1080p, so I'll happily stick with a 1070. Both cards had a mild OC, 1330 MHz for the RX 480, and 2114 MHz for the GTX 1070. HWMonitor shows 2000 MHz for thr Radeon memory and 4007 MHz (!) for the 1070. Those numbers alone should about double the performance, so no surprises so far. I ran Catzilla a few times, but it lacks consistency, so take those numbers with a grain of salt. I tried a benchmark in one of my favorite games, War Thunder, but couldn't get screenshots so I'll just type out the results. Judging from the FPS in that one it doesn't work the card too hard. The CPU and RAM specs used are as listed in the sig.

This is the 480's Catzilla results, and temps. Max clocks are shown, as well. Catzilla. That puppy got warm. About doubled my old R7 260x score, though, so good showing for $250. :thup:
W7 RX 480.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

next... Next, the GTX 1070 takes on Catzilla-and whoops his furry little a**! With much cooler temps, to boot! The GPU stayed cooler than the CPU! Wow. I am impressed with this card.

OC.PNG 5 percent GPU OC 4500 MHz CPU.PNG

Going to Heaven with the 480 next. :) Temps and clocks were the same. I think the card was throttling on the top end because the temps were pretty high.

1920x1064p.PNG

temps.PNG

Last edited:
Had a keyboard quirk, now for the GTX 1070 Heaven scores. :) I forgot to get a screenshot of the temps, but they weren't really worth recording anyway. I really like this card.
GPU CPU OC.PNG

I'll post the War Thunder bench numbers with some pics shortly. And I'm wishing I'd gotten a bigger case.......

War Thunder benches (Battle of Berlin)
RX 480
Average FPS 283.8
Minimum FPS 189.4
Rating 26100

GTX 1070
Average FPS 408.8
Minimum FPS 236
Rating 37585

Last edited:
Pics

Pics! I haven't finished the clean up inside the case due to OS issues I'm trying to sort out, but here it is. First, it's big. Like, very big.

This was my first thought when I opened my case to install it: Can't get the video to embed.

RGB LEDs! So it matches my lighting.
matching LED.jpg

Bottom view.

bottom view.jpg

With a DVD case for scale. I actually thought my case was big. LOL.
DVD for scale.jpg

Last edited:
Both cards had a mild OC, 1330 MHz for the RX 480, and 2114 MHz for the GTX 1070.

2114mhz for a 1070 is a 'mild oc'?

1330mhz is basically stock for a 480 these days too most people are hitting 1400mhz+. But they can get hot.

Are you using a reference 480?

It was a 8 GB VisionTek reference card, one of the early ones. Default was 1266 MHz. 1330 MHz was an easy, stable bump for it. Using the software from Galax I just clicked on the "5%" OC button and let fly. It went to 2114 MHz on that. I haven't tried to see how far it will go. So far it seems a pretty solid card for 1080p. Any real OCing would be for fun, not really because it's needed for anything. Did I get exactly twice the performance for exactly twice the cost? Nah. I did get a great card that easily almost doubles the 480s performance, looks great, makes my build look better, and runs a lot cooler doing all that. For my 1080p display an RX 480 will happily make the majority of games very playable for not much money. Performance wasn't the only reason I upgraded, though. :)

Last edited:
That 1070 can go higher, run the benchs fullscreen with fans @100% - this is my 980Ti with 368.69 (higher scores and lower temps) @+50/+500 :

368.69 50-500.jpg

Also +1000 to Firefly :thup:

Yeah. I noticed the windowed, reduced resolution of the 480 score after I installed the 1070. I matched it to keep the comparison apples/apples. I just did the quick and dirty "5%" OC with the Galax software since I had a 5% OC on the RX. I tried to keep everything as even as possible. I haven't figured out all of the Galax UI yet, so no big clocks.

I thought 2114mhz was a big clock, most of 1070/1080 i read about stay on the 1950mhz/2050mhz margin ?

Pics! I haven't finished the clean up inside the case due to OS issues I'm trying to sort out, but here it is. First, it's big. Like, very big.

This was my first thought when I opened my case to install it: Can't get the video to embed.

RGB LEDs! So it matches my lighting.
View attachment 184654

Bottom view.

View attachment 184655

With a DVD case for scale. I actually thought my case was big. LOL.
View attachment 184656

DAYUMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Oh btw why are your 6700k's voltage is so high?

Too lazy to find the right voltage huh? Lol

Mmmmmm........maybe. LOL. Actually, I was in a hurry to get it done. I was going to write a nice comparison between W7 and W10 with both cards stock and OC'd. Windows 10 damaged my W7 install, now it takes two tries and convoluted BIOS shenanigans to boot in to W7. I keep getting the bootmgr missing error and I wanted to fix that, as it was driving me nuts having it screwy. Still working on that, in fact. I really, really hate Windows 10. Once it's sorted I'll have a spare 120 GB SSD, though. :)

Mmmmmm........maybe. LOL. Actually, I was in a hurry to get it done. I was going to write a nice comparison between W7 and W10 with both cards stock and OC'd. Windows 10 damaged my W7 install, now it takes two tries and convoluted BIOS shenanigans to boot in to W7. I keep getting the bootmgr missing error and I wanted to fix that, as it was driving me nuts having it screwy. Still working on that, in fact. I really, really hate Windows 10. Once it's sorted I'll have a spare 120 GB SSD, though. :)

Good luck! :)

Back