• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Portal Build...a step into Madness!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilgore

Registered
Hi folks,

My son and I have been planning this Portal build for about a year and its finally coming to pass. I am trying to design the build to be easily upgradable, function for gaming, work applications, and look really bad ***!!

This will be our first liquid custom loop and, of course, we are diving in with both feet. I will put up a parts list and then post some build pics as we go. I am sure I will have lots of questions so thanks in advance for your patience and information.

Parts List:

Hardware

Case: Thermaltake Core X9 Snow edition
Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe II
PSU: Corsair AX1200I Platinum
CPU: Intel Core I7 6800k
GPU: Asus GTX 1080 Strix Advanced
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512 GB
SSD: Haven't decided if I want another SSD
Storage drive: WD Black 1 TB

Liquid Cooling

Rads: 2 Hardware labs Black Ice 360s (primer only so my son and I can paint them)
Pumps: 2 EK-XTop Revo D5 PWMs
Brackets: 2 EK-UNI Pump Brackets (these will be sanded and painted to match the rads)
Res: 2 EK RES X3 250s
Res Brack: Singularity Computers Ethereal Dual v3 (will also be painted to match other brackets)
Tubing: Thermaltake 5/8" OD PETG
Fittings: Monsoon Chain Gun Hardline Compression Fittings
CPU block: EK Supremacy EVO Plexi
Gpu block: EK FC 1080 Plexi Strix
Fans: That has been tough but thinking of going with the Corsair HD120s RGB.
Coolant: Still not sure, we want coolant to match the blue and orange liquids in the Portal 2 game. It will be opaque.

Almost everything Is here, just waiting on the fittings for the tubing, which should be here by tomorrow. We have the motherboard put together and the liquid cooler on the GPU. I will post some pictures once i am sure how to do it without violating forum rules. We are trying to keep a good photographic log so we can refer back to it later.

Later,
Stil

Trying to post some progress pictures. Sorry if I screw it up, I do not post pictures often.
Portal GPU.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my son with most of the gear. One happy kid! Gear Picture.jpg

Looks like a solid build! I'll stick around for more updates.

A few questions if you don't mind me asking, why a 1200W PSU and 32Gb of Ram? Seems very excessive.

Sure. Bring on the questions.

The 32 gigs of ram are mainly for my wife's benefit. She uses very large and very information processing heavy files and often has multiple files open at a time multi tasking.

Just got a great deal on the ax1200i. Paid the same for it as I would have for the comparable 750 watt

Wow..
Going in with the big gunz!

The gear looks promising. Have fun :)

my first ever build under water was a simple cpu-only 1-rad loop with copper/alu in the mix.. (transparent coolant came out blue..) and I still wouldn't dare going dual-loop (or dual pump)..
Okay, if I could score a big sponsoring deal (with hardware parts), I might do it :D

OK folks, got some decent progress this weekend. The family business has been busy so I haven't got as much done as I hoped. I'm sure we all suffer from the problem. Overall, I am happy with the paint job. My son helped me out and he picked out all the colors. I think it will be a very clean looking system. We will be flushing and installing the rads and the rad fans today......I hope!

pre paint.jpg after paint.jpg GPU installed.jpg

Later,
Stil

Oh yeah.....

Almost forgot, I think I found what I needed to get a laser effect within the case.

Did some research and found a site that sells side firing fiber optic cable in 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm diameters. they also sell some high output leds that can be heat wrapped to the end of the cable. I think it looks great online so I am going to give it a shot to see if I cant build a housing for 4 to 6 of them and string them from the bottom to the top of the case. the rads on top will hide the terminus of the cable. Hopefully I can power the LEDs with a molex connector. Not to good with electronics and soldering but Im willing to give it a go!

Sweet, new blood for the asylum!
:welcome: Stilgore
Cool your son is into it...
Keep the pics coming, its what makes a proj log!

Cheers

Back