• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

music app skips...etc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
This is not a new issue with smartphone music players, but it is new to me, and making me kind of hate my fairly new Nexus 5x.

Googling-for-answers shows skipping issues with smartphone music players since at least 2009. I've seen suggestions that formatting the SD card will fix the skipping...but the Nexus 5x only has the internal drive.

I've tried different players but the skipping persists. I don't know how to define this problem, is it:

1. a music player problem

2. an Android problem

???

Some kind of "settings" issue that I'm not aware of/ am overlooking?

So the audio skips while playing?

This was quite the issue on my LG Eclypse, the C800G. I resolved the issue by increasing the CPU speed at idle. 122Mhz is too slow to playback audio.
No-Frills CPU control is what I used and still use on my LG G3.

Not sure if it will work without root, kinda depends on the kernel installed as well.

Can't say for sure slow CPU speeds is your issue since most phone are now quad core or octa core, so lower speeds are fine because of all the free cores available.

Could it be that the music was recorded at weird bitrates or in a format not 100% compatible ? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app ?

So the audio skips while playing?

This was quite the issue on my LG Eclypse, the C800G. I resolved the issue by increasing the CPU speed at idle. 122Mhz is too slow to playback audio.
No-Frills CPU control is what I used and still use on my LG G3.

Not sure if it will work without root, kinda depends on the kernel installed as well.

Can't say for sure slow CPU speeds is your issue since most phone are now quad core or octa core, so lower speeds are fine because of all the free cores available.

This is solid advice. if you are against root, then Im not sure what will work for CPU freq control, but I have seen apps that claim to be capable without root. Checking the install location: Settings > Apps > whatever the app name is > Location(?) will tell you if its on internal storage or whatever else. I know you said there is only internal storage, but I have seen emulated SD cards in these scenarios. Place your App wherever the "native" storage location would be for faster read/write times. You might also consider looking into increasing the swap space (generally disabled on Android, but can be enabled through root access).

Oops, what I should have said, is that: A song will play for maybe 20 seconds, then the player will skip to the next song. :eek:
Ohhhhhh Okay, yeah that's a different issue.

Almost sounds like corrupt files or something....

Try copying a few known good files one at a time to the phone, reboot the phone and try playing them.

Hah; I thought you were talking about skipping while playing too, and that should decidedly NOT happen on a 5X, or any modern phone.

What you're experiencing definitely sounds like bad files. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with phone performance. :)

I get all kinds of BS network/payback issues with hemmoroid. Not songskipping ones, networking as well as playback from the phone ones. I use VLC which connects ONLY to the streaming url's I pick, but even when I'm playing music from the phone I get momentary silence skips. Gotta say, android as the all-in-wonder is a pile o '****e. What we need is a dedicated ts pc in the car with ssd's/nvme's. I also notice in and around lots of (traffic) activity is when it happens a lot more than say on a deserted highway, but that's more than likely cause of cell tower changes/whatnot. They have wireless usb flash drives now too which are about the same $ as a mini sd card.
Skipping half a song is file corruption tbs.

O.K., indeed file corruption is the problem, not the app or Android system, glad for that. However, I don't know why/how they got corrupted. ??? N-E way, I made a list of songs on my phone, and will check my music storage drives to make sure the files are good.

I've never done any file transfers via USB, (I really don't have alot of files for the phone) but I use Airdroid to copy files to/from the phone. A hand full of music, maybe download some photos, but actually camera pics upload to Dropbox pretty much in real-time.

Maybe it was a glitch in Airdroid or something.... Maybe the microwave was turn on while you were transferring the files :D

My main music folder is on a 6tb sata6 drive in mostly flac. Phone gets mp3's (converted & tagged), and my wd 1tb portable is slowly getting all of its contents converted to mp3 as well so that it will eventually resemble a folder on my phone. Everything is backed up, corruption be darned.

Back