• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Quad temporary OC (Veterans Needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i had this running, had it running up to 3.35(wasnt super stable) just didnt wanna give it more voltage due to temperature on a crappy heatsink, its mid 60s at 3.2 on auto, ive had it crash a few times but i think thats the ram.

im just trying to convince him to switch atm

It'll all depend on the CPU and your cooling. Could be 3.6 but not all are created equal plus 4x2GB puts some strain on the NB so it'll depend on that as well.

the cooling is a coolermaster 212 evo, once i switch heatsinks, also IF cause of the VRM cooling

Last edited:
So ive got new ram, ive been able to get it to boot as high as ~1000 by upping the voltage, so that shouldnt be a bottleneck anymore, the only issue now is CPU and VRM cooling. ill do stability testing later on the ram

So ive got new ram, ive been able to get it to boot as high as ~1000 by upping the voltage, so that shouldnt be a bottleneck anymore, the only issue now is CPU and VRM cooling. ill do stability testing later on the ram

So you got 500 on the RAM, good! Now can you try 500 for the FSB, if you haven't?

What do you guys deem unsafe for CPU voltage without the heatsinks on the VRMs
and yea i guess ill tone down the CPU clock and check my FSB next, atm im just running prime 95 to test the ram for a half hour to consider it "good enough for now"

So my motherboards being weird, sometimes CPU voltage is listed as 0.XXX and the XXX isnt the 1.XXX voltage so like 0.500 is accually 1.350, and i cant seem to OC past 400 FSB when this happens, it only happens when the OC switch is set to 400 but at 333 i couldnt get past 400fsb either

Last edited:
You're right your motherboard is acting up cause you're working it harder than it was ever intended to work.

What do you guys deem unsafe for CPU voltage without the heatsinks on the VRMs
and yea i guess ill tone down the CPU clock and check my FSB next, atm im just running prime 95 to test the ram for a half hour to consider it "good enough for now"
Refer to that guide I linked in the second post. :)

In case you’re wondering what Intel recommends for your processor, find your chip on Intel's Processor Finder. The Q6600 is between 0.85 – 1.5V.

Last edited:
i ment for my VRMs moreso then my CPU, i just find it weird because ive been able to run my CPU at 3.35, but now it seems to be brick walled. it also goes to 0.XXX when i adjust the FSB switch to 400, which considering its a physical switch on the board, i feel that its not pushing my board past what its supposed to be. resetting CMOS fixes the issue

You aren't touching VRM voltage.

As far as what is safe for that poor little board... well, I wouldn't try to push past what you have without at least pointing a fan at the VRMs.

That switch is likely intended for CPUs that have a stock FSB of 400.

Every user desires more performance. MSI has special Easy OC Switches to provide that accessibility to all users. This great technology makes it easier to tweak the core clock settings. There's no need to have a detailed understanding; with just a few simple steps, everyone is able to get the most out of their motherboards. With a single click, the whole system will increase by 5%-20% performance, making overclocking a very easy thing to do.

i wouldnt say its for CPUs with a stock 400, i reset CMOS and im able to get past 400fsb again

I looked it up and you're right. IF I were to use that switch I would first clear the CMOS then put it in the 400 position all with the power off. You wouldn't want anything set in BIOS before you change that.

if you cant get past a certain FSB, is that a CPU or motherboard issue typically?

CPU-Z is showing a voltage of 1.208-1.216 stable running prime95. however its as high as 1.256 when not running prime95.i bumped my my CPU voltage before to get higher speeds but i think it was basicly all my ram and FSB that caused instabilities. my ram always would and my FSB would if it went above about 410

Last edited:
Depends... have you seen what your max FSB is yet? You need to lower the core speeds to stock or lower, memory 1:1 and push on the FSB (in that guide we linked earlier, FYI).

i lowered the CPU multiplier, didnt help much past 410FSB. ive gotten the ram to 1003 (1:1.25) but its still unstable past 4:10 fsb. the CPU runs at 3.25 at 1.25. ive raised it as high as 1.35 since thats when it starts hitting 70c. the FSB seems to be the issue and raising its voltage helps but it dosnt seem to make it very stable. hence why im wondering if its more board or CPU related to be limited by FSB. my board also lacks a south bridge voltage far as i can tell

i can run at 407 with a FSB voltage of like 1.3

Last edited:
Board related typically.

But to isolate the fsb, you need to lower the multi on the cpu and make sure the memory is running at is slowest.

i did, lowered the CPU multiplier, made the ram run at 1:1 so both were well below what was stable on a lower FSB. so i guess ive hit a wall unless i start bugging my dad for that board

Sounds like that's the limit for the board then. How far did you drop the multi? When testing FSB I drop it as low as the board will let me typically so x6 I think is usually the lowest

Back