• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I5 3570k overclock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zero83

Registered
Hi, I'm new to overclocking and tried my first oc. My specs

Intel I5 3570k 3.4ghz
Msi z77a gd65 gaming mono
12 gig corsair vengeance 1600 ram
Corsair H80i all in one water cooling
Corsair 850watt psu

So In Bios I upped the processor to 4.2.
I left every other option in bios alone except for the cpu voltage which I manually set to 1.0 (from what I read this is acceptable but I'm nervous)

So now I'm in windows. I have Prime95 running at priority 10 blend test. We are now on hour 11. RealtempGT say over these 11 hours my my max temps are 64 degrees on a given core and 58/59 on others.
I'm going to continue to let p95 run today.

My questions are this.

1. So far is thus a stable oc since 11 hours in I have no errors?

2. I've read that even if I pass p95 for 24 hours I can still crash in games? Is this true?

3. I'm worried my voltage is to high regardless if I'm stable? With these settings can I burn out my cpu?

Thanks for all the help.

Everything seems fine to me. You're no where near the limits of the chip . I'm surprised at the 1.0 voltage setting which makes me think it's going higher in OS under stress test. If you could HWMonitor(free) is a handy monitoring tool which will give voltages and temps. If you could post a screen shot with HWMonitor open while running P95 that will go a long ways. You may as well post shots of CPUz main, memory and SPD tabs as well.

1. Likely. Most use small fft to test cpu, then blend last for everything as it tests memory as well (but not as hard on cpu).
2. Maybe, but doubtful.
3. 1.0V is likely BELOW or at most 3570k's stock voltage.. you will be fine.

Great thanks for the replies. Am I correct 8n this assumption

If I am gaming and I crash am I correct to assume I would increase the cpu voltage?

Ok great. I was really nervous about killing my cpu. Iafter I finish my p95 test I'll run it again with small fft just be be extra sure I'm stable, then I guess it's just Normal use after that. If that passes should I try to push the processor harder, seeing as I can push my voltage harder or run like this for a while? Thanks again for all the help

Correct. You are nowhere near a voltage limit. Feel free to check out the guide I linked to give you a ballpark idea of voltages these cpus can take....assuming temps are in order.

Feel free to push further and ask more questions after checking out the guide. :)

Thanks. Would I do any harm upping my voltage to say 1.2 and leaving the clock alone to just make sure I won't crash during games? Thanks

1.2V is fine so long as temps are in order. Check out the guide it gives you these necessary, but elementary pieces of information. :)

Just read through the guide. SUPER helpful. I'll up the voltage to 1.2 and run IBT when I get home and report back. Thanks

Well, im back

So at 20 hours of Primee95 Blend there were no errors, Max temps at any one core was 64.
I next ran IBT for 10 checks. At the end everything passed again with no errors. With That Test, my highest temp at any one core was 67. I ran CPUID HW Montior to watch the voltage as this was happening. CPU Voltage was at a stead 1.152. I then ran P95 agai nwithg SmallTTF for 3 Hours, again, no errors. Is it safe to say I have a stable OC at 4.2ghz? Will I be OK for gaming now?

Ok great. I was really nervous about killing my cpu. Iafter I finish my p95 test I'll run it again with small fft just be be extra sure I'm stable, then I guess it's just Normal use after that. If that passes should I try to push the processor harder, seeing as I can push my voltage harder or run like this for a while? Thanks again for all the help

When you test with prime95 blend default it rotates from small FFT to large FFT every 3 minutes using memory for rotation . So since you tested with prime 95 Blend for as long as you wanted your done.:)

Well, im back

So at 20 hours of Primee95 Blend there were no errors, Max temps at any one core was 64.
I next ran IBT for 10 checks. At the end everything passed again with no errors. With That Test, my highest temp at any one core was 67. I ran CPUID HW Montior to watch the voltage as this was happening. CPU Voltage was at a stead 1.152. I then ran P95 agai nwithg SmallTTF for 3 Hours, again, no errors. Is it safe to say I have a stable OC at 4.2ghz? Will I be OK for gaming now?

With those temps and voltage I'd shoot for 4.4-4.6ghz :D

Well, I did somthing wrong. I had shut down my PC alast night but when I went to boot it up jssut now I was stuck in a boot loop. I then saw an error that said overclock settings invalid, press F1 to restore default settings. So now I am back to square one non over clocked. I want to try again but now im really nervous. I thaught me settings were solid after passing all those tests what might I have done wrong?

I have an MSI Z77a-GD65 Gaming with OC genie2. I tried to follow the above guide but im not sure whre I went wrong? any advise?
I also cant find LLC on my motherboard/ Do I need that?

Thnaks

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post. Another question. The guide is for OC to 4.5 If I want to jsut OC to 4.2 Can I keep the CPu voltage of 1.25 without burning anything out?

Thanks again

I would try 4.2GHz with default settings in bios just increasing the multiplier. The CPU will use it's own VID control with overclocking set by Intel. Take a look at the stock overclocked 4.2GHz voltage is with HWmoniter under stress test, you will be surprised what stock safe voltage is.

You don't need LLC (load line calibration) just set Adaptive offset + what you want for more vcore.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post. Another question. The guide is for OC to 4.5 If I want to jsut OC to 4.2 Can I keep the CPu voltage of 1.25 without burning anything out?

Thanks again
Yes.. but it's likely way of much vomtage for the clock. You can give this cpu over 1.35v with no problems (assuming good cooling).

I would try 4.2GHz with default settings in bios just increasing the multiplier. The CPU will use it's own VID control with overclocking set by Intel. Take a look at the stock overclocked 4.2GHz voltage is with HWmoniter under stress test, you will be surprised what stock safe voltage is.

You don't need LLC (load line calibration) just set Adaptive offset + what you want for more vcore.

Ive tried just using multiplier with stock voltage and failed p95 lend test. What is adaptive offset? What if I dont have it?

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that my PC rebooted and I got that reset to default message scared the crap out of me. should I be worrird?

You have it.

Adaptive Mode: Adaptive mode was introduced with Haswell because the integrated voltage regulator (FIVR) offered the CPU greater control of voltage over a large frequency range; it was much easier and much faster for the CPU to calculate how much voltage to apply at frequencies below the maximum set. Adaptive mode was basically an extension of the automatic CPU voltage mode and you could set a target voltage and/or an offset. Skylake doesn't offer exactly the same level of voltage regulation, so adaptive mode seems to have been implemented a bit differently (through SVID) and BIOS manipulation
Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/748...-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index5.html

Edit: you should not be worried...

Back