• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8320 passes AIDA64, Fails Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kazlehoff

Registered
My Machine (in sig) can run AIDA64 Extreme all day long, but fails Prime95 within minutes. I'm running my FX-8320 at 4.5ghz (stock is 3.5). temps cap at 55c for the Socket (CPU in HWMonitor), 51c for the Processor (Package in HWMonitor) so i'm not reaching the temp cap yet by far. Voltage max is 1.416

should i be concerned? everything seems fine while gaming and general useage...

Prime isn't really that great of a test any more. It was more kinda "what was available" more than "what was practical. As scott alluded to, if youre passing aida and it never crashes on anything you do, its stable for your uses. I like running prime for an hour for temp stability more than practical cpu stability, as aida just doesnt hit the cooling solution in place hard enough. Intel burn test is another good temp tester as well, but just doesn't really last long enough.

to each, his own for what you call stable.
even the stability test in amd overdrive is fine, just let whatever you decide to test with run an hour or two and leave yourself 10 degrees or so headroom from max temp for 24/7 use.

TBH im happy with the speeds that stock provides, this is more just an experiment in "how hard can i push it?". im completely happy with a 28% overclock on a 3.5ghz chip. i may leave it at 4ghz since it seems to run perfectly fine there, and that brings me up level to the 8350 chip

Prime95 will drive the temps up considerably higher than will AIDA64 and that could be the reason for the failure. You did not comment on package temps. But AIDA64 is a better real world stress tester. With real world apps you will not see high temps like P95 produces unless you are using it as a folding machine or something similar.

On an absolutely stable system, Prime95 would run indefinitely. If an error occurs, at which point the stress test would terminate, this would indicate that the system may be unstable. There is an ongoing debate about terms "stable" and "Prime-stable", as Prime95 often fails before the system becomes unstable or crashes in any other application. This is because Prime95 is designed to subject the CPU to an incredibly intense workload, and to halt when it encounters even one minor error, whereas most normal applications do not stress the CPU anywhere near as much, and will continue to operate unless they encounter a fatal error. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95

I find that when you ignore Prime95, you will eventually get a Windows error! Usually a BSOD! Just a heads up!

I find that when you ignore Prime95, you will eventually get a Windows error! Usually a BSOD! Just a heads up!
That's crap.
My daily will not pass P95 yet has never given an error or BSOD in 5 years of the same OC. Original OS install too.

One of the things about a stress test I don't like is the CPU/RAM only combo. It's testing about 50% of PC system capability.

I usually go with the Prime95 and OCCT LinPack testing, then afterwards Heavy gaming for an extended period of time. If I can put down a good hard beating of stressing, benching and then gaming, Figure it's pretty good to go.

Some people (even myself) think a good way to test is F@H or Setti. Set that rig up for a good two week run CPU and GPU folding. If you can stabilize an OC for this venture, it'll be just fine for time to come.

Like Caddi said. "To each their own!".

It depends on how close you are to the edge of stability, really. I don't P95 for stability anymore. I also stick with AIDA64 and it's been good for how I use my pc (a couple hour gaming session a couple times /week, web, email, some light photo manipulation and video editing. Now, if I was to try and render something for 12 hours, who knows if it will work. Clearly, for how you use/setup YOUR PC, you need P95 level stability. Others, do not. Now, I certainly wouldn't call it crap (scotty...:mad:...be nice!), and you can see from posts earlier in the thread, and my experience, there is a lot of grey area in testing. :)

Edit: please only use F@H for stress testing after you are close to dialed in. You hurt the project by intentionally booking WUs... :)

I have passed AIDA64 and failed Prime95. My system doesn't need the stress of Prime95 to run efficiently and without errors and AIDA64 is plenty for me. I'm a light / medium user and I back off my overclocks for OEM temperature purposes, not for failing Prime 95. AIDA64 stresses my computer quite adequately and I don't need "cutting edge" high stress test programs to operate securely with both of my signature PC's.

Now, I certainly wouldn't call it crap (scotty...:mad:...be nice!), and you can see from posts earlier in the thread, and my experience, there is a lot of grey area in testing. :)
You misunderstand. What I called crap is " you will eventually get a Windows error! Usually a BSOD! " if you are not P95 stable. This is not fact, therefore it is crap. I do agree with you though that it depends on what you're doing with your system as to how stable you really are or need to be.

You misunderstand. What I called crap is " you will eventually get a Windows error! Usually a BSOD! " if you are not P95 stable. This is not fact, therefore it is crap.

I disagree... I found that folks ignoring Prime95 deserved getting a sudden BSOD or other Windows error when unexpected... While it's often not bad enough to require a reformat and reinstall.* (*unless it's RAM or bus instability)
Often, folks will get an error when gaming or doing heavy computation tasks...

5 years without issue tells me different. I game and do website assembly on this machine so..........

We can agree to disagree, I have no problem with that. ;)

You misunderstand. What I called crap is " you will eventually get a Windows error! Usually a BSOD! " if you are not P95 stable. This is not fact, therefore it is crap. I do agree with you though that it depends on what you're doing with your system as to how stable you really are or need to be.
I didn't misunderstamd. I didn't disagree with you...just your word choice. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree... I found that folks ignoring Prime95 deserved getting a sudden BSOD or other Windows error when unexpected... While it's often not bad enough to require a reformat and reinstall.* (*unless it's RAM or bus instability)
Often, folks will get an error when gaming or doing heavy computation tasks...
We Will Also Agree To disagree. It is not as cut and dry as you like to make it. I can pass aida64 stress test for a few hours and with how I use my pc (see my post again...) I don't have those issues. Some could certainly...but it's not a p95 or bust situation. :)

Wait, we "deserve" our systems borking because we dont test with p95? You wish ill will on others because we aren't using the program you are??!!!?? :(

Back