• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI GTX 1070 Quick Silver 8G Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today we get a chance to look at one of MSI's newest cards in their Pascal lineup in the GTX 1070 Quick Silver 8G video card. This GPU isn't different at all under the hood when comparing it to the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G we reviewed as far as the upgraded PCB, power phases, and Twin Frozr VI cooler. It's more of an aesthetic change and to add another option to their Gaming lineup that isn't in their established red and black color scheme. The Quick Silver version, as you may have guessed, comes in with a black and silver look which matches their latest MPower and XPower Titanium boards really well. Being it is silver and has LEDs, it can fit in with a lot more themes than the regular Gaming X would. We know the looks are different, so let's get to looking at what else is may be different and see how it passed our testing!

Click here to view the article.

Great review, Earthdog!

I have questions regarding one of the three built in modes (Gaming – Default, OC Mode, and Silent). Is heavy gaming NOT recommended in Silent mode? Just curious about this mode and what it is best used for.

Also, if you set the GPU in Silent mode, does it stay in this mode and run at those set clock speeds, even during heavy gaming sessions? Or will it adjust itself into the Gaming mode (default), or the OC mode, if needed?

Thanks in advance, man!

You can game in any mode just fine! Silent mode has slightly lower clocks and a different fan curve I believe.

It will not automatically switch modes. Performance difference between modes is a couple % at most.

Hope that helps!

to me the biggest benefit of the msi gpu's is that even when the fan is at full blast it is still rather quiet. and they are nice looking pieces

Aw MAN! I would've gotten this card if I knew about it. I prefer that look much more over my red/black one.

Does the MSI Gaming app have to run in the background to keep the OC setting? Can you update the Bios so the OC profile is default?

You can set it, close the app, and the OC clocks will hold.

Do you mean is there an OC bios on the website to flash?

You can set it, close the app, and the OC clocks will hold.
What if you uninstall the application will the OC hold in Bios?

Do you mean is there an OC bios on the website to flash?
Yes was wondering if they have a OC Bios as default?

Software applications like the gaming app, msi ab, or things of the like, do not make changes to the bios. So, if you uninstall the app, after your reboot, the clocks will go away. But again, will stay set in the same session. You can have msi ab load wth windows and set clocks.

After looking the webpage for the card, there is a OC bios there.
//www.msi.com/Graphics-card/support/GeForce-GTX-1070-Quick-Silver-8G-OC.html#down-bios

Last edited:
Just a heads up, that BIOS is for the cards with Micron memory that were having issues with poor overclocks and even stock clocks. If your card is performing as it should you probably don't need it.

That's a good point... I thought because it had OC in the bios name, forgetting the card was named OC, it was the OC bios... I haven't installed it to be sure. That said, my micron memory overclocked very well with whatever bios came with it.... :)

Last edited:
Mine has Micron as well and so far I've had no issues, but I tend to leave the memory alone anyway. I have horrible luck overclocking VRAM.

Back