• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing pump on Asetek type waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmeatballs

Hello, so I have an out of warranty Kraken x61 (lost receipt, cant request RMA). I want to remove the pump and install a new pump with reservoir. This would be a temporary cooling solution for my GPU, I already have a Kraken G10 it is just that something had went wrong with the kraken(it was running at odd temps). I don't plan to keep this for long, I really plan on expanding my h240-x loop it is just that the parts I need are so hard to get. I can't even source a new kraken x61 LOL or any 280mm AIO. (I need a 280mm AIO since I have 4 NF-A14 IPPCs laying idle).

So I was thinking maybe I could grab a pump-res combo and use it on the kraken for the meantime, then when I get the parts I need I could just dump the kraken and continue whatever loop I want. I can source a g1/4 1/4" ID barb fitting anyway. What do you guys think?:D

Not sure if that would work because you still need a block combo pump that you had before. Now you're only saying to purchase a res/pump combo but that still will leave you with a naked GPU. I would look to see maybe if you can get your hands on a universal block and connect that to your H240-X. Put all settings to stock so no OCing. You should be ok but you'll just have higher temps in general as if you were on air but you should still be able to cool the CPU and GPU till you can get your loop back in order. Max up the fans and ramp up the pump a bit on the H240-X and you should be good for a temporary solution.

I still have the asetek block pump combo. Also have the Kraken G10 which allows me to mount the asetek waterblock onto the GPU. The G10 also has a fan mount for VRM cooling. I am asking if I could just remove the pump from the block (just need to remove 3 screws).

I am having a hard time looking for universal GPU blocks locally, if I order online ex. a 15$ block would get a 60$ shipping fee LOL.

Thanks for responding btw :)

Last edited:
Ah. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just woke up. lol

If you somehow can add the asetek block to the H240-X temporarily, you can. Just ramp up the H240 pump substantially. Look around for AIO mods. I've seen them add fittings of some sort to them and just add them to pre-existing loops.

lol its alright man! :D

hmmm, adding the aluminum rad of the kraken might be a problem if I combine it to the h240-x lol.

Here is the pump. It looks easy to remove. If I remove this and add a pump/res combo to it's loop would it work?
IMG_1227.JPG

Last edited:
lol its alright man! :D

hmmm, adding the aluminum rad of the kraken might be a problem if I combine it to the h240-x lol.

Oh no. Completely stripping down the AIO only to the block/pump portion.

Have a look here at the steps this person took.

Sorry, I am getting confused. Anyway, so I add the kraken's waterblock/pump to the h240-x loop but wouldn't it cause flow problems? (I take it that I also have to power the pump on the kraken since I won't be removing it.)

Sorry, I am getting confused. Anyway, so I add the kraken's waterblock/pump to the h240-x loop but wouldn't it cause flow problems? (I take it that I also have to power the pump on the kraken since I won't be removing it.)

You could add the Kraken block/pump to the H240-X for a temporary solution IF you know for sure your Kraken pump is dead. My point is you could still use it as a block, nothing else. If the pump on the Kraken isn't dead, I don't see why you would want to do this mod. You'll only add more strain on the cooling performance of the H240-X but IF you had to, you can add to it to cool the GPU as a temporary solution till you can get a replacement AIO or a GPU block and another radiator to add to the H240-X since its expandable.

Back