• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CyanogenMod 12.1 Android 5.1.1 on Amazon Fire 7 Tablet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I've been installing custom operating systems on my phones since the original Samsung Galaxy 1 came out.
Customizing Amazon Fire was hardest by far.

:( As usual, xda forums give incomplete and difficult to follow information. :(
It took me all night to figure this out.

Make sure your screen is not in screen saver mode just before you start any of the processes on your computer.
In case of problems under Windows 10, try doing a complete factory reset then doing all of this on a Windows 7 computer.

Do not use KingRoot alone because it does not work with FlashFire which is needed to install CyanogenMod, etc.

Do not connect WiFi yet or else your device may be updated making it more difficult to customize.
Disable Updates!

Settings > Apps & Games > Amazon Application Settings > Appstore > Disable Updates and Notifications
Settings > Device Options > System Updates > lists Fire OS version
Settings > Security > Allow Apps from Unknown Sources

Settings > Device Options > TAP on Serial Number seven times to enable Developer Options > Enable ADB

Note that you can downgrade firmware from Fire OS 5.3.2 to 5.3.1 but do not downgrade any lower or you will hard brick the device.
You can also downgrade from 5.1.4 to 5.1.3 or 5.1.2.1 or 5.1.2. My Fire 7 came with 5.1.3 so I wanted to downgrade for 5.1.2 for widest customization compatibility.

Get firmware from:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62986665&postcount=3

Install drivers from https://s3.amazonaws.com/android-sdk-manager/redist/kindle_fire_usb_driver.zip

Install ADB
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=63072252&postcount=2
or better yet from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118

Copy firmware .bin file to where ADB.exe file is.
Press and hold power button and volume down button simultaneously when booting the device.

Connect the device to the computer.
Select: apply update from ADB on Tablet.
Use Volume buttons to move and Power button to select.

***IMPORTANT***
You must now change the driver at this stage only.
Go to Device Manager and figure out where the device is listed, usually under Fire Devices, and right click > Update Driver Software... in a way that you "Browse my computer for driver software" and "Let me pick from a list if device drivers on my computer" > UNCHECK: Show compatible hardware >

then SELECT: Android Composite ADB Interface.

If you need to, browse to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon.com\Fire_Devices\Drivers

Reboot computer when asked.

On the computer from the Command Prompt with Administrator privileges, use cd.. to go up one directory and cd adb to get inside adb folder.
Type:
adb sideload filename
for example:
adb sideload update-kindle-global-37.5.4.2_user_542168620.bin

Check that Fire OS version has been downgraded correctly:
Settings > Device Options > System Updates > lists Fire OS version

=====================

Download AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool from:
http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=Amazon Fire 5th gen/SuperTool

Boot into the operating system and then Connect the device to the computer.

IMPORTANT:
****Allow debugging from your computer when prompted on Tablet.****

Run 1-Amazon-Fire-5th-gen.bat

Make sure your device ID next to the word device is initially displayed, indicating it has been detected.

Before Rooting, SELECT: 5 Install FlashFire App or Xposed Framework > 1 Install FlashFire App to flash files and roms
Wait for the process to finish and "hit ENTER to return to start:"

NOW:
6 Root your Amazon Fire 5th gen
Select correct Fire OS

When asked to open KingRoot,
TURN Wi-Fi on because part of this process will need internet connection.

Start KingRoot on the tablet when asked > scroll down > Try it > Try to root.

The device may reboot. Just get out of the lock screen if it does, KingRoot will continue the root process on its own after reboot.
KingRoot will display Security index when it finishes. [You may want to confirm by running a Root Checker app.]

Go back to SuperTool window and press any key at this point > Allow permission on Tablet when asked.

Allow SuperSU binary to update when asked > Continue > Normal
Start SuperSU manually if you miss this message.
SuperSU will prompt:
Other superuser apps aside from SuperSU have been detected.
Attempt to uninstall them? > OK
Reboot

***IMPORTANT***
You must now change the driver at this stage again.
Go to Device Manager and figure out where the device is listed, usually under Fire Devices, and right click > Update Driver Software... in a way that you "Browse my computer for driver software" and "Let me pick from a list if device drivers on my computer" > UNCHECK: Show compatible hardware >

then SELECT: Android ADB Interface.

If you need to, browse to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon.com\Fire_Devices\Drivers

Disconnect / Reconnect the device to computer to be able to transfer files to it now.

CyanogenMod 12.1 for Amazon Fire 7:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-cm-12-1-2015-11-15-t3249416

Copy CyanogenMod and gapps micro file to internal storage on the device.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=457095661767117745
http://opengapps.org/
ARM [not ARM64] - micro - 5.1.1

Disconnect the device from the computer.

Start FlashFire > Grant SuperSU > Agree > No thanks

- Click on the Red + and choose 'Wipe'
- Keep these three selections CHECKED: System data, 3rd party apps and Dalvik cache > Tap on Check Mark.
- Click on the Red + button and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'
- Navigate to and choose the latest CyanogenMod zip file
- Accept defaults
- Click the Red + button again and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'
- Navigate to and choose the latest Open Gapps zip file
- Accept defaults
- Touch, hold and move "Wipe" above all Flash Zip lines
- Press the big FLASH button > OK

After about a minute you should see activity and wait for the tablet to reboot into CyanogenMod!

***YOU MUST ENABLE ROOT AFTER INSTALLING CYANOGENMOD***

Settings > Device Options > TAP on Build number seven times to enable Developer Options.
Settings > Developer Options > Root access > Apps and ADB > Reboot

In the future, to upgrade to a newer version of CyanogenMod from FlashFire:
- Click on the Red + button and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'
- Navigate to and choose the latest Cyanogenmod zip file
- Click the Red + button again and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'
- Navigate to and choose the latest Open Gapps zip file
- Accept defaults
- Click on the Red + and choose 'Wipe'
- ONLY CHECK: Dalvik and Cache > Tap on Check Mark.
- Press the big FLASH button > OK

FlashFire needs to be reinstalled under CyanogenMod:
Download AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool from:
http://rootjunkysdl.com/files/?dir=Amazon Fire 5th gen/SuperTool
Boot into the operating system and then Connect the device to the computer.

IMPORTANT:
****Allow debugging from your computer when prompted on Tablet.****

Run 1-Amazon-Fire-5th-gen.bat

Make sure your device ID next to the word device is initially displayed, indicating it has been detected.

SELECT: 5 Install FlashFire App or Xposed Framework > 1 Install FlashFire App to flash files and roms

FlashFire:
- Click on the Red + button and choose BACKUP
- Include System, Data and Cache to make an image of your operating system.
You can change the save location and name of the image file.

You may include WIPE before restoring the image.

Last edited:
Not that I'm a fan of the amazon UI, but as nox said.. that's a helluva lot to go through to change it. What's it look like with cyan on it?

It looks like a perfectly functioning tablet without any bloatware on it.
This was a challenge that I did for myself, and posted here so that I can use it again myself if I ever get another Fire Tablet.

The most frustrating thing was reading xda forums because they frequently (almost always) skip VITAL pieces of information... which people only figure out after having wasted hours of time because when people post on xda, they assume you "just know" everything they do, instead of taking a few extra seconds to spell things out for normal people.
I pulled an all-nighter to figure this out, and that's with access to xda instructions.

It never ceases to amaze me how often xda instructions are incomplete. It's always something that they leave out.

its almost like overclocking.. would be nice to see people post things like this more often.. I have 3 fire tablets in my house atm.. none are mine, but never know.. one might disappear lol!

Dam I have an Amazon Fire 7 Tablet and I'm scared out of my wits to even attempt this :eek:

That is some process to go through. You've got mad props from me c6! :salute:

My son recently gave us an Amazon Fire 7 Tablet , as a half-measure to make it usable I used this procedure to install Google Play, which got the 'normal', non-Amazon apps.

Eventually I'd like to go ahead and do a full Android install, just because. But, for now I do have typical functionality and use of my favorite Google apps.

Back