• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NecronDan2

Registered
Hey guys. Im finally back after a long time of frustration.
Now i have some spare money (about 1000€) to order a new build and i would like you to tell your opinions and suggestions.
So here it is:
Motherboard: MSI B150 PC-MATE
CPU: Intel I5 6600
RAM: 2x Corsair 8GB DDR4 2400 Vengeance
GPU: Nvidia MSI 1060 GTX
PSU: Chieftec CTG 750C
Built in a decent midi-tower with air-cooling. CPU-Cooler scythe or sth...
SSD for OS. OS going to be Windows 7
Also thought about changing the CPU to a 6600K and Motherboard to a Z170 Pro. Is it worth it?
Might also use a Chieftec APS 850CB if the 750C isn't enough.
Thank you for your help.

If you're never planning to overclock at all, the non-K CPU and B150 chipset are fine. If you want to overclock, you'll need the K CPU and the Z170 chipset.
750w PSU is more than fine, however I'm not familiar with the brand so I couldn't comment on the quality of Chieftec.
One thing to consider is finding DDR4 3000 Ram, 3000-3200 is considered the 'sweet spot' for the DDR4 ram.
Other than that, it looks like a solid build!

CM 212+/EVO (depending on the case) would be a better budget option for cooling regardless of you switching to K and is excellent for a light overclock if you do, a 550w/600w PSU should be more then enough for what you have there, and totally agreed with JeffG for the ram, 3000/3200 C14/C15 would be nice as Skylake likes fast memory.

Only K processors do not come with a heatsink. All the non-unlocked skylake CPUs include the stock Intel cooler, which is a piece of garbage.

OP- Chieftec is not a good PSU. Why don't you get an EVGA G2? They are reasonably priced for their quality. Or maybe a Seasonic SSR-G?

An unlocked processor would be better for future proofing as if you buy a 3.3Ghz CPU (for example) that is not unlocked, you're stuck with it (unless you want to mess with potentially dangerous BCLK overclocks) and it will be considered a "slow" cpu sooner than an unlocked CPU which you could push to 4.5Ghz or so and get more longevity out of it.

Also interesint is that aside from clockspeed and locked vs unlocked, and TDP in some cases, all i3/i5/i7 chips for the mainstream desktop (1151) platform are the same. So a locked i5 6500 is physically identical at the die level to an i5 6600K. It's just that the 6600K is unlocked and has higher stock clocks.

Also, I'm not familiar with Skylake chipsets at this point, but, there are always platform differences between H/B/Z motherboard variants in terms of connectivity and individual motherboards within one of those variants will have different feature sets. As with all things, you get what you pay for. There are also differences beyond just connectivity, for example, H110 only accepts up to 2133Mhz memory. Etc etc. You should look into this stuff and research before you buy a computer you may be stuck with for 5 years. :)

A suggestion:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
CPU: Intel I5 6600K
RAM: 2x Corsair 8GB DDR4 2400 Vengeance
GPU: Nvidia MSI 1060 GTX 6GB
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-G 550
CASE: Corsair 200R
COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: Seagate ST2000 2GB
RANDOM OPTICAL DRIVE: (optional but obsolete)
Windows 10 64 bit (home)

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers!
First: I'm only going to overclock if i need to... depending on games, dunno. So the K-CPU and the Z170 MB might be a good choise.
Honestly, i took the built from a local Computer-Shop and changed it a bit...
I didn't look for RAM-speed but the Vengeance-RAM is also available in a 3200 version ;)
Also i didn't know Chieftec to be a bad brand, SeaSonic seems to be a good alternative.
Somewhere at home i have an old, but still working case: its an AeroCool Strike-X. Is it usable? One of the walls has a grid so... what about airflow?
Maybe the 200R would be better.

But so far so good... seems my built is about to take its final form :D
Thanks again

I would purchase a Gigabyte Z170 HD3P easy to overclock for a novice. I have my i5 6600k with Gigabyte Z170 HD3 overclocked to 4.5GHz.

Also if you are going to play new games I would try and upgrade to GTX 1070.

Last edited:
Back