• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU installation advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert17

Premium Member
Set up a new unit: Intel 4590, 8Gb GSkill HyperX, Intel 730 240Gb, ASUS Z89-A. Work oriented but want to Fold spare cycles.I want to install my R9 290X into this box and so installed Ubuntu 15.04 which shows a supported driver in AMD's database. I'm working off the iGPU at the moment as installing the R9 results in no video throughput. No BIOS either. Quadruple checked power & connections, so not an issue.

Lead this newb by the hand. What is the solution?

PS, did fine with email setup & printer drivers

What connector are you using. I have run into issues where the only connection that works initially is the vga.

Nice hardware for nix. Been a while but I did not like having to boot into elevated cmd prompt just to install drivers. Good luck with that.

I agreed with you before you posted habbajabba. I looked up the longhand method and am still hoping to avoid going there.

Point of clarification, Ubuntu 15.04 or 16.04/B]? There is a big difference.

The 290x should run fine with the opensource drivers unless you have a reason for wanting AMD's crappy drivers. Their drivers are horrible in any OS, the installer just works better in Windows. Shame, I always wanted to cheer them on but their driver situation is a hot mess

Can you tell me how did you attempt install the drivers? Did you use the Ubuntu Additional Hardware thingy? I haven't used Ubuntu since 14.04 so I am not sure what they call it these days, but I know they (had?) a tool where you just selected the option and it installed. You rebooted and Bob's your uncle

Card won't display any video upon boot. No opportunity to peek at BIOS. The card is operational. I just swapped it from my sig rig.

Not hooked on AMD's drivers so I'm open to your thoughts. Just getting the card to display anything seems to be the challenge at the moment. 15.04 utilizing the iGPU runs well; have Logitech Unified receiver and printer drivers loaded and working. But otherwise would still be willing to re-format to a different OS if it would offer more in a day to day work environment. And yes, I've used the download Thingy. Software options are limited but the installer works as advertised.

Card won't display any video upon boot. No opportunity to peek at BIOS. The card is operational. I just swapped it from my sig rig.

Just to clarify, this sounds like you are saying when you power on the computer nothing is displayed on the screen from the time you hit the power button? Is this correct?

There are a number of things I can walk you through to get basic video working first (presumably) but being able to see the grub/os boot menu is step 1

Just to clarify, this sounds like you are saying when you power on the computer nothing is displayed on the screen from the time you hit the power button? Is this correct?

There are a number of things I can walk you through to get basic video working first (presumably) but being able to see the grub/os boot menu is step 1

That is what he is saying. Post info doesn't show. But he's not even into the OS yet so I don't think drivers are the issue. Sounds more like a motherboard firmware problem to me or incompatibility with the firmware or chipset.

I've run into this on occasion with certain video cards. Had an Nvidia 620 knock off a while back that would not display at all in any Pentium-based motherboard but worked fine in every AMD-based motherboard I had. It has DDR3 RAM. I think it was a VRAM incompatibility issue with the Intel chipsets.

Last edited:
Back