• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If I DONT use a NAS device, how much router should I consider?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

been using a low end linksys router for quite some time now.

It works, signal is "fine", but it does drop from time to time. This minor problem can become a real nuisance some days.
Im expecting some good deals in the next week or two, so what should I keep an eye out for? I am aware of the ridiculous high end models, and honestly, if it has more than 3 antennae, I probably dont need it.

Connected are: 3 phones, 2 tvs, roku, 3 pcs, 1 laptop, 1 tablet, and a streaming music player thing.

thanks.

edit: assuming I should be looking at ac1900 class routers? I cant think of a reason to go higher, is there?

Last edited:
I take it you have your own modem? If so what kind? How many DL and UL channels does it have? Considering you have, by my count, at least 8 wireless devices, you will want a fairly decent modem to make sure you are getting your full bandwidth, as well as a router than can handle those devices and their needs.

Outsode of that, I'm not much detailed help. I just bought an Arris Surfboard SB6190 modem, and a pretty high end ASUS router (RT-AC87U) for my house as my devices were dropping and buffering with the included equipmemt. I have 2 TVs, a Chromecast, 2 smart phones, ipod touch, a tablet, 1 pc, and 2 laptops (all wireless) that can be connected on my network. I split some things up via 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands as well.

The modem I have is likely overkill for you.. depends on your speeds. I bought in preparation for GB or 600Mbps down that is supposedly heading I to my area soon. I currently run 50/6.

Last edited:
Not to derail the post, but would you consider the modem to be more important than the router for sustainable speeds?
I'm kinda in the same boat as Bob, I have my own modem (CM400 I think) and an aged Trendnet gigabit router with 35/6 service.
Half my stuff is wired, half wireless.
- Wired: 2 PC's, PS3, PS4, Receiver, Hue Hub
- Wireless: 1 laptop, 1 ipad, 2 tv's, 2 phones, several Nest items

I've noticed a slow down when more than one PC is on the internet (example, if my PC is running a game and the HTPC is watching Netflix); and most wireless items are connected when we're home. And I rarely get d/l speeds above 5mbps from anywhere. It seems like as soon as anything approaches that speed, my whole system starts bogging.

Bob - What speeds are you getting from your cable company? And what modem to you have? I have been looking at the AC1900 routers as well, but after considering ED's post I might start to look at a different modem too. It looks like there's several AC1900 options under $100.

So, reading on modems, it seems that the difference between 8x4 and 16x4 won't be noticeable with sub-300mb service? If that's true, any 8x4 modem is fine and the next step is obviously the router?
It looks like all the 1900ac routers are performing within 10% of each other, and that's only if your wireless products support the AC wifi.
(This is all just from reading online, so if any of it's wrong feel free to point it out!)

if the current router is working fine and its just the wireless that you are having issues with, might look into just a cheap access point to handle the wireless ive found routers with built in wireless seem to always end up needing rebooted often to keep working correctly or the wireless ends up just dying on them. i think i paid $14 for my tp link wireless N access point and its been rock solid for quite a while. i even get signal on it a block away at the park.

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

currently, the best internet in my area is my 65mbps (well, Im not spending 300$ a month on 100mbps...).

the modem im using is a cisco dpc3008. Ive honestly never even considered changing that. Obviously, I dont need a gigabit modem, but reliability would be a good upgrade lol.

Check and see if your provider is 8x4 or 16x8. ;)

Hey,

DOCSIS 3.0 8 channel internet is what charter provides to my area. That said, my modem is already a docsis 3.0 8 channel modem, I dont see any particular reason to upgrade that at this time. I assume (?) that if it was 16 channel internet and I was using an 8 channel modem, I would be creating a bottle neck, correct?

As long as your modem is DOCSIS 3.0 (mine wasn't, it was OLD) and you're getting the advertised speeds that you're paying for, there isn't much reason to upgrade your modem. Getting a router with QOS prioritization might help if you've got a lot devices accessing the Internet simultaneously.

1 word -> "Woah".

5ghz network has no issues what-so-ever. I can't believe the difference in latency and quality of the connection. Its like going from a HDD to an SSD, thats the only comparison I can make. My files sync instantly, I never even gave it thought before. To those of you that are rocking cheap routers, do yourself a favor and step up your game a little bit. Well worth it.

Back