• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can we discuss "other" fittings for a moment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

So, I keep seeing these overpriced "computer" based fittings that... well I just dont wanna pay 10$ for a fitting.

Is there a reason no one uses high end fittings from the major companies? Talking parker, swagelok, tylok, SMC here. I can order SMC one touch compression fittings for like, 2$ each. Can even use hard tubing for it if I wanted to.

May not be as "cool" as a monsoon fitting, but I wouldnt call either of these "ugly". The one on the left would cost me 1.30$, the one on the right would cost me 2$. (these are just ones I had in my pocket, not even the right size fwiw).

fittings.jpg

Sure the compatibility will be there if its the right threading but will it flushed to create a seal with the o-rings or designed to be aesthetically pleasing with said blocks? Obviously not but that is up to you other wise your loop will look no different than the "ghetto" looking loops 5-10+ years ago in the past. Why spent top dollars on good blocks and go cheap on the rest? Makes no sense to me personally but that is all up to you.

Have you looked at barbs since they are the cheapest route for the H20 community other then compression fittings from reputed PC companies?

I dont want to be rude or contrary for no reason, but these are not "ghetto" fittings you pick up at walmart or autozone. They are objectively superior in almost every way, with the exception of perhaps aesthetics.

Money isn't a concern. Durability, leak tightness, flowrates and longevity are.

Edit: barb fittings are an absolute no go.

Ghetto is in the mind of the beholder :)....

While those are 'professional' fittings, they are not really made aesthetically for this application. I would also have concerns for proper length and sealing for the barbs. If that can be overcome, I suppose it's just the look of it really. It would be very unique to a loop with these items. I am intrigued at how this would look in the end... but it isn't something I wouldn't do as I don't like the look of those compared to purpose made for pc barbs and fittings. Looks like a plumber tried their hand at watercoing and they should be behind drywall, not on a block. :)

Wow, nice block .......... :)

Unfortunately these types of fittings seal using the thread itself.

you will ruin that block using such a fitting as it is specifically for 1/4g and is to seal with an O-ring

the A typically pipe thread will want to run into deep to seal is the problem here

belly up to the bar and buy the appropriate fittings bro , not kidding the poly block will not hold up to those

I dont want to be rude or contrary for no reason, but these are not "ghetto" fittings you pick up at walmart or autozone. They are objectively superior in almost every way, with the exception of perhaps aesthetics.

Money isn't a concern. Durability, leak tightness, flowrates and longevity are.

Oh I wasn't talking about the fittings themselves. I'm sure those type of fittings are top notch but to their respective sector. I was referring to rigs with different plumber looking fittings and duck tape, etc. :p

Anyways, if funds aren't a issue and you want longevity and flowrates, you could have asked about Bitspower.

Again, its up to you. You do run the risk of not having a completed seal with those type of fittings.

This is what the founders of watercooling used. I don't see why not! The threads are different so that's an issue. You could easily re-tap any soft plastic part and you can buy hose to fit those. The fitting to the bottom in the pic is strong and we use them at work in all sorts and shapes for tubing, up to 100 PSI air and 70 psi water. Blowouts do happen 15-20 years after the initial install.

McMaster Carr and other places have every size and shape you need. Prices are somewhat less also. They do have BSPP sizes with o-rings if your interested.

You can't get the awesome Bitspower 90 deg rotaries though of the smoother 90's they have, since they are made for much lower pressures that we use in watercooling.

BSPP is the way to go here, that's what G1/4" is. Keeps you from having to re-tap.

Well you guys know Im gonna do it now just to spite you guys, right?

Lol, I'll take a picture tonight, should help make a little more sense of things. And Yes, I have access to G1/4 fittings.

@Witchdoctor -> "ruining" the block? Worse comes to worst, I just tap out the new fittings to fit. Value wise, yeah sure, but Im not gonna sell it any time soon lol

Robert,

problem is the depth they have to go into seal being the threads are the sealing agent with that type of fitting

I am a plumbing / HVAC guy by trade

They will hit the disbursement plate, this won't work out out bro

the EK fitting are 8 bucks a piece

I have so 3/8" OD compression adapters that sport the proper thread I could send you for shipping cost

Edit:

PM IT Angel,

he has some fittings that go with the groovy rubber tubing, he probably will part with for a good price

Last edited:
Edit: barb fittings are an absolute no go.

Why? For many years we used plain old barbs with worm clamps in our computers? Only since w/c became more mainstream did barbs fall out of favor. Plus when using colored tubing the barb can't be seen anyways so aesthetics aren't even a problem. In fact up until my current build I still used barbs.

Hey! Finally! Someone else using your average pipe fittings!!! :thup:

I currently use 1/4" to 3/8" tapered barbs but I have used 1/4" to 3/8" compression (tapered threads) in the past with... some fittings leaking from the compression part.

Use a THICK PTFE tape. Not the cheap thin white tape you can get for $0.77. That stuff is garbage. For the poly blocks, be gentle with the threads and how tight you get it. They are delicate but they hold up just fine. :)

I can't justify spending a fair chunk of change on "special" fittings that rely on a single O ring to seal. I don't even like they way they look. The brass fittings look real nice in my loop.
My bitspower reservoir leaked more than my tapered barbs did!! That O ring won't seal unless i smother it in grease before assembling.

FWIW, NPT non tapered 1/4" threads in perfectly into G/4", you'd just need a bit more PTFE tape to prevent leaks.

The beauty of using standard fittings of course is the flexibility to use any sort of fitting or valve too if ya want to get fancy. I added in a simple ball valve to help drain the loop when comes time to flush.

facepalm.jpg

guys.... these are not "pipe fittings", these are not "barb fittings", these are no "NPT standard 1/4 with extra teflon". I can order any size, shape, type, diameter, heck I can even choose material. They are also precision manufactured parts with tolerances you wouldn't believe; not some mass produced part made in china.

Anyway, here are pics

I find them quite attractive... this is a 904L stainless steel one-touch fitting, that I can use with any 10mm tubing.
fittings2.jpg

serendipidously, they sit exactly flush to the base of the block. Theres no interference with anything.
fitment.jpg

And finally... these aren't NPT fittings. These are BSPP 1/4" with 10mm fittings on the top. Theres no thread damage, no drilling-tapping required. The block can still use any conventional "water cooling loop" fitting.
threads.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Spite? I'm not sure anyone wants to see you fail or not do it?? Make is hot and post pics!

I was just goofing around with that comment lol. I'm more confused why these types of fittings haven't really been looked at is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? For many years we used plain old barbs with worm clamps in our computers? Only since w/c became more mainstream did barbs fall out of favor. Plus when using colored tubing the barb can't be seen anyways so aesthetics aren't even a problem. In fact up until my current build I still used barbs.

I find worm clamps aesthetically ugly, and more a product of brute force than clever design. Will they work? Sure. Will it look good? Eh... Also, the likely hood of screwing up a worm clamp is FAR higher than messing up a one-touch fitting.

1/4" NPT pipe interchanges with the G1/4 standard water cooling threading the only securing issue is what you use to seal the threads if you use Teflon tape start the tape on the threads back from the end almost an eight of an inch so the inside doesn't have a piece of the tape get into the system.

Otherwise use what you want to, you don't need any ones permission or approval to do so!

My bad. Sorry for misinterpreting.

In your first pic, the top fittings look remarkably similar to the "pipe compression fitting" I previously used, so I assumed you were talking about the standard fittings you could get at Lowes and such.....
Regardless of which, these other gittings will work with our watercooling gear and yes, 9/10 they do look more aesthetically pleasing. :)

I say go for it! It'll make your loop more unique!!

the "real" question I have is to delid or not...
if you aren't voltage limited, your call. If you are, most wouldnt.

As far as why people haven't used it... the look. Also the fact that there are ready made parts for the specific task at hand which aren't much more expensive (regular barbs)... at least, that's my guess. :)

pumptest.jpg

So far so good.... 2 hours in, not a drop. I'll wait 24 hours, but I feel its pretty good.

Back