• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4G Overclocking Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My question is what does Power Limit actually do?? The RX480 has default TDP of 150w, so does +25 Power Limit raise it to 175w?? Is 0 Power Limit = 150w ??
I don't know any numbers, but the card allows itself to draw a certain amount of power. Which is likely below the TDP of 150 W (as far as you can trust the power readings from afterburner).

If you raise that limit the card actually can draw more power. If you are gaming or running a benchmark and the card would actually need more power that the 0% limit it will throttle. Increasing the limit will avoid that throttling. This does not mean that the card will automatically draw more power, but, if needed it can. And only in full load applications. You eliminate a wall there.

And does raising Power Limit alone (not Voltage) raise Temperature too???
Most likely, yes. But again, only when at peak performance.

Bottom line: The card may throttle when hitting either the power limit or the temperature limit (temperature target). Increasing both does give you more headroom and thus better performance. Note: On my RX480 setting the temperature target to 75 °C results in temperatures about 75 °C (76 maybe 77 are possible). If I set the target to 80 °C I also see no temperatures above 77 °C. So this does not mean that setting the target to 80 °C that the card will actually hit that temp but it leaves more headroom.

What you can try to see for yourself:

Run a benchmark with default temp target and default power limit.

Run a benchmark with temp target +5 °C (Only if the resulting is within the specs / your comfort zone! Monitor temps while benchmarking!) and +50 % power limit.

Log power draw, temps, clock speeds and compare the logged data and results of the benchmarks afterwards. You should see a slight increase in FPS without a too notable increase in power draw / temp, except for the peaks.

That is my understanding so far, maybe someone else has more detailed input.

Raising the power limit makes more voltage available if the GPU calls for it. I suppose if the BIOS or software raised voltage within that limit it could affect temps. The only way to find out if your card would do that is give it a try.

Thanks idkfa and Alaric for your replies. Raising power limit does raise the temp. Temp raised by 5c playing witcher. From 72c (+0@1300/7000) to 77c (+25@1350/7300).

The power monitor graph in afterburner shows max 100w if I set +0 power limit and 125w if +25 power limit. So its good to know that the card runs fully stable at just 125w with 1350/7300. Leaves a good margin for overclocking in future.

"As it turns out, my MSI Gaming X 4GB has Samsung memory on it" - I remember seeing posts after RX 480 was just released that some 8GB models were flashed and sold as 4GB (presumably due to shortage of 4GB models). Could you be the lucky one who got 8GB samsung model flashed as 4GB?

"As it turns out, my MSI Gaming X 4GB has Samsung memory on it" - I remember seeing posts after RX 480 was just released that some 8GB models were flashed and sold as 4GB (presumably due to shortage of 4GB models). Could you be the lucky one who got 8GB samsung model flashed as 4GB?

Is there any way to find out? I'm afraid of flashing in a new bios and not be able to revert if anything bad happens.

After hitting 'Submit', I'm definitely going to look into it. I'll post results if I have any.

Edit: I downloaded a 4Gb and 8GB roms from techpowerup.com and flashed in the 8GB version, after backupping mine. The display became corrupted like the same memory address range was being used more than once (horizontal bands were repeating), and Windows wouldn't finish loading. Luckily, 7 years ago I spent a little 10$ extra on my motherboard to get onboard VGA that I never used until now. So I was able to revert to my old bios.

I'm not giving up yet, but it's not promising.

Edit2: Tried 4 different roms, all three I found on techpowerup and another I found on some bitcoin mining site. All four yields the same result. I could physically check the memory chips on the card but I'm not yet ready to open it. Also, the only thing I read about a 4GB being a 8GB was for reference cards, not Gaming X cards.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Last edited:
Back