• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Laptop Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fcomstoc

Hello Everyone,

I have a friend that is looking for a new laptop, and as I have used MacBooks for several years I am not really sure where to get started. The biggest requirements are that it has to run dual external displays (1080p is ok -- nothing too crazy) using internal graphics - no USB GPUs (ugh). Looking for something mid-high range, around $1000, just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you,
-Frank

Sounds like you'll be looking for a machine with HDMI and thunderbolt. Won't get more than 1 HDMI out on a modern laptop. DVI/VGA are dinosaurs and never included anymore. You'll be likely using an HDMI connection in conjunction with a USB type C/displayport based thunderbolt port to power a displayport display.

Thank you @Theocnoob , I did notice while shopping around that there really isn't anything with 2 HDMI as you said. I did see some with DSP/USBC so hopefully that works ok. I haven't had a Windows laptop in about 10 years now, and at that time it would only allow you to use one external at a time. Hopefully that is not the case anymore. She did end up purchasing a laptop yesterday so I guess there is no need to work on this anymore :).

PS. Adding you on Battle.net - I purchased Overwatch (PC) yesterday, I have had it for XBO for a while now, but the PC version is better :). (frankthetank#1239)

Awesome man! Hopefully we can play some rounds on overwatch tonight. I'll look for you when I log on.
edit: I just tried looking for you and there was an error. Can you add me?

BTW just so you know, USB type C is not necessarily tied to thunderbolt and will not necessarily carry a video out signal. Buyer Beware.

Make sure the displays have display port connections. But then again there are probably adapters to convert to some other video input if they don't.

Awesome man! Hopefully we can play some rounds on overwatch tonight. I'll look for you when I log on.
edit: I just tried looking for you and there was an error. Can you add me?
Sounds good, I tried, Battle.net is down. I will when it comes back up :)

BTW just so you know, USB type C is not necessarily tied to thunderbolt and will not necessarily carry a video out signal. Buyer Beware.
That is good to know, I think the machine she bought is HDMI and Display Port so should be ok I hope :) Although I did tell her that she could get an ultrawide or 4k for the extra real-estate if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure the displays have display port connections. But then again there are probably adapters to convert to some other video input if they don't.
Yeah, I think DSP displays are pretty rare, I do have one at work and I do have a few adapters at home just in case.

Unless you mean something other than displayport by DSP, no they aren't rare at all. Pretty much all high end monitors these days are displayport. You only tend to see DVI and VGA on lower grade "for the masses not the classes" type stuff.

Unless you mean something other than displayport by DSP, no they aren't rare at all. Pretty much all high end monitors these days are displayport. You only tend to see DVI and VGA on lower grade "for the masses not the classes" type stuff.

I suppose that is true, I have a tendency though to use lots of monitors instead of better monitors - except for in the case of my new LG 34in Ultrawide (21:9) that monitor is awesome. The other ones - not so much they are just cheap 22s :)

It is, this is my current setup with the 34in ultrawide in the middle, once you get something that looks really nice and is good for gaming its hard to switch to something else:

(BTW, I know Overwatch is on the Xbox screen - I own it for both XBO and PC)

unspecified.jpg

LOL, Right, the GPU only supports 4, I did have Nvidia surround set up on 3 1080p monitors but the GPU couldn't really handle that - at least not on high settings - plus no extra monitors to look stuff up. So I bought the ultrawide and now I just play games on that and I have the extras for looking stuff up or for work. :)

Last edited:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3962479&Sku=40180825

Beast of a laptop - if he needs something purely for gaming though you might have to look at other options. I use this for work and it crushes whatever I throw at it (even minor gaming - haven't tried anything too extensive yet though, but I'm sure it would play CSGO and most modern games on medium settings).

i7 @ 2.4GHz, 16GB RAM out of the box, 256GB PCIe SSD, 1GB dedicated video, USB 3.0 all around. It only comes with Display Port and VGA for video ports, but if you buy the slim dock for it (~$150) you can have a VGA and 2x DP displays attached with the lid closed. I use tri-display with the dock and have zero issues.

Just my two cents - if you can give us more defined specifications I could source you something closer to your friends needs/wants.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3962479&Sku=40180825

Beast of a laptop - if he needs something purely for gaming though you might have to look at other options. I use this for work and it crushes whatever I throw at it (even minor gaming - haven't tried anything too extensive yet though, but I'm sure it would play CSGO and most modern games on medium settings).

i7 @ 2.4GHz, 16GB RAM out of the box, 256GB PCIe SSD, 1GB dedicated video, USB 3.0 all around. It only comes with Display Port and VGA for video ports, but if you buy the slim dock for it (~$150) you can have a VGA and 2x DP displays attached with the lid closed. I use tri-display with the dock and have zero issues.

Just my two cents - if you can give us more defined specifications I could source you something closer to your friends needs/wants.

Thank you for the info, my friend already picked the computer (got a Lenovo), I guess she was in a hurry :). I did look at HP but I had a ton of issues with them quality wise (3 laptops in 2 years) - that was actually the main reason I switched to Macs. That was about 7 years ago though - maybe things have changed...

- - - Updated - - -

Only four monitors? :sly:

jks

Digging the ikea table. I had the same table. Got sick of it and upgraded to an actual desk. I like it.

I like it too, did run into a pretty big issue with it, turns out the monitor mount is massively heavy. After about 3 days I noticed it was leaning forward. It actually suck into the top of the desk. I added an all-wood Ikea shelf under the stand to stop that happening. :)

I have been looking for a new desk but havent found one big enough yet.

Back