• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gtx 460 768MB Gainward overheating?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dzonson

Registered
Hi, I need to sell this card and I am wondering is it stable?
It is not overclocked.
I have run tests with kombustor, furmark and heaven.
After 30 minutes of kombustor it doesn't crash and the temp goes to 80°C after a few minutes and stays at 82°C for the rest of the time.
After 30 minutes of heaven it doesn't crash but the temp goes to 92°C in most of the time.
And I ran furmark for 15 min but the temp jumps to 99°C almost immediately and stays there, it doesn't crash either.

Last edited:
Seems like high temps to me for stock clocks. Furmark should be disregarded.

Are the fans spinning up? Tried to replace thermal paste?

The fans are spinning really fast, they are slower now though after reapplying thermal paste.
The temps I got in my first post are after reapplying that thermal paste, before I applied it the bencmark programs would crash immiedaitely - screen turns black, and the temp for kombuster was 90°C.
The diffrence was that I applied thermal on top of the gpu cover with like double x method as opposed to p method I did before.

The card should be just fine now that it is not crashing anymore, you don't have to worry about the temps.

Did you clean the card from dust? did you clean the fans? Do you have good airflow?
My WinFast GTX460 didnt reach even the 70c when it ran Heaven and Furmark.

Btw unless it passes 95c while gaming everything is alright.

Keep in mind this card is ancient, was never a stellar thermal performer to begin with, and some degredation has bound to have set in.

Also, why are you benchmarking your cards when youre not overclocking? Monitor temps during normal use, and see where the temps lay. Kombustor and Furmark should never be used for any reason. Heaven is fine, Valley is good, 3d mark tests are great.

Might be time to consider a new gpu?

- - - Updated - - -

I was under the impression that the 4xx series ran hot.

your impression is not incorrect haha

Back