• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys think of the i3-7350k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All rumours are based on one and the same source ... interesting. I won't believe till I see retail chips doing that. First leaks about Skylake were showing exactly the same but somehow barely anyone could set fully stable 4.8GHz+ on air/water not to mention 5GHz. New batches are a bit better but still nothing that can guarantee over 4.8GHz stable from every chip.

There Are Titles That REQUIRE 4 threads or it won't work, correct.

There are several titles (nkt a majority, but enough to note...) out there that show significant performance losses with a dual compared to quad compared to quad w/ht. Look up some performamce reviews of games at techspot. ;)

As far as renames, lol, that won't happen.. i3 = dual with ht... i5 = quad...i7 = quad with HT or better. They have to redo their entire marketing and lineup...which can haplen, but they aren't simply making a quad in i3 form...

Intel's dirty little secret: laptop Core i5s act like desktop Core i3s! (2 cores with 4 threads)

100c sounds OK to me for 4.9GHz. Toms Hardware has 4.50 GHz at 1.30V.:D

Last edited:
Intel's dirty little secret: laptop Core i5s act like desktop Core i3s! (2 cores with 4 threads)

There are 2c+ht or 4c i5s for laptops now but also 2c+ht and 4c+ht i7.
It's because
i3 = no turbo
i5 = lower clock + turbo
i7 = higher clock + turbo

4 core i5 and i7 are only in gaming and workstation laptops and are 45W+ TDP. In all low power laptops are only 2 cores. Still calling 2 core CPU i7 isn't right.

IMO I still think the unlocked i3 is Intel's attempt at fighting Zen. And I'd say if Intel thinks this is the answer they're either stupid or Zen is overhyped and will fall short of Intel by a landslide. Let's hope the latter isn't the case because I think AMD really needs a comeback.

Kaby Lake 5 GHz dream is alive: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55191/7700k-overclocked-5ghz-chip-hits-100c/index.html
Assuming the i3k will do similar, and with half the cores, half the heating. Note the article doesn't anywhere state what cooling was used, but Prime95 stable 5 GHz at 1.3V would be really nice.

Two things:
1. The article linked is about an "engineering sample" Kaby Lake i7. Engineering samples often overclock better than the mass production model of he same product.
2. Intel will use better silicon on i7s than it will i3s and i5s. I note how the VID always seems to be higher on the lower end chips and stock clocks are often lower at the same time.

IMO I still think the unlocked i3 is Intel's attempt at fighting Zen. And I'd say if Intel thinks this is the answer they're either stupid or Zen is overhyped and will fall short of Intel by a landslide. Let's hope the latter isn't the case because I think AMD really needs a comeback.
You think a dual core with hyperthreading is going to face off with a quad/hex/octo with hyperthreading? Can't say I'm with you there.

Assuming Zen comes out and is, as I've said for more the on the subject, on par with Haswell IPC amd clocks are close, they have a winner. I'd bet money says Intel would lower prices to compete.

"High voltage" on Skylake is 1.42v+, so hes far off :clap:

Funny notes on that link though :

"4,850MHz is a decent frequency for a quad-core processor. A company, who shall remain nameless, has tested 30 Core i7-7700K processors and reckoned that 'good' chips can do 5GHz with 1.29V whilst bad chips need 1.35V for the same speed. It appears that we have a bad chip because the processor was only semi-stable at 5GHz at 1.35V."

"And because we have tested at sensible settings with the Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Strix Gaming GPU, overclocking the CPUs makes scant difference. We also checked the minimum framerates for various games and found little-to-no improvement when pushing the CPU."

Last edited:
"High voltage" on Skylake is 1.42v+, so hes far off :clap:

Funny notes on that link though :

"4,850MHz is a decent frequency for a quad-core processor. A company, who shall remain nameless, has tested 30 Core i7-7700K processors and reckoned that 'good' chips can do 5GHz with 1.29V whilst bad chips need 1.35V for the same speed. It appears that we have a bad chip because the processor was only semi-stable at 5GHz at 1.35V."

I'm kinda undecided on the whole thing and will have to wait and see what they do in people's hands before deciding. Unless it is too cheap not to, which doesn't sound like it will be the case.

Well also saw something that the i7 7700k wasn't an improvement clock for clock against an i7 6700k.

This has been widely reported for a while... outside of the new video related functions added anyway. There is one guy on another forum claiming there are IPC changes in some other areas, but he has no proven credibility although if true the areas mentioned would be of interest to me. Anyone got a mobile Laby Lake around here?

Seems Kaby Lake is bug and stability fixes over Skylake so if you're coming from an older platform (Ivy Bridge and below) it will be worth it. Not from Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake.

Slowest i5 I think is 2.7ghz. Others are right in that 3ghz+ range. It would take at least low 4ghz range to beat most of them. You can also lock in highest turbo on all cores on the i5 that do not overclock. It certainly can be done.
The i5 6400T runs at 2.2 GHz and 2.5 GHz turbo on 3 or 4 cores, 2.7 GHz on 2 cores, and 2.8 GHz on a single core.

Isn't that a mobile chip at 35W?

Edit: It isn't, wow. Still though, everyone but THAT one, lol!

Last edited:
Intel do S and T suffixed CPUs for lower power non-laptop uses. Note I have an i5-4570S and i3-3150T CPUs. In hindsight, I'm not thermally limited so I should have got the faster normal ones for the same cost! The i3-4150T might still come in handy for a mod I planned but never started...

Two things:
1. The article linked is about an "engineering sample" Kaby Lake i7. Engineering samples often overclock better than the mass production model of he same product.
2. Intel will use better silicon on i7s than it will i3s and i5s. I note how the VID always seems to be higher on the lower end chips and stock clocks are often lower at the same time.

That is not always true my i5 6600k has a low VID at 3.9GHz Turbo it is VID 1.275. Some chips are down graded because of cache or corese if they use the same die size, they could Bin high however there downgraded.

Assuming Zen comes out and is, as I've said for more the on the subject, on par with Haswell IPC amd clocks are close, they have a winner. I'd bet money says Intel would lower prices to compete.
I bet Intel will not come down in price.:D

How do you check VID ? I haven't seen any skylake with VID above 1.2V. Most have ~1.15V. Many motherboards are setting wrong voltage when you leave them at auto. Early ASUS BIOS was causing it to run at 1.3V+ and users were thinking they got the worst possible chips. The same CPU on 3 different motherboards had between 1.15 and 1.35 auto voltage.

Btw my luck is that i3 was overclocking better than i5 and i5 was overclocking better than i7. I had couple of i3, i5 an i7 Skylakes and the best for overclocking was i3 6320. Maybe it's my luck but I can't really see differences in silicon quality. It's all matter of batch/factory and simply luck. CPUs from the same factory and the same batch usually show similar OC potential but it's not a rule.

I don't think that Intel lower prices on their CPUs anytime soon as most users won't be convinced to AMD no matter what will be released. Enthusiasts will try new AMD chips but most users don't care about AMD anymore and it will take a lot of time to rebuild trust to this brand. I will only tell you that I work for a company which has about 1000 active clients right now and I sold 1 AMD based PC in last 5 years. Those who buy AMD right now are enthusiasts or those who want cheap PC and have no idea what are they buying. I'm not saying that AMD is pure evil but again it will take a lot of time till AMD back on track. So far we see they are reducing loses on the market and ZEN can bring them some profits.

Last edited:
Back