• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's everyone up to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts

Like the title says. (other than Halloween preparations.) Weather is starting to cool off, AC only runs for part of the day. Time to get ready for when I need the heat.

Starting by dusting out the one I'm currently running (hex core). This thing is more effective at picking up cat fur than my vacuum cleaner. :rolleyes: And with 4 fat cats that like to shed...

What prompted this is I'm currently leak testing a new pump. This is on my 4790 rig, in the case that used to house my former AMD FX rig. The 4790 may get fired up soon, we'll see.
I'm down to 4 in the stable. After finding out the 4p can pull 700+ watts from the wall, I know why it acts like a space heater and I was popping breakers last year.

FWIW, pump is an mcp 50x with res top. Unfortunately, my older res tops won't fit this pump. I did manage to crack the new res using an older barb and too much force. Apparently, the one enclosed barb is for the side of the res as it's about 1 thread shorter than my old barbs. I did manage to seal the crack, this is the main reason for the leak testing, as rest of the loop has been in service for quite a while.

So, I was mistaken. Forgot about a 5775 rig I have collecting dust.
4790 is up, but slated for a reload of the OS. I'm surprised it's running considering HD/OS was for an AMD.

So, 4790 is up, but slated for a reload of the OS. I'm surprised it's running considering HD/OS was for an AMD.

Interesting.

I built a new HTPC last night on an AMD platform. A8-7600 APU and an Asus A88XM-A. Nice little machine!

If it were a Windoze machine...
HD was a pull from the old FX machine I ran last year. (Ubuntu)

That said, got a 4p running. Granted credit is only half of last years credits. I guess Rosetta decided these machines are to slow to get the results back. Doesn't matter that they'll do 10-1 vs my other "quicker" machines. Guess they'll be re-purposed as expensive bookends.

I'm just running rosey on my i7 and A4 at the moment. Once winter is over and the temps start going up I'll probably shut down the i7 but I'm tempted to keep the A4 going year round. Even at 100% load it's pretty quiet on the stock heatsink and with a better heatsink it could be silent. Little dual-core is good for 1K RAC, it's not much but at least it will keep me on the leaderboard as an active user. :)

baditude_df said:
I built a new HTPC last night on an AMD platform. A8-7600 APU and an Asus A88XM-A. Nice little machine!

Yeah dude, those APUs make pretty great HTPCs. I have a super cheap *** HTPC right now running a A4-7300. It's absurdly huge because of the case but pretty much quiet, for a HTPC it does what I want, and it was fun to build another AMD system. I hadn't built one since the 939 days. :)

Yeah dude, those APUs make pretty great HTPCs. I have a super cheap *** HTPC right now running a A4-7300. It's absurdly huge because of the case but pretty much quiet, for a HTPC it does what I want, and it was fun to build another AMD system. I hadn't built one since the 939 days. :)
I miss the 939 days :) I had an old Opty 160 and a DFI board that I did my very first overclock on. Oh, and the Ram!!! Dual 512MB sticks of PC3200 Mushkin Redline 2-2-2-5!!!! Those were the days!

PS: I think I paid more for that Redline than I did for my current 16GB set of Dominator Platinums. Lol!

Guess I'll use this thread for my "rambling" thread.

I had to shut down for a couple days due to Mother Nature warm up, most back and running now. Key word, most. Hex core down due to board failure. Board wouldn't hold and OC since spring, so it was a matter of time. Got a power "blip" and that was all she wrote...Sure do wish socket 2011 boards weren't so expensive. Oh well, add it to the "failed parts" pile.

Well, unfortunately I can add 1 more to the failed parts pile. Board appears to have failed on my 4790. I sure do hope that board failures don't rival the number of HDD failures I had last year...

Wow! That's crazy man! I have some old boards lying around, but nothing that will fit that 4790.

No worries, if I actually paid retail for my boards, I may be upset. I'll just keep my eyes open for both $$ and someone parting with their old stuff.

What stinks is that is the rig that got the new water pump.

I'm crunching again. ;) For a bit anyway. I just set up a new (old) system and I want to stress test it a bit. I want to make sure the heat sink is properly seated.
Rosy should be good for that.

I'm crunching again. ;) For a bit anyway. I just set up a new (old) system and I want to stress test it a bit. I want to make sure the heat sink is properly seated.
Rosy should be good for that.
Excellent! Nice to have you back!

Back