• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux remote desktop on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Apparently this is a well known bug. You set up Samba and Remote Desktop in your Linux distro, then attempt to access it with a VNC client from Windows. This results in an encryption error. The only "solution" I can find is to disable the encryption for remote desktop access within Linux.

This seems like a really poor answer. Is there a Windows VNC viewer that works properly with Linux remote desktop encryption? Alternatively, is there an another option besides VNC in Linux that plays nicer with Windows viewer clients?

I'm currently working with Ubuntu 16.04, but it seems that it's been a known issue since Ubuntu 14.

I have never actually ever run into this personally. It is definitely not the case in CentOS 6 or 7 (from Windows 7 and 10 respectively). It's also not the case in Fedora 24.

My dad uses the above and believe me I would have heard about it if he could not VNC into the linux machines (all of which are running samba). Is it possible that it is the remote desktop thingy in Ubuntu causing the problem?

Have you tried X11VNC or TigerVNC? X11VNC is what I use for remoting into the current xsession. For headless computers I use tigervnc

I've moved over to Anydesk recently from TeamViewer. If you are using it for business purposes there is a modest license fee but much less expensive than the TeamViewer license. I've only used Anydesk from Windows machines, however, so I can't speak to how well it works from Linux.

Back