• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500K overclock limited by my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ynnad87

Hey guys,

My mobo is a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3

This is my first time OCing my CPU. With this mobo you can't alter the vCore directly, it's done through an offset setting 'Dynamic Vcore (DVID)'.

I've got a $40 decent air cooler on the CPU. I can get it to 4.1 OK and stable, but much more than that say 4.2 / 4.3 it crashes in some games before too long, and with 4.4 / 4.5 it won't even boot, it stops partway through the boot and the BIOS reverts back to the backup BIOS and default clock speed / voltage settings.

I assume that I'm not getting the voltage setting right. Core voltage is currently saying 1.104V in CPUZ. Although normally a different value is reported in BIOS.

Any help achieving 4.4 or 4.5 would be greatly appreciated.

enable cpu pll over voltage, after that try a higher offset i think mine needed like 1.3v for 4.5ghz

Thanks, I have read the guide, but I think my motherboard is a bit unique with the offset setting 'Dynamic Vcore (DVID)'.

See in BIOS, VCore voltage is reported to be 1.32v. Not sure why CPUZ reports something different. Is the voltage dynamic, will it rise in CPUZ if i put the CPU under stress or something? Or is CPUZ correct and BIOS lying?

I get The offset. What you need to do is make the voltage match what the guide says. If it says 1.25V and you start at 1.15, then you need 100mv increase.

Voltage could be dynamic.. pit a load on it and see. :)

As far as what is right, post up a picture cpuz and hwmonitor...let's see... your best bet is to reset bios, see what the bios says, and see what windows said.

I had that board and processor for 4.5GHz I set the total Vcore to 1.344 showing in CPU-Z. I also use DVID (Dynamic voltage identification), so just + what you need to get to 1.344v under stress testing.

Thanks for your responses. CPU PLL Overvoltage is already enabled, and as i said, BIOS reports 1.32v which is very different to CPUZ.

I've taken screenshots of both HWMonitor and CPUZ under load (running prime 95). Hopefully this helps someone solve the mystery?

HWMonitor.png
CPUZ.png

You don't need CPU PLL Overvoltage enabled for 4.5GHz clock it will shorten the life of the Processor. What you see in Bios is Intel's Load line for vcore, that is why you have a voltage drop in CPU-Z. All you need to do is set DVID to +0.225v for 4.5GHz.

Ok, I have set the DVID to +0.2230 (couldn't choose an integer of 5, only 10's) as instructed. I'm running Prime now, and will test out some games tonight when the kids are in bed.

However, which voltage value in either CPUZ or HWMON should i be checking to see that it's sitting at the magical ~1.3V range? Because CPUZ is still showing 1.16V fore 'core voltage' and HWMON has CPU VCORE under the motherboard section that matches CPUZ, and underneath the CPU section it's saying the VID is 1.4V - is this the one i should treat as the true value? 1.4V a bit high?

Cheers,

Dan.

Last edited:
Wow I did not have that problem with my old motherboard and CPU-Z. The Core voltage did not go up in CPU-Z so look at the VID for core voltage, the software is off. I would try the voltage at 1.344v for 4.5GHz.

Do you have the software utility that comes with that motherboard it should read the core voltage correctly? Also do you have the most recent Bios?

Yes most recent BIOS is installed. I got a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bluescreen just before, not sure if that's related to my OCing or the driver updates I've done for Gigabyte and Intel chipset etc.

I tried installing the Gigbayte program that can monitor CPU voltage but it wouldn't install and I've not been able to get around that despite some Googling. So I'm at a bit of a loss now!

At this moment the VCore voltage displayed in BIOS is at 1.354v - with no DVID offset. But I swear this reported voltage in BIOS jumps around for god knows why.

PLL is likely not needed that low. If it 'shortens the life of the processor' you'll never know. People ran these chips from years well above 5ghz with PLL override enabled. Non issue.

Please post SCREENSHOTS of cpuz and hwmonitor both on idle and another picture on load.

Yes most recent BIOS is installed. I got a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bluescreen just before, not sure if that's related to my OCing or the driver updates I've done for Gigabyte and Intel chipset etc.

I tried installing the Gigbayte program that can monitor CPU voltage but it wouldn't install and I've not been able to get around that despite some Googling. So I'm at a bit of a loss now!

At this moment the VCore voltage displayed in BIOS is at 1.354v - with no DVID offset. But I swear this reported voltage in BIOS jumps around for god knows why.

Try Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for looking at Vcore, Link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Hmm, installed that, but can't see where to read the vcore voltage?

PLL is likely not needed that low. If it 'shortens the life of the processor' you'll never know. People ran these chips from years well above 5ghz with PLL override enabled. Non issue.

Please post SCREENSHOTS of cpuz and hwmonitor both on idle and another picture on load.

im still running mine with it enabled :)

This is happening to me too got same i5-2500k and max what can i overclock with 1.35 is 4.3Ghz when i check multiplier to 4.4Ghz Windows will freeze on starup ( win 10 loading cyrcles ) or in windows like in 5 minutes any suggeestion ?

some chips jsut cant clock, sounds like yours might be one of them. only suggestion is pll over voltage enabled, some people need it lower than others.

Back