• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Final Fantasy fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Looks like the next installment (FF XV) is due out in less than three weeks.
I'm not sure if I'm excited for it or afraid it will be a failure.
I'm not excited over the new battle system, but I'll survive using it (I never like the Kingdom Hearts battle system, but I've played all of them and liked the games).
I'm also not fond of the idea of downloadable content that alters the game play (like better weapons and upgrades that you have to pay for), but I'd survive without them either way.
What worries me most is the push to add online multiplayer. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see why everyone wants online multiplayer in a game like this? To me, part of what makes it such a good game is the compelling story which tends to get drowned out in an online multiplayer game (where the focus tends to be on leveling up instead of the story).

So, anyone else going to get this game when it comes out? Thoughts on the game, good or bad? I'm curious what others think of the game. I haven't heard much on it, as I've been out of the loop since FFXII (never played XIII or either of the online ones), so any insight on it good or bad would be nice!

I've played all the main line single player ones from VII to XIII, and I'm not rushing to get XV. In part, I don't have a system that runs it (yet) but may do some day. I'm even more out of the loop at the changes in it, and more worried about the ongoing talk about the VII remake. What kinda annoyed me with earlier games is I found the gameplay got in the way of the story. In particular, my finishing rate is bad as there's always a stupidly long battle at the end that I suck at, and don't want to grind for.

I have been distracted by FFXIV recently after getting introduced to it about a month ago. It is very generic as an MMO but the FF world is more interesting to me than, say, WoW. Not sure if it'll have long term staying power for me though.

Did you play all of the XIII games? The sequel and then sequel to the sequel kinda turned me off from trying it. I really liked VI, VII, VIII, XIV, X, and XII. X-2 wasn't quite as good, but I still played it through.

I own VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII
I've completed VIII 3 times, X 3-4 times (inclusive of HD remix), X-2 once, XII halfway, IX last disc and stopped. XIII like 5 hours in and tried again and couldn't. Not sure due to XIII or due to my lack of interest in an FF game at the time where I was more into MMORPG (Aion at the time) or BF3 back then online, etc.

I bought VII WAY after the others and never actually ended up playing it..
I have been playing world of final fantasy which I find cute/fun as a side game. Pokemon meets KH meets FF. Haha. Also a big KH fan. I actually love KH's system. 2 is a big jump over one in mobility, but I preferred ones story/intro. However, the story is all over the place now and I have/(not played) birth by sleep and most of the others. It's hard to keep up :\.

My FFXV is pre ordered with some deluxe edition set, I didn't get the bigger collectors one though.

I have very little interest in FFXV MP options. I play FF for offline, not online. Never played FFXI or FFXIV. Not interested.

I liked the demo for FFXV, and I like the battle system. I'm fairly adaptable to that, though.

I never bothered with the sequels within each number, since I never bothered to finish the 1st.

I'm the opposite of Mackerel, i played I-VII (also Tactics on GBA, damned good turn based strategy RPG), my favourite FFV, and from what i have seen so far not keen on playing any more including the online variants. I loved the 1st ones because they focused more on magic then tech, in VII+ it reversed the trend, all futuristic and tech with a hint of magic (although i think the movies are amazing) :(

I'm the opposite of Mackerel, i played I-VII (also Tactics on GBA, damned good turn based strategy RPG), my favourite FFV, and from what i have seen so far not keen on playing any more including the online variants. I loved the 1st ones because they focused more on magic then tech, in VII+ it reversed the trend, all futuristic and tech with a hint of magic (although i think the movies are amazing) :(

You should give some of the newer ones a try. IX and X were really good, great stories and great focus on the magic (It's been a difficult internal struggle to not buy X on PS4 again). VIII was hard to get in to for me, but it was still okay. X-2 felt like it was trying to be something it wasn't. XII was okay too, but again it lost a lot of the magic the original ones had. And that's what I'm afraid XV will be, so it's difficult for me to decide if I want to spend the $60 on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I liked the demo for FFXV, and I like the battle system. I'm fairly adaptable to that, though.

Was/is it a playable demo? I haven't had my PS4 online (ever), so I'm not real sure what is available for playable demos.

You should give some of the newer ones a try. IX and X were really good, great stories and great focus on the magic (It's been a difficult internal struggle to not buy X on PS4 again). VIII was hard to get in to for me, but it was still okay. X-2 felt like it was trying to be something it wasn't. XII was okay too, but again it lost a lot of the magic the original ones had. And that's what I'm afraid XV will be, so it's difficult for me to decide if I want to spend the $60 on it.

Steam has HD remakes of all the older FF titles, might try IX-X then. Really wanted to get my hands on Tactics on PC but think ill have to make do with the GBA version for now :(

Steam has HD remakes of all the older FF titles, might try IX-X then. Really wanted to get my hands on Tactics on PC but think ill have to make do with the GBA version for now :(

If you're a fan of the older ones, IX will be more enjoyable than X for you. X is still a great addition to the series with a good focus on the magic, but it also incorporates a lot of the more modern elements. Overall, I thought it was a great game though which is why I keep thinking of buying it for the PS4 (they worked out a lot of the PS3 quirks on the PS4 release).

- - - Updated - - -

Was/is it a playable demo? I haven't had my PS4 online (ever), so I'm not real sure what is available for playable demos.

If you bought Type 0 HD remaster for PS4 it came with a playable demo. A good few hours worth if you explore everything.
Be wary of the PS4 version I do remember something wrong with it.. I forget what, for the X HD remaster. But TBH if you have the PS3 version already it's not really worth it IMO? Especially if you've spent the time on it.

VIII is actually my favourite. With X coming close second. I loved the story of VIII and I very much enjoyed the junction system. Getting lionheart on disc 2 also helped.. XD. My PS3 is the version that can play PS2/1 games but disc 1 doesn't want to work for me.. I have a PS2 slim lying around though if I ever wanted to go back for any slightly incompatible games/discs.

Alright, the game released yesterday. Reviews are out (some people have already finished the game) and although it looks to me like it lost a lot of what made the final fantasy games special, pretty much all reviews are positive. Just about every review I saw said it has its issues but the good parts far outweigh the bad parts.
I don't think I will hold out any longer, might as well pick it up while it's still $48. Hopefully I'll get some free time in my busy schedule this weekend to log some play time!

Haven't looked at any reviews, did download the demo before release and wasn't sure. Now I got it, it does seem better although I'm having a bit of difficulty adapting to the new combat system. Still, not as bad as Witcher 3 in that respect. Overall first impressions: bromance road trip simulator is ok with me.

Lol, sounds about right!

I guess it secured me one of the deluxe edition units I guess. Can't see them available anymore. It's due today I think. I decided to grab the guide too just for kicks for post-game stuff mainly. That won't arrive til next week haha. Should not have pre ordered that... It's available in store now -.-

Argh so much to do/play... Pokemon Sun/moon I haven't touched properly yet, world of FF still to complete and now this is arriving.. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out though next weekend so ill be off work! Ill have time to game!!! Hahahahaha

You think that's bad ? i got so much overthinking on FFTactics Advance that i ended up buying a Game Boy Advance SP and the game on eBay just to play it properly :rofl: i have issues...

IMG_2592.JPG

I was a Zelda fan 4 life until Nintendo took a dump on that series after Windwaker... I'm currently slogging through FFVII. It's very different from what I'm used to.

I was a Zelda fan 4 life until Nintendo took a dump on that series after Windwaker... I'm currently slogging through FFVII. It's very different from what I'm used to.

VII, to me, had a lot of great elements - decent story, characters you care about, not too linear, etc. IX gets back to its roots more, if you like the older ones I suggest that after VII. X was also really good, and because I'm a fan of all FF games I played through X-2 and XII as well but couldn't get in to them as much.
XV arrives tomorrow for me, can't wait!

Also, the next Zelda looks like it could bring the series back. I have my fingers crossed, I've been a Zelda fan since the first one (I've played the first three games through more times than I'd like to admit)

Also, the next Zelda looks like it could bring the series back. I have my fingers crossed, I've been a Zelda fan since the first one (I've played the first three games through more times than I'd like to admit)

If they ever finish it. :) All joking aside I appreciate that Nintendo takes their time instead of releasing a half-assed buggy game like we see happen so much on other platforms, especially Steam.

Well, USPS took every minute of that 8pm delivery deadline. By that time, I didn't have any more time to play. With a 5:30am rise time Sunday and my entire day devoted to our Toys for Tots event (any Chicago locals probably saw us either in person or on the news, we had some huge donations), FFXV is still sitting on my table sealed. Fingers crossed for some free time tonight, I'm looking forward to it after all the good reviews!

Back