• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

home network help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rcoe

I have a couple pc's, a mycloud nas and a qnap nas all running on my home network. I have a couple unmanaged switches all running through a router. Everything was running perfectly until last night when I had to reboot my internet modem, router and main switch which I have done many times in the past.

Now from either my win7 or win10 pc I cannot see either of my nas devices in the network places, they are still shown as storage devices. I also had a couple folders on each set up as mapped network drives and these shares still work I can also access each from their login software. Both nas drives seem to be working perfectly and I can still stream to all my tv's through plex.

Problem I cannot fix is that they no longer show up in my network places, all of the other pc's on the network still show up. I did log into the the router and all the devices are showing up as being connected.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

You can still use all the features you need but just cant see them in file explorer correct?

Try going to the start menu and typing \\Ip.of.server\path\to\share and see if explorer pops up with it. I really cant help you with the WHY of it (im working through a similar issue) but if that works then you can atleast still move/manipulate your files. As for your mapped drives I would just delete the old entry and make a new one by manually inputting the path (ie: \\IP.of.server\path\to\share) and you should be up and running again
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ct-all-network-drives?forum=w7itpronetworking

Im looking for the link right now and cant find it, but apparently there is a "better" way to map network drives that using the rightclick menu. The system apparently has an easier time see/remebering it if dont int he "better" way. I will post back if I find it. Good luck

Edit: Also try power cycling all your equipment again if you havent (unplugging everything and letting it all reboot) as it might clear the issue

I have a couple pc's, a mycloud nas and a qnap nas all running on my home network. I have a couple unmanaged switches all running through a router. Everything was running perfectly until last night when I had to reboot my internet modem, router and main switch which I have done many times in the past.

Now from either my win7 or win10 pc I cannot see either of my nas devices in the network places, they are still shown as storage devices. I also had a couple folders on each set up as mapped network drives and these shares still work I can also access each from their login software. Both nas drives seem to be working perfectly and I can still stream to all my tv's through plex.

Problem I cannot fix is that they no longer show up in my network places, all of the other pc's on the network still show up. I did log into the the router and all the devices are showing up as being connected.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Are any of your devices you can't see anymore connected via WiFi?

Are any of your devices you can't see anymore connected via WiFi?

What difference would that make? A network doesn't distinguish between devices connected wired or wirelessly as far as I can tell.

What difference would that make? A network doesn't distinguish between devices connected wired or wirelessly as far as I can tell.

It can absolutely matter...WiFi can be a nightmare with shared networked devices and drives. I personally had the strangest issues with drives being seen but not being able to connect to them. Once I switched the mchines over to wired connections, my problems were solved.

It can absolutely matter...WiFi can be a nightmare with shared networked devices and drives. I personally had the strangest issues with drives being seen but not being able to connect to them. Once I switched the mchines over to wired connections, my problems were solved.

But in post #3 you were asking the OP if the drives were being seen at all. That's not the problem you were dealing with that you describe here in post #5. I'm not saying WIFI is not more problematic than wired connections. I'm just saying that theoretically, they are no different on a network. A network doesn't have a separate tier for WIFI devices.

But in post #3 you were asking the OP if the drives were being seen at all. That's not the problem you were dealing with that you describe here in post #5. I'm not saying WIFI is not more problematic than wired connections. I'm just saying that theoretically, they are no different on a network. A network doesn't have a separate tier for WIFI devices.

Yes, I did have that problem with drives both showing but not being connectable, and/or disappearing. I'm not going to outline every last detail of all my issues as this isn't the place for that in someone else's thread. I'm not a networking expert, so all I can speak for is my own experience with file sharing on network devices and that all kinds of weird issues were solved by switching the machines to wired connections. My issues made no sense and theoretically should have worked as well, but they did not reliably do what they should. I'm also not saying that's what the OP's problem is either, but I'm interested to know if WiFi has something to do with it :)

I certainly agree that wired is the way to go if you are close enough to the router to make it practical.

Back