• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FedEx Ground moron delivery service

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Waitaminute: I can mail a letter to NYC/NJ for $.50 cents and it gets there in 3 days or less. Mom has always received her mail from me in 2 days. Yet a package (that's "cost effective") from close to the same location, travels the same distance, yet takes over 8 days to me? That's NOT by any means "customized" And yes I'm again blaming FedEx and their "highly efficient, cost-effective network specifically built to tender low-weight, non-urgent packages to local USPS destinations." So when I chose "free shipping" that means it takes a longer time to reach it's final destination and I'm supposed to be ok with that? No I'm not ok with it.

I can see it coming from CA, then yes I understand perfectly why it takes a longer time as it's travelling a longer distance. It's roughly 160 miles from me to NYC and takes me 2 hours @ 75mph to get there. Maybe 3 hours to NJ as the traffic there is horrible, but 8 days to travel the same distance? I can understand 3 days to process the package and another 2 days of travel. Total is 5 days, but then they make it 8 days, oh and don't forget the additional day or 2 as the package will sit at the USPS annex until after the weekend and "provide the highest-quality delivery service, in the shortest time" What a joke.

I rather just buy my crap locally, pay a few bux more and have it the same day. Ordering online saves me what, a few bux? The money saved when I order online is spent on Tylenol.
Yes Neb, you ask for free shipping, it generally takes longer than paid options. That's how it works and has as long as I can remember. You didn't pay nothing for it to get there in 5 days around the Holidays.

Next time, don't select the 'penny saver shipping' and you won't have this problem. It really is that simple and not FedEx's fault. Sorry you cheaped out on shipping, didn't know how long it would take (clearly expected sooner than they are delivering it!), and around the busiest time of the year for shippers... but I can't say this is a FedEx issue. I would say your expectations are too high for what you selected... regardless of how easy you think it is to get something 160 miles away is.

In my old town I lived in an apt complex downtown and the delivery men were willing to actually leave packages at the door (even walk up stairs! wow!) to make sure we had a decent chance at getting our packages. After I moved I had about 5 packages delivered to the wrong complex before I gave up and got a PO box.

EDIT: This is USPS, I should mention. UPS actually delivers stuff to my door. Not sure about fedex.

Last edited:
ive had them never leave a note or anything then when i look up online "customer didnt answer door" on a package that didnt need signed could have been left on the porch. they did this 3 days in a row (wife was home the whole time she worked 3rd shift). finally i called and complained it was there next day.

best guess is im literally the northern most part of their route from tulsa, ok to my town they probably didnt want to drive to my house and watned to get home.

You have to remember, the drivers are salary not hourly and when their route is done they get to go home....kind of a huge factor there for being lazy and uncaring for customers.

Waitaminute: I can mail a letter to NYC/NJ for $.50 cents and it gets there in 3 days or less. Mom has always received her mail from me in 2 days. Yet a package (that's "cost effective") from close to the same location, travels the same distance, yet takes over 8 days to me? That's NOT by any means "customized" And yes I'm again blaming FedEx and their "highly efficient, cost-effective network specifically built to tender low-weight, non-urgent packages to local USPS destinations." So when I chose "free shipping" that means it takes a longer time to reach it's final destination and I'm supposed to be ok with that? No I'm not ok with it.

I can see it coming from CA, then yes I understand perfectly why it takes a longer time as it's travelling a longer distance. It's roughly 160 miles from me to NYC and takes me 2 hours @ 75mph to get there. Maybe 3 hours to NJ as the traffic there is horrible, but 8 days to travel the same distance? I can understand 3 days to process the package and another 2 days of travel. Total is 5 days, but then they make it 8 days, oh and don't forget the additional day or 2 as the package will sit at the USPS annex until after the weekend and "provide the highest-quality delivery service, in the shortest time" What a joke.

I rather just buy my crap locally, pay a few bux more and have it the same day. Ordering online saves me what, a few bux? The money saved when I order online is spent on Tylenol.

Thing is, shipping times aren't based solely on distance, they're also based on priority. If there's only enough room for two more packages on a truck, with packages A & B having next day shipping and package C has the super economy Toyota Corolla class, that econobox is spending the night in a warehouse. Enough load on the network, and it'll keep getting bumped.

I've had this happen many times before with UPS, their local office LOVES doing this, and not just their cheapest offer either. I've had things shipped 3-day, make it cross country to the local dispatch office in 24 hours, then have them sit on it for the next 2 days. Annoying? Yes, but that's why if something's urgent, I get it off Amazon and shipped Prime.

@ 87dtna - I also understand they're under a lot of pressure to get done from higher up as fast as possible. Enough that saying "hey look I got done with this route 1/2 an hour faster than the other guy! Oh, and these guys weren't home to accept packages." is worth it despite getting a few complaints about people seeing them drive right by.

Last edited:
I chased a UPS driver once. He ran up and stuck the F-U note on my door and ran back to the truck. While I watched through the window 3 feet from the door. I chased him on foot through the apt. complex shouting and he saw me in the mirror and floored it.

Amazon Prime is getting pretty bad lately. They've screwed up so many of my deliveries lately I've gotten a free month+ in credits and refunds for stuff I got and they added a free month to my account.

Edit: I'll be ordering more stuff from Amazon this month. I'm looking at a shiny new flash drive..... :rofl:

Honestly, if I had a car, I'd go to the microcenter in Detroit. It's such a worry when you order stuff. Is it going to be broken? How long will it take to get a replacement if it is, and how many times will they be willing to keep sending those if each part gets broken? My cousin had 4 hard drives arrive broken in a row. Understandably, Amazon got suspicious and just cut him off and gave him a refund.

I know most of my local repair shops make the trip to microcenter, because they can't afford the risk. I don't blame them. I actually might just look into taking a bus down there one of these days, I've seen people get so many steals from there.

Trust me, if I had a MC near me I would go in a heartbeat. Nearest MC is close to 4 hours away. That's 8 hours round trip more or less with decent/good traffic. :rain:

Trust me, if I had a MC near me I would go in a heartbeat. Nearest MC is close to 4 hours away. That's 8 hours round trip more or less with decent/good traffic. :rain:

Same here, sadly no good big box computer stores around here except 3 hour drive one way.

I thought you were in NYC? If so, there is one off of 80 in NJ. Should only be about an hour one way, maybe two if traffic really sucks.

The main issue here is: Postal service thats cheap most likely it sucks....
This problem is everywhere in the world I assume. "Delivery to your doors" Then they leave package on the open thats if you are lucky, if not you have to go pick it up yourself this is
pain in *** if you don't drive and walk 1 hour up and down with heavy package.
Thats why I always check delivery options, luckily many stores use good services at least in Croatia.
Yea and good ****ing luck if you live in rural area...

Back