• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus mobo do not boot, no beep - after PSU "burned"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

artss

My asus p5p800se do not launch after my codegen psu overheated as the result of no working cooler, and released the electric discharge when I was shutting down my pc. So some overvoltage went on mb, hd etc as at that moment some strange sound was heard from sound outlets exactly before the electric discharge. Several years ago the similar situation happened as mb did not booted. Then mb service changed some board stabilizer (as I undertood it was some kind of diod) and the electric supply to proc was renewed and pc was working a lot of time. This time I do not know if this stabilizer was replaced despite master even asked me which stabilizer, but I did not remembered except the issue was in "stabilizer". This time there were no electric supply again and master replaced some visually bad transistors and probably drivers (despite I do not even assume what is driver on mb) on board. The electric supply was regenerated for processor but mb do not boot. There was also "no codes" code on postcard after repair. So master stopped to try to repair it. It seems unrecovable? Or somebody can make some suggestion where to find the issue? For example my hd was also not defined on other pc after that. But when broken tvs diode was revealed and replaced it was possible to use hd again. So it confirmed the overvoltage issue. Are there same antivoltage barrier on main board? Maybe main board also need to replace some component as in the hd pcb?

Junk psu did it to you again? Get a new psu. If it was from bad house power, get a ups.

If I understood your post, I'd venture the motherboard is dead. Time for a new one... or a complete system upgrade.

Junk psu did it to you again? Get a new psu. If it was from bad house power, get a ups.

I know that a good PSU, like an early-2000s PSU I had once, would shut down and it looks just like a CPU overheat shutdown when the PSU thermal trip occurs.

And regarding house wiring, the OP should get an electrician! The OP may have a bad neutral connection and that causes overvolting! But causes undervolting on the leg that's under heavy load. The sign of a bad neutral=asymmetry between different legs.

A bad neutral essentially acts like electrical devices being plugged in series!

Like this:

-----appliance------appliance------appliance-------TV-----------PC

I have replaced psu but former one burned and overheated due to the non working psu own cooler inside it as I was said by psu master. And he told that overvoltage was about 2-3 times higher then normal one. And to be frankly I do not know if processor is alive despite I have read that proc burning could happen very seldom. And any way - my non-working mobo was launched with another proc without result in service. Maybe the mb is deat but maybe the is some way to recover it as it happened on hd pcb. Do asus have no antivoltage defence as tvs in hd? Can bios replacement by programmator help or just cmos reset with jumpers? I am not ready to system whole upgrade as this one worked more then 10 years and got out of work just due of deffect psu. I can just buy used mb but the same model is in another country, so I am not sure get the working one but in my country i can buy just similar mb, despite it can not be cheaper than the same one from out of border. So maybe some suggestion to recover taking into account broken overvoltage components like tvs?

"psu own cooler" do you mean its fan stopped working? What is "PSU master"?

Just because it has overvoltage protection doesn't mean it can handle "2-3x" the normal amount of power.

The only way to test it is by swapping parts out. Put the CPU in a known good board and see if it works. If it doesn't, CPU is obviously bad. Otherwise, take a known good CPU and put it in your motherboard. If it doesn't work than the board is toast.

I can't help on overvoltage with TV's... get a surge protector and make sure the electrical in your house is good.

Master that repair the psu, said me about such overvoltage, but it is his assumption. So at that time just psu was used but not new when taken by me once. For example the hdd is alive despite TVS diode burned. So why mobo do not have such mechanism as tvs in hdd - it should be very helpful as mb frequenty appears toasted. Even if it so - maybe just some components burned but not that one that service masters replaced just by looking at their state visually (what is drivers on main pcb). If talking about overvoltage - what part and components of mb take the electric supply and took this surge and maybe just them are burned as tvs? And it has no connection with home electric wiring probably as the source of overvoltage was from psu. Yes psu cooler is psu fan that make more colder temperature in the psu. What about antisurge protection - I read that asus since 2013 introduced such mechanism but this mb is of 2006, despite it frequenty voluntary reloaded the OS probably due to electric network fluctuation despite as I understand psu should have some stabizers that should define necessary voltages not more not less.

Here I need to detail some moments. I need my p5p800se schema with all its components. At least chips. For example I explored that VRM on mb is responsible for voltage regulation for processor. Maybe I need to see for it. Can anybody provide some info on VRM for my motherboard? Maybe just it is damaged. 2. The second issue is could overvoltage damaged bios chip or cmos chip - so could the chip reflash help as I read that it should in some cases? Should I use programmator or just resolder the chip. Then about cmos- battery was probably taken out to check its relevancy so what could resetting by jumper to change? Can the cmos and bios became unrecoverable?

The board is dead. Throw it away.

You're in way over your head to even think about trying to repair a 10 year old motherboard, no matter what your reasoning is.

I will have a time to throw it away. The same I was said about my overvoltaged hdd with the same age.
So I want reiterate briefly my questions -- Can I find functional or structural digram of this main board or it is impossible?
Could it happen that just vrm was burned, so what is vrm (marking) for P5p800 se?
The second issue is cmos reset and bios reflash -- at least it I need to try before the real seeking another one (the cmos battery was measured for correct voltage about month as I got to remember)?

Back