• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus sabertooth 990FX R2.0 dual channel ram help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Witcher69

Hi guys, I have Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and until recently I had 2x4gb kit crucial ballistix tactical tracer 1866mhz running in dual channel mode and I decided to add another 2x4gb kit of the same memory but sadly it is not available for purchase anymore in my country so I decided to transition memory to kingston by buying 2x4gb hyperx savage 1866mhz and put my crucial memory on sale and then after selling it I want to buy another 2x4gb hyperx savage 1866mhz kit.

So for now I have mixed ram kits installed and only crucial kit are in dual channel while for kingston says that they are in single channel no matter in which slots on the board I put them so my question is does this "issue" is caused by two different ram kits or the board only supports dual channel for one kit while the other kit must run in single channel?

This issue is likely caused by using Kingston RAM in an AMD chipset motherboard. It is no secret that Kingston RAM and AMD chipsets don't play well together.

This issue is likely caused by using Kingston RAM in an AMD chipset motherboard. It is no secret that Kingston RAM and AMD chipsets don't play well together.

Some time ago I borrowed kingston hyperx blue 2x4gb 1600mhz from my friend for some testing purpose and it was in dual channel mode with my crucial memory but at that time I downclocked crucial memory from 1866 to 1600 to match kingston memory kit so I do not think it is problem with kingston. Maybe problem is in latencies because they are different.

Yes, latencies. The Kingston default timings are geared to Intel chipsets but can be manually adjusted to work with AMD chipsets, or at least some people have been able to make it work by doing that. Still, Kingston RAM has not been stable for a lot of AMD users. I think that when you lowered your friend's Kingston to 1600 it worked because at that frequency the timings were more in line with what they should be for the lower frequency. Have you tried that this time?

Some time ago I borrowed kingston hyperx blue 2x4gb 1600mhz from my friend for some testing purpose and it was in dual channel mode with my crucial memory but at that time I downclocked crucial memory from 1866 to 1600 to match kingston memory kit so I do not think it is problem with kingston. Maybe problem is in latencies because they are different.

Default latency for my crucial 1866mhz are 9-9-9-27 while memory from my friend was 1600mhz but with a same latency so I lowered my memory from 1866mhz to match his 1600mhz right from the start when I install them while this new kit I buyed today is kingston hyperx savage 1866mhz but with latency 9-10-11-27 so when I installed those memory kit I did not change frequencies I only changed latency settings form previously configured 9-9-9-27 to auto because of mentioned differences in latency. 9-9-9-27 can be achieved with kingston by setting frequencies to 1600. I will try this to see what will happen.

I configured memory to run on 1600mhz with 9-9-9-27 latency but cpuz still sees kingston in single channel under spd tab while selecting individual memory slots while under memory tab it says dual. I also used hwinfo program and here it says that memory is in dual mode so now I am confused.

Here are some images for better understanding:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

Last edited:
Ranks and channels are not the same thing.
Your memory is running in dual channel.....all of it. It is not possible for part to be in dual and part to be in single at the same time.
Ranks refers to the sides of the sticks themselves. Single rank has IC's only on one side of the stick. Dual rank has IC's on both sides of the stick.

Soo thats what those single/dual ranks means. Thank you for the clarification.

I actually edited my post while you were posting. My explanation was oversimplified, so in order not to be spreading false information I linked you a more accurate description.
I didn't want to type it myself. Too lazy. :p

Witcher69, please crop the images before you attach them. When you attach a pic of the entire desktop, the parts we really need to see are shrunk down and harder to see. Snipping Tool in Windows accessories is really good for this.

Back