• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I am looking to buy a new laptop to replace my aging HP 8730W.

Requirements,

16:10 display with a minimum of 1920*1200 resolution
relatively powerful GPU
17" display
full size keyboard

preferences

Compatible with windows 7

Budget ~$1200

do you have a brand preference? i think notebookreview or some similar website has a search function with filters to narrow down just the notebook you may be interested in.

You're going to have a really hard time finding a laptop with 1920x1200 for the screen res and the rest of your specifications for the price. That's a pretty specialized resolution to ask for on a laptop.

There really isn't that much of a difference if you were to sacrifice 120 pixel difference and settle for 1920x1080 - this would also greatly open up your options for buying.

Is there a reason you want 16:10 ratio? Nearly 99% of anything in a $1200 price range is going to be 16:9 @ 1080p...

Glad I'm not seeing that yet with the HP's I buy at work... still formatting most Win 10 machines back to Win 7 - they actually have better support with the drivers on 7 then 10.

Then again these are HP ProBooks and ZBooks and not high end gaming laptops.

Its true that business grade machines have better driver backwards compatibility.

As for the 16:10 resolution its just my preference. I do game on my laptop occasionally but I primarily use it for business. As a computer programmer that extra 120 pixels means I can see deeper into my code which I like.

Thanks for the help. I am not sure if I am going to go forward with an upgrade as I have had to spend a good chunk of my savings on a few unexpected expenses recently.

I am currently returning - or attempting to return - my brand new Asus. Not allowing Win 7 is absolute trash. It's like selling a car then telling them oh you can't drive it on the roads you want to drive it on, only our chosen roads :)

Will get an HP when the money is returned... thanks to this thread :)

Regards,

DB

So I am looking to buy a new laptop to replace my aging HP 8730W.

Requirements,

16:10 display with a minimum of 1920*1200 resolution
relatively powerful GPU
17" display
full size keyboard

preferences

Compatible with windows 7

Budget ~$1200

OPEN BOX! Check BB online and in store. Got my last one that way.

I have entirely given up on Windows laptops. I honestly wish there were a more universal operating system for Pc's too. Or at least more freedom I should say. I love desktop Pc's, I have a huge passion for building them and gaming on them and it requires Windows to do so. But I picked up a late 13 Macbook Pro Retina with a 13 inch screen a quad core i7 16gb of ram and a 500gb ssd and I will never ever go back to a Windows laptop. I love how small and lite and the overall convenience of it and it pairs wonderfully with my iphone and ya idk. As far as mobile goes I like Macbook and will probably never again own a Windows laptop.

I have entirely given up on Windows laptops. I honestly wish there were a more universal operating system for Pc's too. Or at least more freedom I should say. I love desktop Pc's, I have a huge passion for building them and gaming on them and it requires Windows to do so. But I picked up a late 13 Macbook Pro Retina with a 13 inch screen a quad core i7 16gb of ram and a 500gb ssd and I will never ever go back to a Windows laptop. I love how small and lite and the overall convenience of it and it pairs wonderfully with my iphone and ya idk. As far as mobile goes I like Macbook and will probably never again own a Windows laptop.

Microshaft is not the issue! The issue is people not making software compatible with other operating systems.

Right but Microsoft refuses to provide support for their own software for newer hardware. Newer laptops not supporting Windows 7 is a Microsoft issue. And they will be discontinuing support on Skylake chips this summer as well for older windows. That's all I was saying. I've found my Macbook to be the most reliable, convenient notebook I've ever owned. I'm not trying to hi-jack the mans thread here so I'll see myself out.

Back