• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 8TB WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN external RAID 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT: RAID 0 was misinformation by the main Amazon review that talked about a completely different dual drive and not the 8TB single drive, even though the review is listed under External single drive 8TB.

Seagate deals are everywhere but with that much data at stake, I pulled the trigger on an external WD last night, they are finally on sale.

Maybe I should have rolled the dice with Seagate, they sure had some sweet deals that smoked WD's pricing, but I went with WD, they say WD Reds are inside, can anyone second that NEW 8TB enclosures also have WD Reds and not just the old 8TB WD enclosures?

Out of the box, the drive is said to be set to RAID 0 mode and requires additional steps to change into a different mode, which people recommended.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
raid 0 is inherently unstable, so if you're looking for data security, raid 1 is the way to go. I'd just say it really depends on your uses for what you're trying to do.

Well the *entire* point is to make a backup of personal files...
Stability is paramount.
So what do you exactly actually do after you hook up this external drive to make sure it is as stable as possible...

Hi @c627627!

Unfortunately there is no sure way to say exactly what type of drive is inside the case because they may vary depending on the specific model, so it's hard to say what HDD model will be (5400RPM or 7200RPM, SATA or USB native). You can take a look at this KB article for more information if you want:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=kssH2Y

Also, there is a single drive inside the enclosure, so you won't be able to setup a RAID unless you get another HDD. Of course you can remove the drive from the case and setup an array with another one on your PC (if it has SATA interface), but I won't recommend it because you will void the warranty of the product. Instead I'd suggest to use it as an external.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

You're always welcome, @c627627! :)

Yes, the first review is about My Book Duo, which has two drives and could be setup in either RAID 0, RAID 1 or JBOD, depending on what will suit best on the purposes you're after. In your case I would definitely say that RAID 1 will be my choice (and recommendation). Here is a link to this drive:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PMrGHq

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-8TB-WDBFJK0080HBK-NESN-vs-WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN (post 8)

Yup.. R0 is for speed when R1 is at least going to give you some redundancy for drive failure. For data retention and recovery, this is the way to go for two drives. :)

Well the *entire* point is to make a backup of personal files...
Stability is paramount.
So what do you exactly actually do after you hook up this external drive to make sure it is as stable as possible...
Since it's a single external drive... plug it in. There is the anything we really do in such devices which do not require to set up RAID if you chose.

Last edited:
Yes this drive is a single drive EarthDog, but other external enclosures house dual drives...
Then Amazon inexplicably posts the front first review on this single 8TB drive being actually a review about a different WD dual drive, causing me to make this thread and causing massive confusion to whoever is shopping for a WD 8TB drive and reads the main Amazon review. If I were WD, I would contact Amazon to quit combining reviews for such completely different products that have *nothing* to do with each other. It is hurting WD, people are not informed, then they go to Amazon in huge numbers and read incorrect information because Amazon is combining reviews for completely different WD products which they should not do.

Mighty_Miro_WD,
if WD had a part number / serial number from a WD diagnostic - can they tell which drive it corresponds to?

Back