• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I am stuck with 2 GTX 1060 GPUs from Newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AsusFan

Hello all

I have been saving my pennies for a while now and finally decided to build a gaming PC.

CPU: i7 6700k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Formula
Memory: 32GB of Ram (just because I can, not that I need it)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB x2
Power Supply: 1000 watt
Water Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCIe 3.0
Plus a few other things here and there

So I go shopping on Cyber Monday to my favorite online store - Newegg.
I have been a happy camper there for many many years - no issues EVER.

So I was going back and forth with my brother on either (2) GTX 1060s or (2) GTX 1080s (will buy the 2nd later down the road due to price point). We went back and forth for a bit and ended up deciding on the (2) GTX 1060's. Order placed and speedy delivery, as always, from Newegg.

BEFORE opening up anything I say, as I am looking at the box for the GPUs "Man I cant wait to build my PC. It will be nice to finally have a GOOD machine!" "And SLI technology will be awesome as well"

I quickly see there is no SLI logo on the box. I look on the Newegg site, says it is not SLI ready. I did live chat with Newegg rep and also Asus rep - Same conclusion. WTF, We overlooked that it was not SLI ready :( So disappointed BUT I had no worries since Newegg will just allow me to do a refund or maybe even replace it for the GTX 1080 and I pay the difference. Wishful thinking.

I can only return it for a direct replacement and nothing more. No refund.

I chatted with Newegg all day at various times and no luck. This is truly a mistake on my part for not reading properly the specs, I was too excited when ordering but really, I can't return them? I have absolutely zero use for these cards. I do not know anyone that can buy them from me at close to what I paid.

Am I really stuck with this purchase? I was advised by a good friend to post here since he has seen that company reps at times interact with folks like us.

I am hoping to see if maybe a rep from Newegg can assist in any way possible :( or maybe to just re-confirm my fears once and for all that I am stuck with GPUs that I will end up throwing away or letting them sit in a closet floor. :(

This is very disappointing to me since I hold Newegg in such high regard and I recommend them to all those I speak with for online shopping for a good 10yrs now.
I do understand that I am at fault and not Newegg but I spent close to $600 bucks on these 2 cards. To not be able to enjoy them hurts a lot since I work hard for my earnings and throwing $600 bucks out the window is something I will never be comfortable with.

Thx for reading
Looking forward to the feedback/insight

Hopefully they will help you out...but that's a dopey return policy!

You can try selling them in the classifieds here?

@JrClocker, while a good idea for the classifieds here, the OP as a new member wouldn't be close to having the requirements to utilize the system very quickly (with post count, etc).

@ the OP. That really stinks for sure. Have you tried calling them instead and talking to a person on the phone? Almost every retailer that I've seen is willing to take back a product, especially if it hasn't been opened. Minus a restocking fee of some % (generally 20%)

@JrClocker, while a good idea for the classifieds here, the OP as a new member wouldn't be close to having the requirements to utilize the system very quickly (with post count, etc).

@ the OP. That really stinks for sure. Have you tried calling them instead and talking to a person on the phone? Almost every retailer that I've seen is willing to take back a product, especially if it hasn't been opened. Minus a restocking fee of some % (generally 20%)

Today was chats during my work hours.
Tomorrow I was planning on calling in.

I totally get, from a business perspective, the need for specific return policies during the holiday season and other times during the year. Not allowing returns for a GPU? A GPU that is a good seller from a great brand (my personal opinion)? They won't have a hard time re-selling. Especially since still fresh in OEM factory package and no attempts at opening the box.

I bought a 2016 Audi TTS a few months back and that came with a 30 day return policy. (yes, that would hit me hard on my wallet and credit score should I not grab another car from them and just go elsewhere BUT at least the option is present) A $50K car has a return policy but not a pair of GPUs that cost close to $600?

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't want to come off as harsh to Newegg at this moment. If am, then apologies to Newegg for that.

I would really appreciate them coming through for me is all.

Boom!

Tried Chat once more while watching the Cowboys vs. Vikings game - Success!

They saw that I contacted them a few times today for the same issue with 3 different reps and advised that as long as the product is OEM packaging that they will issue an RMA for a refund.

Case closed. Newegg came through and made it right, although, it took 4 tries and me venting on this forum.

Thx for reading up fellas and also for the 2 replies.

Will probably now wait for the GTX1080ti in January/Febuary. Makes sense to wait if I am considering dual GTX 1080s, If it is not that ridiculously priced. Gives me time to save more for it. We'll see how it plays out.

Glad it worked out for you. :thup: The 1080Ti release date will probably be known at CES next month. That's a lot of patience. LOL I went nuts waiting for my new card.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. I hope you decide to stick around and participate on these forums, always happy to see new members!

Glad they sorted that out for you, but according to what I am seeing on several sites the 1060 supports SLI, but has no SLI connector. It simply uses spare PCI-e bandwidth to synch up the cards.

From what I was able to find it is only disabled on 3GB cards. Which after a bit more research seems to be the standard editions. However, there are almost as many choices for the 1060 6GB version as the 3GB cards.

Ragardless glad the OP got their situation sorted out.

That would make a pair of RX 480s one heck of an option, if one could be picked up on the cheap. I'm going to give a point to Team Red there.

That would make a pair of RX 480s one heck of an option, if one could be picked up on the cheap. I'm going to give a point to Team Red there.
Why? 2 480's trades blows with a 1070 for roughly the same cost. It makes perfect sense to me why Nv did what they did with the 1060. Why would you buy a 1070 when you could SLI 2 cheap 1060's for less money and get better performance.
2x 480's = 1070
2x 1060's would be > 1070

The 480 is supposed to scale really well in Xfire. Even at 80%, based on my testing, 2 x 480> 1070. And my 1070 is no slouch. Two 480s is bumping 1080 territory from what I've read. My 480 (reference) got better than 50% of an overclocked 1070 in Heaven. Two of them would have smoked it.

Going back over my scores they are almost in line with those. Catzilla seems to like the Green card more than the Red card. LOL The score was a lot more lopsided than I got with Heaven. The 480 got 1314 in Heaven and the 1070 got 2412 (2504 w/OC), so 54%. I had thought the 480 x 2 was reported to be scaling at around 90%, but these were real early reports, possibly before the 1070 came out. I think my game bench scores were closer to Catzilla's scale too. So, yeah, I wouldn't run out and pick up a pair of 480s. But if I already had a $250 8 GB card and found another down the road for $175-$200 it would be a lot of bang to add for relatively cheap.

Nice graphs! That pretty much covers it. :thup: I keep forgetting about HWbot.

Back