• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modem/Router/Switch bottleneck at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new router with the cyber monday deals (my current one has very limited range lately).
With a whopping 50mb internet service, am I going to see any bottlenecking with any of my current gear: Netgear CM400, TrendNet TEW-639GR, and a 10/100/1000 8-port switch whose name alludes me.
My current router wifi seems to extend about 25' lately, so I've been looking to replace it any way. I just want to make sure nothing else should be replaced as well while I'm buying a new router.

I don't see any major issues. Replacing the trendnet with a new AC router will be just fine.

How is the Linksys EA7500? On sale for $100, any other better choices in that price range?

looks to be pretty decent. I own a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and like it just fine. At some point I plan to replace it and put in a couple Ubiquiti AC-LR APs in the house to give a wireless mesh that should hand off easily to prevent switching/drop offs. But I don't know the size/space you are working with and where everything is located (centrally or in a corner, etc)

I own a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and like it just fine.
That was one of the others I was looking at. Looks like the ea7500 is very similar in performance and range, just a little more expensive right now with the EA7500 at $100.

At some point I plan to replace it and put in a couple Ubiquiti AC-LR APs in the house to give a wireless mesh that should hand off easily to prevent switching/drop offs.
Probably the best solution, but I need something simple enough that my wife can handle a reset if I'm not home. That's why I'm looking at all-in-one type deals, otherwise the Ubiquiti would

But I don't know the size/space you are working with and where everything is located (centrally or in a corner, etc)
Right now the modem/router are in the basement along the center of one wall. It's a ranch house, so just one floor to go through. The main TV is in the living room downstairs about 15' from the router, but with a living room/kitchen/bedrooms up stairs we're also using cell phones/ipads/laptop/etc upstairs too. I also want to reach the garage for streaming music, which is probably 25' from the router location.

So here's kinda what I have it narrowed to:
- EA7500 for $100
- DIR-879 for $105
- N7000 for $120
- RT-AC68U for $130

I think I'm pulling the trigger on the Linksys WRT1900ACS. It edges out the r7000 for longer distance wifi which is a big plus.
I think thats my best bet in the $100 range (comes in at $110).

I think I'm pulling the trigger on the Linksys WRT1900ACS. It edges out the r7000 for longer distance wifi which is a big plus.
I think thats my best bet in the $100 range (comes in at $110).

I'd also recommend the R7000. Fantastic router with excellent coverage. Add to the fact that you can install what I consider to be the best and most stable firmware (Linked below) I have ever used on the r7000 make it a really good choice.

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/about.htm

New router is here. What's the best way to test speeds? Id love to make an actual comparison from old to new using data and not just assumption.

New router is here. What's the best way to test speeds? Id love to make an actual comparison from old to new using data and not just assumption.

Speedtest.net only tests your internet conenction speed. If you share files within the house or stream from a computer hosting files, then you'll need to test streaming from that computer from a few spots and/or copy something over the wireless and click the details option to see the actual (internal/LAN) transfer rate.

Back