• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual boot sys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I have 2 hds with win2k on both how do i set it up so i choose which drive boots

Open the Boot.ini file on your bootable drive. You'll see a section that looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

To add an additional OS to the boot loader add a line like this for booting to the first partition on the secondary master:

multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Or first partition on the primary slave:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

You can change the timeout value in seconds to allow time desired for selection and check that the system folder is in the correct place.

Xaotic said:
Open the Boot.ini file on your bootable drive. You'll see a section that looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

To add an additional OS to the boot loader add a line like this for booting to the first partition on the secondary master:

multi(1)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Or first partition on the primary slave:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

You can change the timeout value in seconds to allow time desired for selection and check that the system folder is in the correct place.

where do i find this file

It should be in the root directory on your C: drive, if you did a standard installation. You will not need to change the one on the second drive.

Xaotic said:
It should be in the root directory on your C: drive, if you did a standard installation. You will not need to change the one on the second drive.

New to this have no idea where to go

Just realized what problem you are having. Open Windows Explorer and goto the Tools > Folder Options > View. You need to select Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files. I always turn these options on/off when I first load, I also turn off Hide extensions for known file types to eliminate confusion in other file manipulation. At this point the Boot.ini will be visible. It'll be located in the root or C: directory.

To Xaotic thanks for all the help i got it working just followed your directions easy. Thanks again.

OK, here is a continuation to this thread... I have 2 HDD my C: had XP PRO and I just installed ME on my D: over my old Win98SE, but now i don't get to do a duel boot between XP and ME, i still have my boot options for 98 but I removed the files so as to do that kind of boot, so how would i chang eit over so as to boot into ME?

here is a copy of my boot.ini before ME install:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=10
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPPRO

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPPRO="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

Is this what it should read:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=10

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPPRO="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINME="Microsoft Windows ME"
c:\="Microsoft Windows ME"

Close. It should read like this:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=10

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPPRO="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /basevideo /sos

I added the basevideo and sos for troubleshooting purposes. The 98 install is removed entirely and since it was bootable on the initial file, I've simply changed the text. You will not need the ARC path for ME, as with 98, due to its loading method not using ARC paths. I hope it works, my brain is about fried. I got up over 37 hours ago and can't think as well as normal. Some people have their doubts about that too. I'll check back in the morning after about 6 hours of sleep.

OK, i'll give that a try and see what happens

ok i tried it and i get these options
Win Xp Pro
Win XP Pro
Win ME
Win Default

If i try to open anything other then the first Win XP Pro my system locks up??? maybe that isn't the right code
gonna try it wihtout the diagnostic operations

Last edited:
That tells me how the disks are setup. Try changing this line

to this:

D:\="Microsoft Windows ME"

I'm trying to avoid going to a third party boot manager and also reloads or moving disks. Drop the basevideo line I had hoped it carried over from 2000 since it allows loading on a vga palette and progressive loading of drivers, but apparently not.

Back