• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8TB WD External Drive came formated as exFAT - Should I format it to NTFS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
8TB USB 3.0 External Drive Western Digital My Book WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN came formatted as exFAT out of the box.
It will be used to backup Windows PC files periodically.

Should I reformat it to NTFS?

Right, the only advantage of exFAT is old Mac compatibility?
I can't think of any other reason, that's why I was asking.

What OS are you going to use it with? If you format it in W10 then W7 may not be able to see it. I know that sounds stupid, but it does happen and it's a right royal PITA when it does. Trust me on this. Formatted within W7 and W10 sees it just fine. W10 is pretty much the anti Christ of OS'. I'm still trying to figure out what it did with my W7 bootmgr.exe.

edit: FYI, I had that problem with an 8TB WD Blue HDD.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a problem for an NTFS system to read and work with. Plug it in and if it can be seen in Windows file explorer and if you can read and write test files to it than there is no reason to reformat it. Although I will say, sometimes drives formatted in ExfAT on a MAC cannot be read on a Windows computer. But there seems to be no problem the other way around. MAC's extfat format must be a little proprietary.

Back