• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Elite Dangerous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The other nice thing about it is that the base is dense...making the whole joystick have a very low center of gravity. Said differently, it doesn't move on my desk! :thup:

Man work is killing me right now with how slow the time is going thinking about playing this weekend! I was looking at the Horizons season pass and they have added a lot since the last time I played. It felt kind of barren when I was playing it last spring ~4 months after its release.

Is the other content worth getting? I see the commander pack is meh and only applies to the early on ships and I can't say I am sold on any of the other ones either.

To the best of my knowledge, the other things are just eye candy you can add to the game.

For instance, I bought the paint pack to have my Python be a cool looking blue.

I also have 2 bobble heads on my dash...the pilot and a seasonal Christmas tree. They are pretty cool...they bobble in response to how the G's are being pulled on your ship. If you boost forward...the tops come towards you, and then start bobbling as the boost starts to wear off.

Haven't read that in depth, but certainly rare trading is a nice earner when starting out and you don't have much cargo capacity yet. There's a good cluster around Lave, and if you can find another one a suitable distance away you can do it both ways.

That's the idea.

Rare trading is profitable and a good way to get your credit balance up to get into a bigger ship for trading.

However, you have to remember the basic principle of Elite Dangerous. Even playing in solo mode, you are affected by the actions of the other players in regards to the galaxy economy, faction war, etc. For example, if a given station has a very high demand and a lot of players start selling there, the price will go down quickly.

I've never seen a quantity of 50 rares for sale. The highest is about 30 or so...typically 5 to 10.

That small loop is a good way to get started. When you get a bigger ship, this one is the 5-loop leg I was talking about:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/101211-71-Stop-Rare-Trade-Route-*UPDATED*

For my own use, I added extra stops to fill my cargo hold with non-rare trading between stops (or at gas station stops) to net 50K to 150K per stop in addition to the rares.

To run the 71 stop loop, you need cargo capacity of at least 100 tons. 150+ is ideal.

Oh yeah - if you can make it to the Diaguandri system (I like Ray Gateway)...or any system exploited by Li Yong-Rui...you get 15% off ship and module purchases.

The 15% also saves you on the insurance cost (never have less than the insurance rebuy amount in your bank...the maximum insurance loan you can take out is about a million credits...after that you have to start all over again in the sidewinder.)

I bought the Horizons pass and started in solo mode last night - to say the least it did not go well haha.

I did actually complete a trade, but on my first run for whatever reason my sidewinder overheated and blew up. I have no idea what I hit or did to overheat my ship.

So I'm back down to 2 cargo spaces vs the 4 that ship had. I think I'm going to try to do some bounty hunting and see how that works out - It will probably be better for me to get some credits that way so I can buy a larger cargo.

Just seems everything I do does not yield very many credits early on and I don't know if it is just a lack of patience on my end or what - it just seems like it takes an incredible amount of time to do anything that yields enough currency to buy something progression worthy.

Overheating while nothing else is around could be silent running mode. Find out what key that's set to so you can undo it quickly in case you set it by accident.

Yep makes sense - thanks! Silent running was delete and landing gear was insert so I must have hit it on accident.

Check out the mission boards in your current station...you can make decent cash just for being a data courier.

I don't have enough rep to do any of the mission boards. Guess that means I just need to trade some stuff first.

Yes I did. Also upgraded to burst lasers, upgraded my shields, and power gen. Going to take a break and go back out there later tonight.

Do burst lasers just fire on target until it's dead? Is that how they are designed?

I have been just doing straight bounty hunting and fighting from ship to ship pretty consistently so from the initial google searches I couldn't' find any definitive info.

I also can't seem to get my Kill Warrart scanner working either - I assigned it to fire group 2, but pressing Fire 2 on the joystick feels like it's doing nothing. I am also within range for sure of my target.

Burst lasers go pew-pew-pew, and pulse lasers go pew, pew, pew...

Burst lasers fire 3 shots per trigger pull, pulse lasers are 1 shot per pull. The only way they would continuously fire is if you have turrets (versus gimble or fixed).

For the kill-warrant scanner, you have to be in range and hold the trigger with the target in your sites for the complete scan (5 seconds I think). There will be a little blue bar on your HUD for the fire group that fills up and says "complete", and there will also be a "V" that completely closes when you finish the scan.

An easy way to get a lot of credits early on is to go to a high conflict zone of whatever system you're in and looking for the wanted people the cops are attacking.

Then blow them up to steal the cops kills, you will get a bounty voucher. After so many vouchers - around 100k in vouchers is a good time - go turn them in and get the cash since if you die before turning them in you will lose them.

Just be careful to aim your shots and not accidentally hit a cop because they will turn on you with the quickness.

Back