• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Final Fantasy fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was looking at potentially getting it, but got a bunch of other games coming in I might just hold off a bit more on this one as I know it takes time.

First Final Fantasy game I played was X and sadly that was the last one I played. Really enjoyed that game too.

I was looking at potentially getting it, but got a bunch of other games coming in I might just hold off a bit more on this one as I know it takes time.

First Final Fantasy game I played was X and sadly that was the last one I played. Really enjoyed that game too.

$48 for Amazon Prime members during the first two weeks of launch ;)

Played the tutorial, haven't gone back since due to being busy/too tired to try getting into it. My brother is 3 chapters in though (my game/ps4, but he's younger/just finished school so at home all the time so he plays while I'm at work lol).

I get that at Best Buy any day of the week. :)

I don't have time to get to the store often, Amazon is just easier. But the GC is a good deal for gamers with a store near by (30min drive for me :/ )

4 days later and I still haven't played it. I officially hate Sony. My PS4 wouldn't let me load the game because my firmware was too old (an offline game!) So after searching for ways around this I finally cave and dig out a cat cable long enough to reach my router and spend an hour feeding it through the wall and making it look pretty. I hit "Update" and of course it requires a PSN account which my PS4 won't create for some reason. Boot up the PC and create an account (which again takes way too long). Go back to my PS4 and it still won't log in. Spend another hour on it with no luck, google the issue and it turns out it's common and a factory reset is the only answer. Factory reset time - 1 hour 36 min. So 96 minutes later I'm back to a factory reset console. Finally I can log in. Update time took another 30 minutes. Then FFXV updated for another 15 minutes. Try to boot the game and it requires a day 1 patch, yep another 45 minutes. Now it's midnight and I just shut it off and went to bed.
Maybe tonight I'll actually get to see the opening scene?

And people say consoles are easier than PCs... :)

Bit late now, but PS4 supports wifi so you could have saved finding a cable.

And people say consoles are easier than PCs... :)

Bit late now, but PS4 supports wifi so you could have saved finding a cable.

Yeah...but if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right. I hate wifi, I have everything wired that I can. On the off-chance I ever do any online gaming, I'll be glad I ran the cable. In hindsight, I should have ran extra cable to my entertainment center when I built it.

Regardless of prior issues, I did get about an hour to play.

Pro's: It's beautiful. Its fluid. The story looks to be decent.
Con's: Random artifacting. Random frame issues. Overly complicated level systems (weapons, magic, ascension[?] grid, cooking, training, combos, etc). This would have been a perfect example where "less is more" could have worked. Too much going on (feels a bit gimmicky) and it ultimately distracts from the story which is one of the games strongest points.

Overall, I'm liking it so far. Once I get used to all the buttons, menus, and upgrade paths I'm sure I'll like it even more. It's nothing like the old games, it definitely embraces a more modern setup, but it's still a pretty solid game so far.

I think I like in some other/older games, they introduce you to the game mechanics a bit at a time so you don't have to cope with everything in one hit. Just combat alone is hard enough! I've not had much time in FFXV as I'm prioritising completing Pokemon Moon first, but I'd say, don't worry about everything until you need to.

I'm 5 hours of play time in, so far it's a pretty good game. It's so far away from a traditional FF game that it's hard to think of it as one, but as a stand-alone game not part of the series it's pretty good.

My major complaints so far:
- Load times. Might as well hit Start and go make some lunch. It'll still be loading when you get back.
- Spawning. So many times I've been running and had enemies spawn on top of me. In the old games, it was always a random attack when running but this game was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be an open area where you could choose to engage or not. Don't get much choice, or tact, when they spawn on top of you. I've seen this with cars on the road too, they randomly pop in/out.
- The open world with tons of side quests combined with just one main character (as opposed to the old party system) conjoined with the gimmicks like fishing, cooking, photography, etc really detracts from the story. The more I play, the less I care about what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm not vested in Noctis' story at all, the story line just doesn't grab you like the older games did, and I find myself doing more side quests than main quests.

Things that surprised me:
- While the Regalia again feels more gimmicky than anything, I found the radio to be very entertaining. You can listen to classics from all the previous games. It's a nice touch that I didn't realize I would enjoy so much.
- The combat is overwhelming at first, almost too many things going on at once. But it grows on you and becomes much more fluid as you progress. I didn't think I'd like a FF game that wasn't turn based, but it really isn't that bad.

I'm still enjoying the game tremendously. It has it's issues with graphical glitches and tearing, but overall it's a beautiful environment. Lots to do if you actually take your time to do it (tons and tons of side quests). If you don't go in to the game thinking of it as a FF game, you'll enjoy it. Just don't expect it to be like any other FF game, because it really isn't. It's more like an offline, single player version of an MMORPG (right down to dungeons and buffs).

Back